"Scooped out bagel"

Options
What the.
And why.
This popped up when I searched for In and Out. "Scooped-out bagel." So. . . how can you even regulate that? A store-inabag bagel? A gigantor New York bagel? A bagel from Noah's??

Who is scooping out their bagels and why are they doing this?!?! A bagel isn't a pumpkin. Don't scoop it out, eat the damn thing. Or don't.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've seen that... but I guess some people scoop out their sandwich bread too.
  • ShyPar
    ShyPar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People actually do this? That's the strangest thing I've heard today.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes looking through the MFP database makes me question my faith in humanity.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I had to Google it. All of my why.
  • Jackay214
    Options
    Maybe some people just like the outside, all toasty.

I have scooped out the inside of an italian roll if I didnt want a "bready" sandwich.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Only if you're making room for the cream cheese.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I confess to scooping out my English Muffins, but only before I stuff them with tuna, corn and cheese or tuna mornay and grill them. they make a little bready crunchy serving dish for my filling goodness and if I don't scoop, my filling dribbles off the side.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Is it so that you can fill it back up with peanut butter? Cos, I'm all over that!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I scoop out bread when I make paninis.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There is a mexican bread named "bolillo". It is customary to scoop it out and stuff it with beans and cheese. In the case of a bagel more room for salmon and cream cheese sounds like a genius.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of doing this to a bagel, but I know it's a thing at Subway. Supposedly it's to cut out some of the bread calories.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Those poor, innocent bagels.
  • joyrachael
    joyrachael Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They scoop out bagels a lot where I live. Also when I lived in Philadelphia they scooped out hoagie (sub sandwich) rolls. It was pretty common.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of doing this to a bagel, but I know it's a thing at Subway. Supposedly it's to cut out some of the bread calories.

Yes, if you ask for 'skinny bread' at Subway, they scoop out the extra bread from the middle.
  • a_frayn
    a_frayn Posts: 7
    Options
    Here in Toronto we have a bagel place called Kiva's who make the most wonderful bagels in the world. They're thick and heavy and can kill a man if dropped on him. Every inch of it is tasty, but the tastiest part is the outside crust. A lot of people are conscious of the fact that it's enough bread for a week, and so they scoop out the inside of the bread. It's a way to consume a bagel, but not too much.

Now I want Kiva's.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    and now I shall start eating at Kiva's....

and WHAT THE H-E- DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS! Who does that. You're only eliminating like what, 10g of carbs? You're still eating the bagel. It's like only eating a muffin top and discarding the rest. Why would you even. just stop.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm from NY and I've seen that done. You can pull out the dough to make room for cream cheese, tuna salad or what ever you're putting in it. It does cut out the bread calories but it also makes it easier to eat so you're not straining your jaw open to get the full bagel in your mouth.
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    Is it so that you can fill it back up with peanut butter? Cos, I'm all over that!

I was wondering if it was so we could fill it with cream cheese. But peanut butter sounds pretty tasty too!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    A lot of bagel shops here in NYC will scoop out the bagels, but that's only so there's more room for delicious fillings :happy:

Any other reason for scooping out a bagel is invalid and unacceptable :grumble:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    and now I shall start eating at Kiva's....

and WHAT THE H-E- DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS! Who does that. You're only eliminating like what, 10g of carbs? You're still eating the bagel. It's like only eating a muffin top and discarding the rest. Why would you even. just stop.

i eat the muffin top and discard the rest b/c the crunchy top is the only good part. the crumbly inside is just a stuck to the paper mess and not worth my time.