Extreme fatigue a quick nap turns into a all nighter, Help!

Options

Replies

• CynGyn
    CynGyn Posts: 16
    Options
    Female, 43, 5 4", 173, desk job, I work out 5 mornings a week at 6 am, with 2 evening zumba classes twice a week.

Mon - kickboxing
    Tues - Strength
    Wed - Spin
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Yoga
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Female, 43, 5 4", 173, desk job, I work out 5 mornings a week at 6 am, with 2 evening zumba classes twice a week.

Mon - kickboxing
    Tues - Strength
    Wed - Spin
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Yoga

What do you mean by "strength" exactly? What do you do?

And what are your ultimate goals?
  • CynGyn
    CynGyn Posts: 16
    Options
    I have joined a fitness studio, with a mixture of classes.
    Strength consists of lifting weights, focusing on several different parts of the body
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jonny is correct on the TDEE there just isn't enough there...

as for her macros that is quite personal...based on BF%, TDEE etc...

Protien goals are normally 1g per each pound of LBM and you get the percentaged based on TDEE

Fats the calculation is as follows: LBM x 9 x 0.35/TDEE to get a percentage

Carbs what is left...

Mine work out to 45/30/25...but I am always over fats, have been pretty good at protien and always under carbs...

But fatigue is a sure sign there isn't enough food...hence my statement of "hunger is not always the best indicator of what the body needs"...here is an obvious case.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Mon - kickboxing
    Tues - Strength
    Wed - Spin
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Yoga

That's a whole lot of exercise...for not a lot of calories.

I wake up early to workout at 6am, too. I know exactly how you feel. I have weeks where I am so busy and crazy that I simply don't eat enough. It's not healthy and I can always tell by how tired I am and by my performance at the gym the next morning. If I wake up starving, I know I"m doing something wrong.

I'm far from perfect at this but when I hit my goals, I feel 1,000 times better. Your exhaustion is a lack of calories and possibly water.

Also, even when I do hit my calorie goals, if I lay down for a nap at 6 there is no way on Earth I'm waking up. You have to push through...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OK.

I estimate your average TDEE is around 2100 per day.

I suggest that you manually set your calorie goal to 1600, and not log back exercise calories. Set your protein goal to 30%, fat to 30%, carbs to 40%. Hit those goals as closely as you can every day.

If you're not using a food scale to measure portions, go get yourself one right now. Decent ones are only $10 on Amazon and $15 or so at Walmart. It's very important that you accurately measure food. Volume measurements for solid foods like ham, chicken, cheese, vegetables, etc., are not accurate.

If you continue to feel exhausted, cut back a bit on the exercise by building in more rest days. For example, drop the spinning on Wednesdays. Reevaluate in 2 weeks.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you continue to feel exhausted, cut back a bit on the exercise by building in more rest days. For example, drop the spinning on Wednesdays. Reevaluate in 2 weeks.

This is good advice. I'm not sure how your weekends go, but you might want to spread out your workouts better. It's pretty exhausting to get up early every day of the work week to workout. I definitely give myself that extra hour or so of sleep twice a week by either going at night or using the day as a rest day....
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I often see posts when people go from being sedentary and eating a caloric surplus, to exercising WAY too much and eating at a caloric deficit. And they wonder why they feel like crap. it doesn't take an expert to figure out whats going on. When you dont refuel your car and step on the accelerator, what will eventually happen? You'll run out of gas. That's what happened to your body.

I can't recover from intense exercise like I could when I was a little younger. Once you're over 35, it becomes a bit harder to maintain. The caloric deficit contributes greatly to this.

Drop spin on Wednesday and call it a recovery day. Don't feel obligated to do anything but rest and relax. See how that affects you.

If that doesn't hep, try eating back most, if not all your exercise calories

If still fatigued, I would reschedule to allow a full rest day between exercise days and add a refeed meal to your diet, at least weekly. Three days of exercise per week is plenty to achieve your goals if done intelligently. Intensity trumps volume.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OK.

