Why is oatmeal

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I only eat Scottish oatmeal these days (Bob's Red Mill), cooked in milk. The Quaker Oats stuff is so bland.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal if it has tons of cream and sweetener added. Otherwise, blech. I only cook steel cut now and it's a bit better tasting but it takes a long time so I have to cook up a big batch and reheat it through the week.

Also, what is this thing about it keeping you full??!! The toppings alone would keep me more full than if I eat them with oatmeal. If anything, I feel that oatmeal makes everything pass through my system faster. I'm usually hungry 2 hours after eating it, and I need it to last me more like 3-4 hours.

Think protein & fat add ins. Make your oats with milk for protein. Stir in nuts (or nut butter) for healthy fats. The oats have fiber, so adding raisins or dried cherries is not terribly filling for me.
  • jss150
    jss150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The key is to buy decent oatmeal - not the Quaker instant crap. Buy a good Irish Steel Cut oatmeal and don't overcook. Add some strawberries and just a little sugar in the raw or Stevia and its a great breakfast that lasts for hours.

Look, it will never be confused with bacon but it works!
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make my porridge with water - pop it in the microwave for 4 mins (until it's risen so much it's nearly spilling over the bowl), then mix in some peanut butter and blueberries - YUMMMMEEHHHHHHH!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the taste, but the texture is terrible to me. I literally have to force myself to eat it and try not to gag.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i mostly use the steel cut coarse ground oatmeal.... which is more like rice... (mccann's) i love it. i love it as a hot breakfast with cinnamon and nutmeg and brown sugar, but its also good as a thickener in potato and leek soup or barley soup.... in scotland they put oatmeal in everything. i think the tastiest one was oats mixed with vanilla ice cream. i think the vegetarian haggis I had at a burns night party was oats mixed with carrots and turnips...
    my mother does not care for oats as such but she loves oatmeal cookies.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with some foods I make the distinction between food for taste and food for fuel. Oatmeal being one of those foods that I eat purely because I know it will keep me energised and full for X amount of time. A spoonful of peanut butter mixed in does help though. =P
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you boiling it? It's a mushy mess that way. I like mine baked, like a granola bar. crunchy > mushy

oh yeah..... granola!!!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Very filling and economical as well. I eat it plain with boiled water and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 cup of diced apple or banana with a teaspoon of cinnamon. I also use it in my breakfast smoothie:

1/4 cup rolled oats
    1 medium banana
    1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
    1 cup light vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup ice.

It is very satisfying and curbs hunger for hours. So, don't give up on oatmeal yet. Just keep experimenting.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Steel-cut only... rolled oats are only for granola and cookies and instant oats are only for the trash can :smile:

The trick is to toast the oats first (in a skillet or under the broiler - but don't overdo it) cook 4:1 water to oats on medium low until the desired consistency is reached, then stir in a pinch of salt. Add toppings to your hearts content - some of my favorites include
    - the classic brown sugar and cinnamon
    - peanut butter
    - vanilla almond milk
    - dried fruit
    - options are endless
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal flavor is wonderful (in cookies and breads), but the texture makes me yak. I can't stand how it feels like it's supposed to be crunchy, but is mushy and soggy, instead.

:sick:
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Love the steel cut oats, cook it in water and served with a small amount of cranberries and nuts with some cinnamon.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eat it in protein pancakes, Like I had for lunch today!

1 C dry oatmeal
    1 C egg whites
    1 C cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    dash of vanilla extract
    pinch of salt

blend until batter-like, pour into hot oiled pan. Makes 6 HUGE pancakes.

Cal: 748
    Carbs: 68g
    Fat: 11g
    Protein: 88g

I ate mine with sugar free jam. Four hours later, I'm still stuffed!
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! I couldn't even look at oatmeal before, now it is almost a daily breakfast. TBS of pb with a little sugar makes it taste like a peanut butter cookie. Sooo yummy :bigsmile:
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I eat it every morning before heading off to morning classes.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think people make it wrong. I can't stand it when it is that think, mushy consistency - like a ball of paste in your mouth - YUCK! I like the instant stuff that you can pour directly into hot water, stir, and eat. I prefer it a little soupy and like it a little better when it is a little under-cooked. Then the texture is more like "hot cereal" to me rather than mush. I get the Quaker Instant oatmeal in the lower sugar variety. Pop a bowl with 1/2 cup of water into the microwave for a minute and then pour the oatmeal packet in the bowl. It's not how they tell you to do it on the package, but it tastes better my way. :)
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I love oats in any form. Oatmeal too.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong.

I make overnight protein oatmeal all the time and it's amazing.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! I couldn't even look at oatmeal before, now it is almost a daily breakfast. TBS of pb with a little sugar makes it taste like a peanut butter cookie. Sooo yummy :bigsmile:

This is exactly how my boyfriend eats it! I prefer mine with vanilla protein powder, mixed berries, and shredded coconut. I looooove oats.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    1. Never EVER use instant. Traditional oats only
    false. instant oatmeal is all i ever use, and i love it.