What do you do with discarded egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Eggs are so awesome. So full of protein and vitamins. They even come in their own microwave safe container.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I am just disgusted by the general wastefulness - throwing away egg yolks (which is healthy btw) and buying Subway and then tossing the bun while millions of children are starving? Nice.....First world problems.....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My dog loves them and his coat is so shiny that it's blinding sometimes.

Have you seen your eye doctor about this?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating the entire egg. There is a lot of nutrition in the yolk,not just fat.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart

If you're looking to cut fat, I'd cut it out in some other area.

Agreed. While the whites do provide protein, they don't provide much else.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/112/2

For the majority of my existence, I only ate the white because I didn't like the yoke. Upon learning this a few months ago, I've learned to like it because that's where all the good stuff is!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1342621600180_8193950.png

LMAO Genius.
  • MsDillieBar
    MsDillieBar Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg!!!!

I keep a flock of chickens just for the eggs and wouldn't think to throw any part of it away. They keep my family of four, my two dogs, and my cats in eggs from spring to fall. The shells go in the garden. Love them!

I don't buy into the whole "bad" foods thing. Eggs, dairy, potatoes, bread, pasta, sugar, etc, etc get so demonized.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

It's on the label, I'm sure, but I have no intention of finding out. Eggs are relatively cheap, and they're quick, easy, and versatile. Oh, and it's "clean eating." MFP bonus points!

Dito. No intention.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg!!!!

I keep a flock of chickens just for the eggs and wouldn't think to throw any part of it away. They keep my family of four, my two dogs, and my cats in eggs from spring to fall. The shells go in the garden. Love them!

I don't buy into the whole "bad" foods thing. Eggs, dairy, potatoes, bread, pasta, sugar, etc, etc get so demonized.

Yup our chickens get the shells fed back to them, and when they overproduce, they get yummy meals of scrambled eggs. I personally don't like hard cooked eggs (I only eat the whites in them) but my husband eats about a dozen a week. I just take the yolks I don't eat and give them back to the hens. It's a win win all around! Our 5 cats all get a little egg every day (sanctioned by our vet!!!) and they are happy with it.

But seriously? Eggs are very good for you and healthy...all that old research from when i was a kid saying eggs were bad and led to heart issues etc have been proven wrong. So eat the eggs...eat all the eggs...yum yum yum. I made egg drop soup this morning for breakfast with a whole egg and it was wonderful :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    if you're seriously going to get rid of the yolk, maybe you can compost it with the shells and put it into the soil for some tomato plants or veggie garden.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    People please do not feed your dogs your left overs! It just as bad for them as it is for you! That is why they make DOG food... It has everything they need in it! Working as a vet tech for 8 years I have seen dogs and cats come in with health problems that could be avoided if the loving owners would just stick to dog food! I know you feel like you are treating them and you love them but you can love them into an early grave as well! ok rant over!!

Funny.
    Most dog foods are not dog- but bird food.
    So unless you use one of the best brands available you are not treating your dog as what he is - a carnivore.

I realize that post is really old (from 2011) but it is still hilarious. Eggs are probably closer to what a dog should/would eat than a lot of dog foods. :laugh:

To answer the OP - an old OP - if I have extra egg yolks for some odd reason, my dogs do get them. I tend to eat the whole egg but have had some recipes that call for just egg white.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Send them to me and I'll eat them.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg!!!!

Sigh, I miss the days when my family owned a little flock of chickens. Fresh eggs are best eggs.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When you're done cooking your egg whites, throw the yolks in the pan and cook them. Then feed them to the wild birds - they love them and the fat is good for their nestlings this time of year. What the birds don't eat, the other critters will.

I agree! If you don't have dogs to feed, give the yolks to the wildlife outdoors. I hate the idea of wasting all those good nutrients down the drain.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I haven't started buying prepared egg whites yet, so I'm separating the egg white from the yolk and using just the egg white for my breakfast sandwich. I won't be using the egg yolks - custards just aren't worth the fat calories for me - so what do I do with them? What's the best way to get rid of them?

I never discard them, I eat them.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog?

My dogs love eggs. I often give them my yolks. Although, most of the benefits dogs get from eggs come from getting the whites, too. The yolks still make a nice treat.

It seems a waste of food to me to just throw the yolks away. Maybe I'm just like that because I grew up poor.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Eat them ?
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I cooked them and give them to my dog. It is really good for them. He gets one a day. If you don't have a dog then just throw them away.

^^ THIS. My pup loves 'em.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My dog loves them and his coat is so shiny that it's blinding sometimes.

Have you seen your eye doctor about this?

Yeah, he told me to stop feeding my dog egg yolks. I just nodded, found out his home address and now I have a new use for egg yolks.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my cat. He loves them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my cat. He loves them.

So the egg yolks were for the cat?