IIFIYM and TDEE?

Options

Replies

• BKNeenz
    BKNeenz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are following the TDEE method of counting calories, your TDEE - 10-20% would give you your total calories for the day. You've already factored in exercise so you don't eat back those calories. So you go by total, not net.

And that's the question I've been trying to get answered that no one had replied to so thank you. But it also doesn't make sense this wouldn't be the NET calories in the MFP app.

Goal of 1522
    Let's say I ate 1500 cals for the day
    Work out burn of 250 cal
    You have a net of 1250 which is below my BMR which doesn't seem healthy if long term if you don't eat them back.

What would be the draw back of the "sedentary" option as a net goal if I wanted to be able to eat the calories from working out back?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    If you are following the TDEE method of counting calories, your TDEE - 10-20% would give you your total calories for the day. You've already factored in exercise so you don't eat back those calories. So you go by total, not net.

And that's the question I've been trying to get answered that no one had replied to so thank you. But it also doesn't make sense this wouldn't be the NET calories in the MFP app.

Goal of 1522
    Let's say I ate 1500 cals for the day
    Work out burn of 250 cal
    You have a net of 1250 which is below my BMR which doesn't seem healthy if long term if you don't eat them back.

What would be the draw back of the "sedentary" option as a net goal if I wanted to be able to eat the calories from working out back?

...I answered you on the first page.

the difference between the "sedentary" option and the "lightly active" options on MFP... and eating back your exercise calories, are that you'd have a different amount base calorie to start with.
    If you're working out, but put in "sedentary" on MFP, you're not doing yourself any favors by effectively lying to the system.

More than that, if observed over a period of time... TDEE method and MFP+exercise calorie amounts are typically pretty close to one another...

assuming you put in legit information to start with.
  • BKNeenz
    BKNeenz Posts: 17 Member
    Options

the difference between the "sedentary" option and the "lightly active" options on MFP... and eating back your exercise calories, are that you'd have a different amount base calorie to start with.
    If you're working out, but put in "sedentary" on MFP, you're not doing yourself any favors by effectively lying to the system.

More than that, if observed over a period of time... TDEE method and MFP+exercise calorie amounts are typically pretty close to one another...

I understand what you are saying but what is throwing me is why the calorie goal is not the NET calorie goal. The previous poster said that the 1522 is not the NET goal. Is that incorrect?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly:
    Total calorie intake should be 1522 regardless of what I do for the day, no matter what you enter for activity. That is what I am asking.

1522 is NOT the NET goal on MFP once my workout activity (HRM) and fitbit adjustments are taken into account.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I understand what you are saying but what is throwing me is why the calorie goal is not the NET calorie goal. The previous poster said that the 1522 is not the NET goal. Is that incorrect?

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly:
    Total calorie intake should be 1522 regardless of what I do for the day, no matter what you enter for activity. That is what I am asking.

1522 is NOT the NET goal on MFP once my workout activity (HRM) and fitbit adjustments are taken into account.
    ok. so.
    let's simplify.
    TDEE method takes your workout calories into consideration. You don't worry about what your HRM or fitbit says as the method is a generalization of what you eat + how much you work out to get a deficit net goal.
    If you're using the TDEE method, be honest with how active you are, and go from there.

If you're using MFP, select lightly active... or active.. then look at your workout (fitbit+HRM) calories earned.. and eat a portion of them back... but you have to add those in to get the net goal correct.

whichever method you choose, if you put your information in correctly... and give it time... they're actually not that far off from one another.

So, with your numbers.

If you're doing the TDEE method with the cut, the number it gave you for being active was... what... 1522?

Then eat 1522 total for the day.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IIIFYIM- If it fits your macros (rubbish)

Another clueless wonder...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    TDEE- Total daily energy expenditure.

:huh:

In what way is IIFYM rubbish?!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just started following IIFYM's - how would you fit a 500 calorie piece of cake in there? It would be protein shakes for the rest of the day. I like a bit of flexibility but that's is how life goes - a dinner at your mom's is not necessarily going to be a clean eat but you can make the best of it. Anyway i'm the worst type - a recent believer - i drank the kool-aid (figuratively not literally because it didn't fit my macros).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A really great explanation of both here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I also find a lot of people who criticize IIFYM do not fully understand what it means. Yes, you can eat food that people label "bad", but you still have to balance your macros and calorie goal, so it is not like you can eat unlimited amounts like some people tend to assume. The majority of food you eat would be what most would consider "healthy".
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    That moment when someone who doesn't understand what IIFYM means and calls it rubbish...

...and all the people following IIFYM with awesome and fit profile pictures or awesome progress come in to ask why it's rubbish.

***AWKWARD***
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

She can't and refuses to explain her stance, meaning she actually doesn't know how it works.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    What's a macro? Aren't they fish?

You're thinking Mackerel. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the rubbish portion of this. Please explain.

Yes, my understanding of rubbish is "waste material."

IIFYM means choosing foods that give provide you with the ratio of macronutrients (fats, protein, & carbs), according to your goals. So you can choose your daily depending on your macro goals.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm not speaking from a weight loss standpoint, more so a body recomp/cutting perspective.

Care to elaborate a little? 'cause there are a few of us here that eat with macros in mind that have had success with body recomp/cutting.

I am not discrediting macros, I just don't agree with the IIFYM justification that I have seen commonly used- eating 500 calories of chocolate cake and 500 calories of lean chicken is not the same thing.

Chocolate cake and chickent breast have *very* different macros. So choosing one over the other would be entirely based on your macros. If you go for the cake and haven't met your protein goal, then you aren't following IIFYM.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Anyways, I'm out.

Feel free to disregard my rubbish comment.

tumblr_mbq5ztWDVj1qhx4f1o1_500.gif
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options

She can't and refuses to explain her stance, meaning she actually doesn't know how it works.

She's reading all this too even though she act like she left lol :laugh: :tongue:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from a weight loss standpoint, more so a body recomp/cutting perspective.

Care to elaborate a little? 'cause there are a few of us here that eat with macros in mind that have had success with body recomp/cutting.

I am not discrediting macros, I just don't agree with the IIFYM justification that I have seen commonly used- eating 500 calories of chocolate cake and 500 calories of lean chicken is not the same thing.
    Strong comparison skills- one is source of protein and one is a source of carbs, fat and unbridled ecstasy
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

AKA it's over your head.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "If I Ingest Frozen Yogurt, I Melt"

mmmm... did someone say frozen yogurt?? <3
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wish I could pound back 500 calories worth of chocolate cake, but then I'd blow my carb macros. Google Alan Argon, he explains it in his youtube video (with Omar Isuf) very well.