Could use some help "getting with it."

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water. I don't even bother to track it anymore, because I'm drinking constantly. I refill my 32 oz bottle about five times a day, plus I drink about 64 oz at work. I actually like it plain.

Oh okay! Good to know!
  • themusicdude
    themusicdude Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Getting a late start this morning, but I'm still getting ready to hit the gym! Just blended up a smoothie and as soon as the ipod finishes charging it's a go!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I know you told your history of how you ended up in this place physically, but all too often there is an emotional component. Many people often aren't even aware of it. Sometimes we hide behind our weight, and we sabotage our own efforts because subconsciously we are afraid to lose that wall of defense. If you suspect this may apply to you, you may consider counseling along with this to help you get healthy mentally as well. I wish you all the best.
  • themusicdude
    Options
    Had a great workout today... did three miles on the treadmill. It was really tempting to quit at the two mile mark, but it just said to myself, "Eh, it's only 20 more minutes. Just try it."
  • lonnieh2
    lonnieh2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This. New found gusto. keep doing that and your body will reward you. :)
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Be careful about noob enthusiasm ending up hobbling you. (I've had it happen a few times, and I have the paranoia. And, no offense to your sense 'o manhood, but you sound somewhat more delicate physically than I am.)

The thing about "hitting it hard" is that if you "hit it" too hard, you could end up putting yourself completely out of the count for a while, and that suuuuuuuucks.

Walking sounds great. Protect your joints--you're asking a lot of them.

• redtreediary
    Options
    Also, "it's only 20 minutes" is totally my secret fitness weapon. ;)
  • redtreediary
    Options
    Oh! And, looking at your diary, don't freak out about yesterday's meatloaf.

Yesterday, you went 384 over, but MONDAY, you went 251 *under.*

Try to think of it as a week-long block, instead of OMG, EVERY DAY HAS DEADLINE! So, over the course of a week, you have a little over or a little under, but your average still at or (a LITTLE) under your goal.

I don't know if you're using mfp on the phone or a PC, but the phone app I use has an option to look at your *whole week* on a graph.
  • Pmsylvester
    Pmsylvester Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good luck. It can be really hard to undertake such a major transformation. I hope all the support you find here is helpful. Keep up the good work!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Most people have given you really good advice. I will add not to trust anyone on myfitnesspal who uses the words "fix" (as in "90 Day Fix") diet book (as in "The [name here] Diet book") detox, jumpstart, blah blah. You don't have to spend any money to get where you want to be (apart from maybe a gym membership, which you sound like you're on top of.

Keep in mind that with MyFitnessPal, every day is a clean slate. Screw up and go over by 1,000 calories? Log it honestly and let it go. Holding onto guilt doesn't help un-eat the food. It just creates a shame cycle. New day, new calories. This isn't about being perfect.

Additionally, I've recently gotten into using "Groups" on MyFitnessPal, specifically Challenge Groups. They are often pick-your-own goal. I find it very motivating when it's gross outside and I just want to be a bump on the log.

Keep up the good work!
  • themusicdude
    Options
    I looked it up after you mentioned it and it's there in my iPad. That made me feel a lot better to see how I'd been eating over the last seven days.
  • themusicdude
    Options
    So I had a biscuit with lunch today and was shocked at how I felt afterward. Sleepy and kinda bloaty. I kicked *kitten* at the gym, so I don't feel bad about it psychologically, but physically it's not a great feel.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm in just about exactly the same boat as you. Same height and weight, same amount to lose, same history with it.

I'll add you.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's a documented fact that once the body realizes it's being subjected to a diet, it will go into trauma mode and send signals to the brain that it is very hungry. And it will make food taste really really good. All to entice the dieter to EAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

You've got to be prepared to FIGHT. Dont give in to the Hungries. Count your calories and make this about numbers, not about feelings. If your tummy says you feel hungry, you check your calories and see that you ate the required cals for the day, so you can tell your stomach that it's LYING, or that you just dont give a darn because you fed it enough for the day.

Good luck!! You can do this!!
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also found myself really challenged when I stopped drinking soda, so I made the transition to caffeinated water (there is such a thing!!) from soda, and then weaned myself off of the caffeinated water. It made it much easier. I had been a heavy diet coke drinker, and I was amazed at how much more mentally clear and alert I was once I stopped taking in all of that aspartame. I now recognize all of that soda I had been drinking was kind of a toxin for me, but I was not able to recognize it at the time.

When I started exercising regularly, I started by walking, on a treadmill, at about 2.5 miles per hour, for 30 minutes per day. It was comfortable for me, I must admit I did not sweat very much, but it got me started on the habit. About two weeks into it I felt inspired to increase my speed, and it went on from there. Even when I was "just" walking on the treadmill, I began to notice feeling much more energized, my appetite decreased a bit, and I started to get much more in touch with my body overall. But starting slow and easy, and developing a liking for the habit of exercise, was essential for me, rather than starting hard and fast and turning exercise into something I would dread every day.

Good luck, I bet you are going to do great.
  • Willdta
    Willdta Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey man, it's great to see you making a change. I would love to help with anything needed whether it be nutrition or exercise-wise. Feel free to add me. You can see my diary if you friend me for food ideas.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're getting some fantastic advice. The only thing I would add is on top of being honest with your food and exercise diary - be kind to yourself. You are GOING to have days where you just feel like you can't/don't want to continue. Or days where you backslide a little. Remember that it's ONLY a failure if you use it as an excuse to quit. You're doing great. Keep it up. :)
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I once heard some excellent advice, that I keep with me as I try to get more healthy: "Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym."

Of course, being active = more burn = more weightloss, but it really helps me to remember two things.

1) It doesn't matter how much--or little--I work out. I have to eat right for it to work.
    2) Exercising won't necessarily make you -lose- weight. It might make you lose far and gain muscle, so your weight could stay the same or even go up, but that doesn't mean you aren't seeing an important change!

It looks like you're getting some fantastic advice, so I'll leave that there and hope it also helps.

In the meantime, listen to everyone: Believe in yourself. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step--And you've taken that one step and more! Keep going. And always remember: Love yourself. Treat yourself right.
  • themusicdude
    Options
    Fell off a bit this weekend. Had a surprise gig schedule pop up and ended up eating fast food three times. I made a conscious effort to eat less of it than I normally would, but looking at those values plugged into the calorie tracker still hurt.

Yesterday I managed toget to the gym for about 20 minutes; I was tired and didn't want to even do that, but I told myself that 20 minutes wasn't optional and if I didn't want to do any more after that, fine. At least do SOMETHING.

Today I hit the weights pretty hard. My allergies are acting up so cardio was a little wheezy, but I did a mile. I wish I could have done more, but I'm quite pleased with my lifting progress so far.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up if you can't exercise. Stick to your calorie deficit and you will lose weight. It's easy to be hung-ho at the beginning and lose steam and quit. Go slow. I would also recommend not trying to change too many things at once or you will be miserable. Make smarter choices when eating out, have a cookie if your calories allowed. Try not the deprive yourself or you will fail.

I'm rooting for you! Please don't give up! At your weight you are high risk for so many obesity related issues and I don't want that for anyone. I'm a nurse and all too often see the effects of obesity on our aging population. Good luck!