WHAT does the TDEE even include?

Options

Replies

• IdcShrimp
    IdcShrimp Posts: 71
    Options
    ok, so are you saying that my 58 calories in today's 'exercise' really is the amount i burn all day aside from my BMR? I'm asking if my real TDEE is thus 58+1118.

Ur BMR is literally what is needed to keep u alive if u laid in bed all day. I'm not expert but from what I understand with tdee is if u put sedentary would take into consideration stuff like working a desk job, walking around a little, making food, walking to the loo etc, just everyday stuff. There are other levels of tdee to chose from which take into consideration other types of work such as construction which obv burns more cals than a desk job and whether u work out and the amount per week etc.

And yes, it sucks being short, I would have thought with maintenance I could eat a bit more but apparently not...

yeah i understand how you feel. you mentioned the working a desk job and whatnot...what I'm asking is are those 58 calories i am obsessing over part of that desk job? is that what they mean?

Yes, I would think those 58cals are probably part of ur tdee. Like I said I'm no expert but personally I wouldn't count them as extra.

so just PART of my TDEE or the whole extra thing?
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ok, so are you saying that my 58 calories in today's 'exercise' really is the amount i burn all day aside from my BMR? I'm asking if my real TDEE is thus 58+1118.

Ur BMR is literally what is needed to keep u alive if u laid in bed all day. I'm not expert but from what I understand with tdee is if u put sedentary would take into consideration stuff like working a desk job, walking around a little, making food, walking to the loo etc, just everyday stuff. There are other levels of tdee to chose from which take into consideration other types of work such as construction which obv burns more cals than a desk job and whether u work out and the amount per week etc.

And yes, it sucks being short, I would have thought with maintenance I could eat a bit more but apparently not...

yeah i understand how you feel. you mentioned the working a desk job and whatnot...what I'm asking is are those 58 calories i am obsessing over part of that desk job? is that what they mean?

Yes, I would think those 58cals are probably part of ur tdee. Like I said I'm no expert but personally I wouldn't count them as extra.

so just PART of my TDEE or the whole extra thing?

I don't know, soz but I give up and don't want to give u wrong info. I would think it is part of ur tdee as it is a pedometer I think it would only track steps. U would burn small cals doing things like laughing, making food etc. but they all add up to create ur tdee. I'm pretty sure those 58 cals are part of the bigger picture. Sorry I can't be more accurate and confident with my answers.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is 1337.
    It doesn't matter if it's a+b+c or x+y+z
    Forget where those 58 cals fit as it just plain doesn't matter and is just adding to your anxiety.

Your TDEE is 1337 because that is what you have been eating to maintain your weight. It really is that simple.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    people get way to hung up on trying to work out there TDEE and BMr, the fact is that it will fluctuate each day and your never going to be able to measure it accurately tre are just to many variables.

Set a calorie goal and eat that amount of calories for 2 weeks. If after two weeks you have gained weight you are eating above your TDEE if you have lost weight you are eating below it. if you loose more then a pound then increase what you are eating, if you gain weight then decrease what you are eating . Then keep repeatingthis cycle

hey...good advice but I want your opinion, too...I've eaten like this for, i dunno, 4 months now and gained 1-2 pounds. would you call that maintaining? what if i eat like this and keep gaining? don't want that.

If you have gained 2 lbs of fat over the last 4 months, that means you have gained (on average) 2/16 = 0.125 lb a week.

It takes ~ 3500 calories to add a pound of fat.

0.125 lbs of fat is then = 0.125 * 3500 = 438 calories per week (or about 63 per day) above however many calories you need to maintain your weight.

So, if you have been logging and know that you have averaged 1377 per day, your true current maintenance level (or your TDEE, if you prefer) is 1377 - 63 = 1314 calories per day.

NOTE: I have assumed, for this, that the 2 lb gain is 100 % fat. If any of it is water, then obviously your actual fat gain is less. If its only 1 lb over this time, then you have only been 30-ish calories per day high. 0.5 lb fat, and you are only up by 15 cals per day!

NOTE 2: these numbers only works if you know you have actually averaged 1377 calories per day.

NOTE 3: 1-2 lb per 4 months is pretty damn close to maintaining, even if it is all fat! Congratulations!

