Am I eating enough?!?! Help

Options
Hello you lovely people. I am trying to lose weight but appear to have lost my appetite lately... I was really happy with today but I don't know if it's good or not.

My calorie goal is 1200
My food was 938
My exercise was -528
Remaining calories 790
And net 410

Please help... :/:(

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Your target is probably a lot lower than it should be, judging by your profile picture. It would help if you gave your stats (height, weight, age, etc)

And, yes, a net of 410 is entirely too low. Regardless of your current weight, you need to eat enough to fuel your body. From the looks of your picture, you're probably already within a healthy weight range or pretty damn close, so you should change your MFP goals so you're losing 1/2 lb per week. Additionally, you should eat back a percentage of your exercise calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read this.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. You should be NETTING 1200 at least.

Read the sexy pants link and this one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

Change your goals. You have only 21 lbs to lose

If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    MFP already factors in the fact that you're trying to lose weight and sets you at a deficit. You could lose weight just by eating at said deficit. Any calories you burn other than the deficit are fair game to eat more. You will still lose.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Organs need calories to keep us alive. The body needs adequate fuel to do what we ask of it. Hunger is not always a great sign of when to eat because it's controlled by hormones. If you aren't eating properly your hormones will be off...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think it looks fine. I see NO reason why you should eat back the calories you worked so hard to burn off. Also if you are not hungry then you don't need to eat. If you get hungry then eat

Hunger is probably the worst indicator that someone is getting enough to eat. The hormones that control our hunger signals can be affected by too many things, including prolonged undereating or exercise. You have to look at the bigger picture and take into account things like energy levels, mood, concentration, as well as physical cues like healthy skin and nails.

A day here and there below your calorie levels isn't a problem, but if you're having a hard time eating enough then consider adding some calorie dense foods into your day. Things like nuts, nut butter, avocado, full fat dairy, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, ice cream, protein shakes & smoothies, etc. can add a lot of calories without adding a lot of food to your dat.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    cloemillerpicton1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys... Exactly what I needed!
    I currently weight 69kg/152lbs
    My height is 5ft 7in
    I am 18
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You need way more calories than 400. At that level your body is going to go into starvation mode and resist losing weight. You're actually going to lose less weight than you would if you were near your target deficit. Try your best to end up with your 1200 calorie goal each day. Have a candy bar or something really high calorie if you really aren't hungry and need to make up the calories.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys... Exactly what I needed!
    I currently weight 69kg/152lbs
    My height is 5ft 7in
    I am 18

You should probably raise your calories to lose about a half pound a week. And I agree with adding in more high calorie foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is your workout routine? And how active are you outside of exercise? If it makes you feel better the average woman I know eat 1700 to 2100 calories a day. Usually on the higher end when as young as you.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    Options
    I just feel terrible... I did a great workout today and then had some cheese and crackers to make it up to what it is now. I HATE eating high calorie foods after. Workout!! Plus, it's 22:18 at night where I am... I just feel so low
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm waffling between 156-157, but I'm your height (and 5 years older) and eat around 1700-1800 a day. Did you set your goal to 2lbs/week? That might be your fist issue. Too aggressive of a goal for the amount of weight you are trying to lose. .5lbs/week would probably be better and more safe/sustainable.

tl;dr: EAT MOAR! Oh and make sure you weigh/measure everything that goes into your mouth.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    Options
    Well I walk a lot, and I live up a hill and it's a night mare to climb! Haha.
    I usually do bikes and cross trainer when I go to the gym and that burns between 200 and 300 calories, depending how I feel.
    I do upper body too, but that's not a concern for me.
    Lots of ab work too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just feel terrible... I did a great workout today and then had some cheese and crackers to make it up to what it is now. I HATE eating high calorie foods after. Workout!! Plus, it's 22:18 at night where I am... I just feel so low

Eating late at night won't hurt your progress. Eating high calorie foods won't hurt your progress. As long as you're meeting your calorie and nutritional goals, it doesn't make much difference how you space those calories out. The cheese and crackers sounds like a good thing to me!
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Not all high calorie foods are bad! Actually, I go by the philosophy that no foods are bad. I eat anything I want within my calorie restrictions and have no problems losing weight.

However, if you like to eat healthier, I would suggest nuts or peanut butter to fill some calories. I don't think cheese is bad either, it's not super nutritious, but it's not empty calories by any means.

And don't worry about tonight. Tomorrow is a new day. Try eating higher calorie foods throughout the day so you don't feel like you have to eat them all at night and just let today go. One day isn't going to hurt you.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    Options
    Yeah, I did set it to lose 2lbs per week
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Eating late at night won't hurt your progress. Eating high calorie foods won't hurt your progress. As long as you're meeting your calorie and nutritional goals, it doesn't make much difference how you space those calories out. The cheese and crackers sounds like a good thing to me!

^^This
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are a lovely young woman. :)

I am also 5'7 and 46 years old. I eat 1600-1800 calories per day and I also work out 5 days a week, doing both cardio and weight lifting. I am losing 1 lb. per week doing that.

Given your young age, your metabolism is probably faster than a 46 year old woman. So I would imagine you should be eating AT LEAST what I am eating and you will still be able to lose weight.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    Yeah, I did set it to lose 2lbs per week

You should probably set your goals to a half pound a week.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    Options
    The last thing I want is for my body to go into starvation mode... I just see so many Instagram profiles of beautifully skinny girls and want it so bad :(