Constipation

Options
Is there a good VERY low calorie food out there that will help with this? Been going on for over a week. Have tried laxatives, stool softeners, fiber capsules, etc...none of it has really helped that much. Making plans to see a doctor but the one that came recommended can't get me in until July.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Coffee. :drinker:

For reals, though.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options

For reals, though.

This!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements - not Milk of Magnesia. You find them in the vitamin aisle. Good luck!
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    HIGH-FIBER FOODS! Fruits, veggies...raspberries, pears, apples, black beans, almonds, pistachios, etc
  • Ansie13
    Ansie13 Posts: 86
    Options
    Prune juice
    I swear by it. :) you might have had to much fiber which in turn does the opposite effects and backs you up.
    Drink lots of water as well.
    Feel better
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    kevita.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options

For reals, though.

This!

Yup...coffee it is!
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Metamucil EVERYDAY. Start out with a little and gradually increase to the full dose. You should also see a doctor but fiber intake is the first thing you should look at.

Edit: You need to be consistent with taking one product/vitamin instead of trying different things everyday. If it's due to your fiber intake it probably won't be fixed overnight. The Metamucil will probably make you feel worse the first few days but you just need to power through it and continue taking it :) good luck
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

For reals, though.

This!

And a cigarette. But skip the cigarette. :wink:
  • geniamoody
    Options
    Pysillium Husks...mix into a protein shake/smoothie. Drink 8+ glasses of water a day. Works like a charm! I found at Kroger, Whole Foods, and the Vitamin Shoppe.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Try Magnesium Citrate (the liquid, drinkable kind) which you can get over the counter. If you do, don't make plans for rest of the day.
    Try increasing your water intake also because even the best laxatives will not work if you are dehydrated.

edited for typo
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Mg Citrate will get you moving and clean you out...
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowfoods.com/Psyllium-Husk-Powder-Vegetarian-12oz.htm

Basically it's unflavored Metamucil.

Barring something more out of the ordinary than your run of the mill "chronic constipation," around 1 Tbsp / day should work wonders.

It tastes a little funky (sort of like eating dusty grass), but not terrible. I'm used to it now, but I started out mixing it with 1/4 cup of apple juice.

ETA: Probably bordering on TMI, but Amazon sells it in 12 lb. bulk bags. :drinker:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

For reals, though.

This!

And a cigarette. But skip the cigarette. :wink:

Beat me to it...:smokin:
  • danyellegbaker
    danyellegbaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I was just about to ask the same question.I have always been regular so this is very odd.I have tried everything even smooth move tea:blushing: which worked however it says not for everyday use and when i stop well it stops:sad: Super annoying I dont know what to do and I think it's holding back my weight loss.UGGGGG any help,suggestions are welcomed!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Is there a good VERY low calorie food out there that will help with this? Been going on for over a week. Have tried laxatives, stool softeners, fiber capsules, etc...none of it has really helped that much. Making plans to see a doctor but the one that came recommended can't get me in until July.

Depends on why you are constipated.

Could be lack of fiber.....eat more fruit and vegetables
    Could be lack of liquid......drink more
    Could be from a lot of processed food......eat more natural
    Could be from foods that are naturally restraining......avoid them
    Could be from certain medications.....wait until you are done with them, or talk to your health care provider if you take them long term.

The most common causes for constipation is lack of fiber , combined with not enough liquid intake......
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplement
    Coffee
    Apple juice
    Prune juice
    Beans
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Water!! I can't see your diary so I don't know how much water you usually drink, but many people who suffer with constipation are simply dehydrated - you need water in your poop to soften it and help move it along! TMI, but true!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free candies do it for me every time!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Lots of H2O!!