Bottom line here seems to be that if you truly gained 1-2 lb of fat over 4 months you are very slightly over your TDEE (maintenance calorie level). But small overages can add up over time. To halt/reverse the gain, you need to eat very slightly less per day, or add a small amount of EXTRA exercise per day. If you move a bit more than you were doing these past 4 months, you will raise your TDEE by that amount, meaning you could eat the same and lose that tiny gain.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, so if you exercise/move more, you expend more energy, and your TDEE increases.

If you are maintaining your weight, you are at your TDEE, by definition. All any calculator will do is give you an estimate: real world results trump calculators.

Eat below TDEE you lose weight; eat above, you gain weight.
  • IdcShrimp
    Options
    thanks for ur help ^

i'm still confused -_- not ur fault, though, anyone know the answer?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I just started using Pacer, a pedometer app, and today it told me I took 3375 steps, and burned 58 cals. Now, do those 58 cals count as exercise calories and would I add them to my TDEE, or does the TDEE already take those into account?

Ooops - meant to address this bit too.

If those steps are part of your normal daily activity (i.e. if those are the normal steps you take getting to and from work etc) then this is already part of your current TDEE.

If these are 3375 steps you added to your normal routine, then these steps will become part of your new TDEE.

Note: TDEE will not be the same everyday. If you normally walk 5 miles uphill both ways to the market every Saturday, your TDEE will be higher than on Sunday when you laze around in your PJ's reading the funnies. Look long term though, and average it out over a week or so.
  • IdcShrimp
    Options
    people get way to hung up on trying to work out there TDEE and BMr, the fact is that it will fluctuate each day and your never going to be able to measure it accurately tre are just to many variables.

Set a calorie goal and eat that amount of calories for 2 weeks. If after two weeks you have gained weight you are eating above your TDEE if you have lost weight you are eating below it. if you loose more then a pound then increase what you are eating, if you gain weight then decrease what you are eating . Then keep repeatingthis cycle

hey...good advice but I want your opinion, too...I've eaten like this for, i dunno, 4 months now and gained 1-2 pounds. would you call that maintaining? what if i eat like this and keep gaining? don't want that.

If you have gained 2 lbs of fat over the last 4 months, that means you have gained (on average) 2/16 = 0.125 lb a week.

It takes ~ 3500 calories to add a pound of fat.

0.125 lbs of fat is then = 0.125 * 3500 = 438 calories per week (or about 63 per day) above however many calories you need to maintain your weight.

So, if you have been logging and know that you have averaged 1377 per day, your true current maintenance level (or your TDEE, if you prefer) is 1377 - 63 = 1314 calories per day.

NOTE: I have assumed, for this, that the 2 lb gain is 100 % fat. If any of it is water, then obviously your actual fat gain is less. If its only 1 lb over this time, then you have only been 30-ish calories per day high. 0.5 lb fat, and you are only up by 15 cals per day!

NOTE 2: these numbers only works if you know you have actually averaged 1377 calories per day.

NOTE 3: 1-2 lb per 4 months is pretty damn close to maintaining, even if it is all fat! Congratulations!

Bottom line here seems to be that if you truly gained 1-2 lb of fat over 4 months you are very slightly over your TDEE (maintenance calorie level). But small overages can add up over time. To halt/reverse the gain, you need to eat very slightly less per day, or add a small amount of EXTRA exercise per day. If you move a bit more than you were doing these past 4 months, you will raise your TDEE by that amount, meaning you could eat the same and lose that tiny gain.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, so if you exercise/move more, you expend more energy, and your TDEE increases.

If you are maintaining your weight, you are at your TDEE, by definition. All any calculator will do is give you an estimate: real world results trump calculators.

Eat below TDEE you lose weight; eat above, you gain weight.

I said 1337, not 1377, to be specific, but otherwise, i still have a question to clarify (also thanks for the answer!)...if I am 2 pounds heavier now, in theory, isn't my BMR even higher? thus those 63 cals wouldn't still be 'extra' they would be normal, right?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You've gotten ample feedback already, why are you continuing to ask?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1274216-how-the-hell-does-the-tdee-count

you had me at ample......:)
  • IdcShrimp
    Options
    I just started using Pacer, a pedometer app, and today it told me I took 3375 steps, and burned 58 cals. Now, do those 58 cals count as exercise calories and would I add them to my TDEE, or does the TDEE already take those into account?

