What do you do with discarded egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can actually freeze them. I used to work for a chef that had us beat them then pour into ice cube trays and freeze them. We would then use them as needed in the ice creams, cheesecake, creme brulee, fresh pastas, crepes, mayonnaise and dressings,. there are lots of uses if you like to cook and have people you can feed all the fattening stuff you can make with them.
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make meringue cookies or angel food cake?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Make meringue cookies or angel food cake?

Um, I think they require egg whites, not the yolks.

But I am happy to find I can freeze them, I make all those things listed.
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    O my goodness! I would never throw out an egg yolk.That;s just sad. :(
    It's the very best part and so nutritious.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Don't throw them out! That is sad, and an egg really isn't that many calories to begin with.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Crème brûlée
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my dog
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I either cook them and give them to my dog or toss them.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    People please do not feed your dogs your left overs! It just as bad for them as it is for you! That is why they make DOG food... It has everything they need in it! Working as a vet tech for 8 years I have seen dogs and cats come in with health problems that could be avoided if the loving owners would just stick to dog food! I know you feel like you are treating them and you love them but you can love them into an early grave as well! ok rant over!!

you mean the dog food made from corn?

yeah that makes sense.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Eat them ?

you win.

No idea why people think egg yolks are bad for you. In fact, you get much fewer nutrients out of the egg white alone than you do if you ingest the white and yolk together. So all that protein you THINK you're getting out of the whites isn't actually getting absorbed. Eat your yolks.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hollandaise!

Eggs benedict!!!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of water and use them as a wash on homemade bread. It gives the crust a nice shiny finish.

^ this too.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Dang it...

Now I want eggs.
  • Neeka_
    Neeka_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For a non-eating use: I use them to make a homemade conditioner for my hair. Mix 1-2 yolks with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of raw honey. Add more for longer/thicker hair. Add to dry hair, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Shampoo 1-2 times.
    It's great for the hair!

I was just discussing the waste of tossing them yesterday, I love your idea, thanks!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Eat them ?

you win.

No idea why people think egg yolks are bad for you. In fact, you get much fewer nutrients out of the egg white alone than you do if you ingest the white and yolk together. So all that protein you THINK you're getting out of the whites isn't actually getting absorbed. Eat your yolks.

Egg yolks aren't bad for you. They're delicious and nutritious but when you're just trying to squeeze in some more protein into your scrambled eggs while keeping the fat and calories lower, it helps to pull out a yolk or two. I had five scrambled eggs this morning, pulled out two yolks pre-cooking and gave them to my dog. I had no problem with the absorption since they were eaten in conjunction with the other three whole eggs. A lot of people do exactly this for the same reasons.

No waste and my macros were perfect as a result (once combined with the rest of my foods for the day).

Not even the eggshells were wasted since those get fed back to the chickens that provided them in the first place. I was happy, my chickens were happy and my dog was happy. So it's a win, win, win situation.

So I'll eat my yolks when I want to.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't throw em away. I eat em. Sometimes with chicken too. I get a sick little pleasure knowing my breakfast basically massacred a whole family of chickens.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have chickens so I feed it to them. When they break the eggs by accident they will eat them anyway. So you can either toss them, freeze them, cook them for another animal or toss them out raw like I do for my hens. But I am like the others & use 1 whole egg with 2 to 3 egg whites for taste, texture, color and a little added fat that is totally fine nutritionally speaking :flowerforyou:
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    egg yolks are healthier than alot of people realize,

" there are several nutrients specific to the egg yolk that help promote overall health. Egg yolks are one of the richest dietary sources of the B-complex vitamin choline, which is associated with better neurological function and reduced inflammation. There's also evidence that dietary choline helps with fetal brain development when pregnant women eat it. Another side benefit of a diet rich in choline is, well, happiness. "

"Choline breaks down into bethane, which is used during the methylation cycle, which in turn helps produce 'happiness' hormones like serotonin, dopamine, norephinephrine, explains Ramsey.

Egg yolks also contain two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against vision loss."

No this doesnt mean to eat tons of the but up to 5 whole eggs a week is fine.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

No this doesn't mean to eat tons of the but up to 5 whole eggs a day is fine.

fixed
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't discard them. In fact, I don't separate them at all unless I'm making something that has meringue. Eggs are super healthy in their complete form. Egg yolks are not what got you here.

No food is evil.

Portion Control is key.

:smile: