What if I don't really care?

Options
Hey all!
So I'm about 15 lbs overweight. I've lost a few pounds here and there and then gained them right back. Here's the thing, I'm starting to wonder, what if, deep down, I don't really care that i'm not my "ideal" weight? I mean sure I'm always like "oh I'd love to be a size 2 and look perfect in bikinis, yada yada" and i'll eat well and exercise for a couple days, but then i'm right back to the unhealthy habits. Its like I know what I should be doing but when the junk food is in front of me I just dig in. Does anyone else struggle with this? what have you done to stay motivated? Or has anyone come to the realization that they're happy just the way they are?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you don't care, it ain't happening.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why are you here, then? :huh:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you don't care, then what does it matter?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    IF someone was really happy with the way they are, they wouldn't bother with weight loss or change their eating. If someone is attempting it, then somewhere in them, there's a desire to change in some manner.
    The problem that most people have is they have been misinformed about "good" and "bad" food, "healthy" and "unhealthy" food.
    Food basically is just fuel for energy and rebuilding. Some food is calorie dense, while others aren't. Some food is nutrient dense and some aren't.
    The struggle with everyone who's overweight is learning how to balance the foods they like to eat that are high calorie and low nutrient with ones that are lower in calories and higher in nutrients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way. It took me changing jobs and meeting new faces to finally motivate me. Could it be that you are in a rut without a good support system (friends)?
  • coffeefreak88
    coffeefreak88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way. It took me changing jobs and meeting new faces to finally motivate me. Could it be that you are in a rut without a good support system (friends)?

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I know this website works! I lost 12lbs doing MFP before but I was in college and doing it with all my roommates. Now i'm married and my husband couldn't gain weight if he tried :)
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    So I'm about 15 lbs overweight. I've lost a few pounds here and there and then gained them right back. Here's the thing, I'm starting to wonder, what if, deep down, I don't really care that i'm not my "ideal" weight? I mean sure I'm always like "oh I'd love to be a size 2 and look perfect in bikinis, yada yada" and i'll eat well and exercise for a couple days, but then i'm right back to the unhealthy habits. Its like I know what I should be doing but when the junk food is in front of me I just dig in. Does anyone else struggle with this? what have you done to stay motivated? Or has anyone come to the realization that they're happy just the way they are?

I came to the realization that I was over the yo-yo and just made it happen. The weight loss, I mean.
    Sooner or later you say 'enough is enough!'... I still have days (or weeks) where it's tough, but overall it's much more natural for me to do what I do now. :)
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Why are you here, then? :huh:

She's trying to figure it out. :tongue: Sometimes getting it out and rereading it makes it easier to do that. That's what this forum is for, support.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat for a while. I wanted to lose some weight, but I didn't want to really change anything or put in the work on any sort of consistent basis. I'd lose a couple pounds, gain a few back, etc. Then one fateful day, not only did I want to lose the weight, I was READY to make changes and put in the work. That willingness is what got me going. What keeps me going is the progress I've made mentally & physically as well as the knowledge that I can do anything as long as I'm willing to work for it.

Good luck to you!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I was most of my adult life between 46 and just under 50 kilos (101-110 pounds ). Both were a little bit on the high normal range for my height. I did not care, because I was in excellent shape. I still was in excellent shape in my 40's and early 50's, because of my job and because I was a very serious weight lifter. Then came menopause, health problems, more serious health problems, cancer and after cancer recovery I was all of a sudden 135 pounds, because among other things I had to stop serious exercise.. I did not care, because I was alive !
    My health problems turned chronic and I took ( and still take ) mega doses of cortisone. I gained more weight, I did not care, because after all, things could be worse. For emotional reasons I started self pity eating and still gained more weight......and all of a sudden I did care, because 80 extra pounds made a difference and made life difficult for my joints, heart, lungs.......and now I have to make a real effort each and every day to lose weight. I have lost 50 pounds in the last year and have to lose another 50 pounds to even get to those 135 when I really did not care.
    I am convinced that if I had cared enough to lose those first 10-20 pounds I would not be where I am today as far as my battle with weight is concerned. But that is just me.....your mileage probably varies.
    Good Luck !
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For one year, I challenge you to get in the best shape of your life. Exercise, get a lower BF%, stop any vices (like binge drinking), and surround yourself with like minded people.

Dollars to donuts, you will NEVER go back to what you are now. It's THAT good being above average...and being the best you can be.

Try it, it may change your entire life
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a healthy bmi, I say good for you. It's really Madison Avenue that says you should be a size 2 and look a certain way. All that matters is that you are healthy and happy with yourself. You don't need to live up to anyone's preconceived notion of who you should be on any level. Be your own person and have no regrets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What about if I dont care that you really dont care?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Or has anyone come to the realization that they're happy just the way they are?

Yes, I have.

I think you should look at the benefits v costs of getting your dream body and see if it is worth it for you. It might be. It might not.

For myself, I am happy with what I have now which means I am not as lean as I was in my 20s (which in hindsight was a hugely overrated experience anyway) but neither do I have to put in the amount of time and effort I used to devote towards this goal which frees it up for more important things in my life.

Do what makes you happy. Everything else is just noise.
  • coffeefreak88
    coffeefreak88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For one year, I challenge you to get in the best shape of your life. Exercise, get a lower BF%, stop any vices (like binge drinking), and surround yourself with like minded people.

Dollars to donuts, you will NEVER go back to what you are now. It's THAT good being above average...and being the best you can be.

Try it, it may change your entire life

I really like this :) it was very inspiring. thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

for me, there are 2 reasons to lose weight.

1) if your weight is causing you medical problems... being 15lb over weight isnt really going to do you any harm, so you're good there.
    2) if you stand in front of a full lenght mirror in your underwear and you're happy, then you're good to go... why bother losing weight? there are so few people who are truely happy with their body, enjoy beign one of the few!

that being said, you should still eat a bit of veg and do some exercise to be healthy!
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You don't care and you're happy where you are.

OR

You can't be bothered and don't feel like making the effort anymore.

I don't mean to sound harsh, OP. In my case every time I told myself I was happy with my weight I was saying I don't want to do this anymore, I don't feel like it. A few weeks later I'll catch somebody at my old size or the size I want to be and it will make me realise, no I don't WANT this body. I'm settling for this body. I want THAT body.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    If you didn't care you wouldn't be going on about it. There is no mythical ideal weight. Weightloss should and is about an overall attitude about your personal health and well being. you are the only one who can do something about it if you wish but ask yourself why did you write this post?
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I don't think a size 2 is healthy or attractive!!