Ooops - meant to address this bit too.

If those steps are part of your normal daily activity (i.e. if those are the normal steps you take getting to and from work etc) then this is already part of your current TDEE.

If these are 3375 steps you added to your normal routine, then these steps will become part of your new TDEE.

Note: TDEE will not be the same everyday. If you normally walk 5 miles uphill both ways to the market every Saturday, your TDEE will be higher than on Sunday when you laze around in your PJ's reading the funnies. Look long term though, and average it out over a week or so.

yeah, but is the 58 calories ALL that should be added as my TDEE? Or are other things like laughing, talking, fidgeting, etc, all part of my TDEE? If i screamed bloody murder for an hour that same day, wouldn't that be part of my TDEE too?
  • IdcShrimp
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1274216-how-the-hell-does-the-tdee-count

why...are you even on my thread? i'm sitting here completely confused and you're mocking me for it. i should probably report you...
  • mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options
    Your TDEE is 1337.
    It doesn't matter if it's a+b+c or x+y+z
    Forget where those 58 cals fit as it just plain doesn't matter and is just adding to your anxiety.

Your TDEE is 1337 because that is what you have been eating to maintain your weight. It really is that simple.

The above quoted is the answer to your question.

Keep eating 1337 each day. If in another month you've gained another pound, start eating 1300 each day. If in a couple months after that you have lost a few pounds, try eating 1315 each day.

TDEE = calories needed to maintain your weight. Period. With TDEE, you don't need to track calories burned by exercise. It is already taken into account.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    TDEE means TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE.

This is ALL the calories you need for everything you do from sleeping, eating, living, exercising, absolutely everything.

This is typically going to fluctuate a little bit from day to day based on many factors. For example maybe you sit in a chair all day for work or school, but on Saturday you go to a festival and walk and stand all day. Your TDEE would be higher on that Saturday.

If you eat more than TDEE, you gain weight. If you eat less than TDEE, you lose weight. If you eat about the same as TDEE, then you stay the same weight.

MFP is not a TDEE calculator, it doesn't include exercise. It gives you the amount of calories to eat so that if you did no exercise you would lose weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is composed of many things you will NEVER nail down exactly like you want to nail down that 58 calories for walking - which is frankly probably wrong.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is composed of -

BMR - you can't measure that, you could get an RMR test which is higher than BMR, and that frankly changes through out the day - and for you throughout the month as a woman.

NEAT - non-exercise activity of which your walking was probably part of, and fidgeting, making food, brushing teeth, ect. You'll never be able to measure all that.

TEF - calories burned processing food you eat, changes with the macro composition of the food and how much you eat. You'll never be able to measure that.

EAT - exercise calories you purposely set out to do. You could get this measured on treadmill and bike, but it'll change depending on your effort at any 1 time.

And that's why no one can answer your question - because your question cannot be answered the way you think it can or should be answered.

What is known though was pointed out very clearly in the math above.
    If that whole 2 lbs really was fat, then TDEE was as given. If some water (as you've seen that fluctuates) and only 1 lb fat, then that was given.

You can NOT discern the other parts of that like you want to.

Yes, that walking if exercise was part of EAT. If that was totally new walking compared to what you have done the last month, then you burned some extra calories and your TDEE has gone up compared to prior average.

If that was walking part of normal average day, and this is just your first chance to see how much that happens to burn, than that was part of NEAT. A NEAT level you've already had, whether you knew about it or not.

If this was increased movement through the day because the pedometer got you to move more, then again, your NEAT is higher than average from past month, as is your TDEE higher too compared to prior average.

And correct, if you gained 2 lbs then your NEAT and EAT went up ever so slightly for moving an extra 2 lbs around.
    Your BMR went up maybe 5 calories.
    But it will never offset what increased eating would continue to do - cause weight gain.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

why...are you even on my thread? i'm sitting here completely confused and you're mocking me for it. i should probably report you...

Take some breathers - that wasn't even written for you, and hardly mocking.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is composed of many things you will NEVER nail down exactly like you want to nail down that 58 calories for walking - which is frankly probably wrong.