WOW! Yeah, that's such a huge difference from 2086. Good thing you stepped up and corrected FatFreeFrolicking. Those extra 14 calories could cause OP to JSF.

fuXEjpd.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OK.

WOW! Yeah, that's such a huge difference from 2086. Good thing you stepped up and corrected FatFreeFrolicking. Those extra 14 calories could cause OP to JSF.

Congratulations to FFF for her lucky guess that the OP has a sedentary lifestyle?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will def try to hit the goals.

Your food goals, in order of importance, should be this:
    Hit Calorie Goal
    Hit Protein Goal
    Hit Fat Goal
    Hit Carb Goal (less important unless you are eating excessive carbs, but that is hard to do when focusing on the above first)

If you're hitting your calorie goal, your protein goal and your fat goal, you must therefore also be hitting your carb goal, because maths

in the above list, I''d put "hit fat and carb goals" as one target, because if all the above are hit, then these two will be hit together

It's also important to have appropriate goals. Hitting your calorie and protein goal won't matter if those goals are not appropriate.

good point!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OK.

Congratulations to FFF for her lucky guess that the OP has a sedentary lifestyle?

Yep, lucky she knows how to read and use a TDEE calculator, I guess. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OK.

You're laughing, but it really is simply luck that her number was close to a decent best guess.

If OP had turned out to be a nurse, factory worker, daycare worker, or some other job that has her on her feet for hours a day then 2086 would have been a dramatic underestimation.

This is not a point you can argue, nor is it worth arguing.,
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    First guess would be not eating enough but hard to tell without seeing your calorie intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OK.

You're laughing, but it really is simply luck that her number was close to a decent best guess.

If OP had turned out to be a nurse, factory worker, daycare worker, or some other job that has her on her feet for hours a day then 2086 would have been a dramatic underestimation.

The funny part is that *all* the calculators are just an estimate to begin with, so 2100 is also a guess. The calorie-out part of the equation is where the "everyone is different" comes into play. She will have to pick an estimated TDEE for a starting point and make adjustments based on progress.

And I wouldn't have said anything at all had you been polite to FFF in the first place. There was no call to be rude.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Take a 26min nap... that has been proven to be the most effective amount of time for a power nap, any longer than that and you will feel groggy and stay in bed.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Could be not enough iron or other nutrient. Or could just be not getting enough sleep. Even if your hours spent in bed are right amount you might not be hitting enough cycles in your sleep. Try http://sleepyti.me/

Or your circadian rhythm is off. All possible. I get tired in the afternoon sometimes and I know its because I haven't been getting to bed early enough.
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yup try more protien - should have some at every meal. I'm actually a napper after dinner also, however I SIT (slouch) on the sofa and just lean my head back a bit. About 20 - 30 min. If I lay down I'd be sleeping much longer. This position lets me just get a quick nap.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OK.

The funny part is that *all* the calculators are just an estimate to begin with, so 2100 is also a guess. The calorie-out part of the equation is where the "everyone is different" comes into play. She will have to pick an estimated TDEE for a starting point and make adjustments based on progress.

And I wouldn't have said anything at all had you been polite to FFF in the first place. There was no call to be rude.

Bahahaha :laugh: Thank you WendyTerry420 for acknowledging Jonnythan's condescending demeanor. Glad I'm not the only one who notices! He has it out to get me. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OK.

Bahahaha :laugh: Thank you WendyTerry420 for acknowledging Jonnythan's condescending demeanor. Glad I'm not the only one who notices! He has it out to get me. :wink:

I don't think he's out to get you personally. He just needs to learn how to be polite. Some people have an incessant need to be The One with the answers, as if no one else knows how to plug numbers into an internet calculator.

And it's true that all TDEE calculators are estimates. When I first started, all the calculators were saying that my TDEE was around 2100, but after several months of meticulous tracking, my actual TDEE turned out to be about 2500. The calculators are based on averages, so they can be very close for most people, but can also be outrageously wrong for outliers.