How Long Did it Take You To Like/Love Running??

Options
13»

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't remember... It might have been my first 5k. Or the first time I could run a mile without stopping to walk. Or the first time I could run two miles without stopping to walk. Or when I first started feeling my legs getting stronger. Or the first time I ran with a group.

When I first started, it was just a means to an end. I wanted to lose weight, so I assumed I had to exercise. Somewhere along the way, I began to love running and I decided even if I never lost a single pound, I would still keep up with running. I love going for runs on sunny days with the birds tweeting. I love that it is "me" time. I love that I can do it anywhere.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It took cancer for me, no kidding! I was never a "runner" prior to getting sick, but when the Doctor told me I couldn't run anymore it kind of sparked something. I could only run about 30 seconds at a time initially but somehow evolved into a marathon and now am involved in multisport!! I doubt that will help, but I guess what i am trying to say is imagine if you, no crap, really were not physically able to run, count your blessings and get out there and do it!!

LiveStrong
    Jas
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to not hate or like/love running? I'm trying to gauge how long I'll be dreading the workouts for the Couch to 10K app.

It took me about a month to realise that it was something that I enjoyed enough to start planning it into my diary, and I started seeing the pounds drop off.

I think I was about 6 weeks into the Couch to 5K when my diary got very difficult for a week, so I ended up actually putting time into working out how I could fit in an hour for a session the following week to catch up.

That's the point where I wwent out and bought some new running shorts and tech tees.

The clincher was probably when I bought new running shoes, which was an eye watering experience.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I fall in and out with running, and I've discovered my relationship with it is directly proportional to how hard I train. When I have a goal in mind (say, a race I've signed up for or a challenge to run X number of miles in a given timeframe) I am far too stubborn to give up on that goal so I go for it and really commit to a training plan. During each run I grumble and complain at some point, but towards the end I feel much better, and then I feel great when I have completed it!

I have to see a "point" to running though - I have to have a goal. I'm not one of those people who can just happily skip out of the door for a random 5 mile run because I feel like it. I have to actually be working towards something.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running isn't compulsory, and not everyone who does it regularly loves it! Conversely, not everyone who loves it is good at it.

I love the idea of running - the other day I dreamt I easily ran a 4:08 Marathon without training - the reality not always so much - it's a good day if I run a 36 minute 5K.

I've blogged some beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH?month=201105

But in your position, absolutely the best thing you could do to make running enjoyable is to do at least one of your training runs a week with the friends who are doing the race with you!
  • katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am still only a walk/runner and I still kinda hate it.
    I want to be good at it so bad. I have never ever been a good runner, I run out of breath so quickly. It is a lot about pace, don't try to stay with your friends necessarily.
    The best advice I've gotten to date is to walk as fast as you can and just skip into a running cantor instead of a walk at that same pace. That was the first mile I ever ran through, at 3.8mph, but I ran it!
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I only like running while I am working towards a goal, like the tough mudder I am doing 6/1/14. I also didn't feel myself get comfortable running for about 3 months, I started running in early November and finally could be ok running in February
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I JUST started running (today is day 4). I use a C25K app. It starts off with a 5 minute walk and then you go into a 60 second run and 90 second walk interval. The first day I ran it was on a full stomach. Bad idea. My lungs were burning and I thought was going to pass away. Day 2 I ran on an empty stomach. Felt like a million bucks after. I used to get shin pains when I walked, tied my shoes tighter and that's not a problem now. I run on the road instead of the sidewalk because the asphalt is softer than the cement. I run REALLY slow. Turtle slow. I didn't think I'd like it but I really do enjoy it now. You just have to try different things and see what works best for you!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 1.5 years and still don't love it. The longest I've run is a 5K race, felt great when I finished and for some reason just kept running. Don't know if I ever want to run a 10K, but I know I can if I train and put my mind to it. Three miles is easy for me now and don't know if I want to push myself to do more.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Running was something I simply couldn't do when I was at my heaviest. I could hardly walk through the shopping mall without swollen ankles. Over time, running became the symbol of all the things I "couldn't" and would never do because of my weight – it represented my limitations, perceived and actual. I would solve world hunger and find Jimmy Hoffa's remains before I could run. When I was about 60 lbs down, I decided to try to run and I ran one lap (3/4 mile) around a small lake at a local park – a HUGE accomplishment for me. In that moment, instead of being a symbol of all I couldn't do, it became the symbol of the fact that I could do anything I set my mind to. In that moment I loved it.

This is one of the most inspiring things I have read in a long time! You are amazing! Thank you for that.

Aww, thanks! It means a lot to hear that!
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the responses! I'll check out the links.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think I started liking it better after I started to notice improvements. Running is hard, especially if you are new at it, and most especially if you are overweight or not in great shape anyway. It hurts sometimes, and it's hard to breathe. There are still times that I hate it...while I'm doing it. But I started to learn to appreciate the runner's high that I got afterwards. Working hard like that gives you feel good endorphins, and that coupled with the feeling of accomplishment when you run longer or faster than you have before, makes it really addictive.

Running now is it's own motivator. Now I do other exercises (like strength training) so that I can run better without getting hurt. Also it's become motivator for losing more weight. I know that I'll be faster if I'm lighter, so I am motivated to watch my diet.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    About 20 years, I would say.

I didn't like running until I learned proper form. I didn't love it until I learned to slow down, run most of my runs at an "easy" pace and increase my overall volume.
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did week 1, workout 2 tonight, it was MUCH easier than the first one! I'm hoping that it keeps getting better!

Thanks for all the advice!