BMR - you can't measure that, you could get an RMR test which is higher than BMR, and that frankly changes through out the day - and for you throughout the month as a woman.

NEAT - non-exercise activity of which your walking was probably part of, and fidgeting, making food, brushing teeth, ect. You'll never be able to measure all that.

TEF - calories burned processing food you eat, changes with the macro composition of the food and how much you eat. You'll never be able to measure that.

EAT - exercise calories you purposely set out to do. You could get this measured on treadmill and bike, but it'll change depending on your effort at any 1 time.

And that's why no one can answer your question - because your question cannot be answered the way you think it can or should be answered.

If that whole 2 lbs really was fat, then TDEE was as given. If some water (as you've seen that fluctuates) and only 1 lb fat, then that was given.

Yes, that walking if exercise was part of EAT. If that was totally new walking compared to what you have done the last month, then you burned some extra calories and your TDEE has gone up compared to prior average.

If that was walking part of normal average day, and this is just your first chance to see how much that happens to burn, than that was part of NEAT. A NEAT level you've already had, whether you knew about it or not.

If this was increased movement through the day because the pedometer got you to move more, then again, your NEAT is higher than average from past month, as is your TDEE higher too compared to prior average.

Read heybales in his entirety; get his spreadsheet; and a thread is a public entity; it isn't your thread....next caller.
  • IdcShrimp
    Options

And correct, if you gained 2 lbs then your NEAT and EAT went up ever so slightly for moving an extra 2 lbs around.
    Your BMR went up maybe 5 calories.
    But it will never offset what increased eating would continue to do - cause weight gain.

Your answer was probably most helpful...from what i can take away from this...

1. I'll never be able to accurately have a set TDEE

2. Apparently at 1337 my TDEE is close enough to NOT equate to long term weight gain (right?)

3. I'm not gonna gain at 1337 because the apparent 63 extra calories a day are burned elsewhere in my TDEE?

4. Those 53 cals are PART of my TDEE as a whole, but not my whole TDEE

Am i getting this?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    The conventional thinking is that a pound of weight is 3,500 calories. You would have to eat 3,500 calories over your TDEE in a week to gain a pound. 3,500 divided by 7 days is 500 calories per day. Half a pound would be 250 a day.

Again, your TDEE isn't going to be exactly the same every day, but if you look at weeks and months of data, you can begin to see trends.
  • IdcShrimp
    Options
    The conventional thinking is that a pound of weight is 3,500 calories. You would have to eat 3,500 calories over your TDEE in a week to gain a pound. 3,500 divided by 7 days is 500 calories per day. Half a pound would be 250 a day.

Again, your TDEE isn't going to be exactly the same every day, but if you look at weeks and months of data, you can begin to see trends.

firstly, you are simply restating things other people have said before. second, that isn't new knowledge to me. third...what are you getting at? i don't understand how this comment helps at all.

I want to know if 1337 is my real TDEE or on most days would it be WAY lower...

look...today I burned only 58 cals walking, i don't even know if it took into account my bmr or what...otherwise i do NOTHING all day. so i think my TDEE must be way lower. thats where the fear is. i don't even feel hungry enough to eat 1337 cals a day. i do so little. i don't want to have gained 2 pounds and KEEP gaining it
  • deksgrl
    Options

firstly, you are simply restating things other people have said before. second, that isn't new knowledge to me. third...what are you getting at? i don't understand how this comment helps at all.

look...today I burned only 58 cals walking, i don't even know if it took into account my bmr or what...otherwise i do NOTHING all day. so i think my TDEE must be way lower. thats where the fear is. i don't even feel hungry enough to eat 1337 cals a day. i do so little. i don't want to have gained 2 pounds and KEEP gaining it

I don't understand where your confusion is. You are making this way too complicated. If you gain weight every week, then eat less or move more.

If you burned 58 calories walking today, but you normally do NOTHING, then if you did that every day, you would lose almost a pound. 58 x 7 = 406 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

wow just wow...

would it be easier if someone said no your TDEE is not 1337 it's 1324...

TDEE is not constant ever...no one can say what your number is...ever.
This discussion has been closed.