Expert on what shouldn't be in poor people's grocery carts.

Options

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    With everyone saying "I know so and so on welfare with a fancy this or that" Or fancy clothes, phone, etc... I'd think twice. Where I live, we have something called freecycle.com and you wouldn't *believe* the amazing things I've gotten on that site. Everyone on it is giving things away 100% FREE.

In total, I've probably gotten a total of $10,000 worth of free things for my home in the past year simply because the person was getting rid of it, and I was there to get it...

There are a lot of ways to get things very cheaply or for free if you live in a large metropolitan area. Including large plasma TVs.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    With everyone saying "I know so and so on welfare with a fancy this or that" Or fancy clothes, phone, etc... I'd think twice. Where I live, we have something called freecycle.com and you wouldn't *believe* the amazing things I've gotten on that site. Everyone on it is giving things away 100% FREE.

In total, I've probably gotten a total of $10,000 worth of free things for my home in the past year simply because the person was getting rid of it, and I was there to get it...

There are a lot of ways to get things very cheaply or for free if you live in a large metropolitan area. Including large plasma TVs.

I don't make broad generalizations about everyone based off my experience with the guy I've known for close to fifteen years.
    It might not translate over the internet but I'm not ignorant. I understand things happen and circumstances get complicated and sensitive, trust me. I merely stated I knew someone that was literally milking the system at one point because he's a mooch. I figured this was an appropriate thread to do that in. I know people on SNAP that are wonderful people, I know people on Unemployment that are wonderful people. The good outweigh the bad- this guy was just of the bad.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

You can if your card has both food/cash.

And this is where people minding what others are doing with their money get it wrong.

The cash that comes from those cards is NOT from the recipient's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps). That would be their TANF or TDAP cash assistance, formerly known as welfare, or possibly unemployment, SSI, or SSDI benefits.

It's money--their money--to be spent as they see fit.

People with cash benefits can pull their cash assistance from grocery store debit, ATM machines, etc. in addition to swiping their cards like anyone else does to spend cash from an account.

What they do with that cash is for them to decide.

I never said I cared what they spend the cash on. I didn't know it came from a separate source. You learn something new every day.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Isn't freecycle wonderful? I live in a tiny town and even here we can get some amazing stuff.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The good outweigh the bad- this guy was just of the bad.

What sucks about that guy, in addition to all of the things you mentioned, is that he wasn't the actual recipient of public assistance.

From what you shared, he was taking advantage of a woman and her family, who received assistance.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What sucks about that guy, in addition to all of the things you mentioned, is that he wasn't the actual recipient of public assistance.

From what you shared, he was taking advantage of a woman and her family, who received assistance.

Yes, and no. Neither here nor there but she didn't have a family. The daughter was his own from a previous failed marriage. As for the woman I can't speak for her, but I do know with his track record he was attracted to women that were less than stellar themselves. She did get tired of him and leave him eventually, though, so kudos to her.
    Regardless, he abused the system.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Isn't freecycle wonderful? I live in a tiny town and even here we can get some amazing stuff.

Freecycle is amazing, so is craigslist for clothing and furniture items. I have found so many good bargains at goodwill, Salvation army (bought lots of name brand shirts, some with tags still on them). Its where all my old clothes will be going now that i'm losing weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the article, based on what's written in the thread:

Frankly, it's none of anyone business what people on benefits/food stamps choose to buy with them. I can't believe people are being so judgemental over it. As if life's not hard enough already when you're poor, that they have to be an object of public scrutiny. So what if a poor person wants to eat steak? FFS perhaps they saved up for several weeks to be able to afford it. It's none of anyone else's business. They're not stealing it. They're not asking for extra benefits or food stamps to be able to eat it. If they've managed to budget to eat steak once in a while then they must be really good at planning their finances and that's likely to help them to get out of poverty in the long term, so should be seen as a good thing.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there are people like this. I am on food stamps. During one online conversation I was talking about making pepper steak. I was told that if I were on food stamps, I didn't deserve to have steak. Never mind that it was the kind of steak that you get in the 5 meats for $20 bundle . . . I was poor and should be relying on eggs and 70/30 hamburger, with the occasional can of tuna and commodity cheese for my protein. I think he would have had a stroke if I told him I bought the $5.99 bag of frozen shrimp, too--but the way I measure it out, those shrimp last for six meals. It's sad--people complain if poor people buy packaged food, they complain if we buy fresh veggies, they complain if we buy meat, they complain if we buy a gallon of milk . . . and Heaven forbid if you buy cans of soda or potato chips because you're going to be driving longish distances and it makes more sense to do that than to buy them at the gas station when the munchies hit. the nasty looks and comments she got on the rare occasions she went out.
    Excellent post. (Though I'm sorry you've had to deal with rough comments.)
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know some people take advantage of aid programs, but I really do choose to believe that the majority of people on assistance would rather not be on it, and instead would like a well-paying job and affordable daycare for their kids. I had a lady in line behind me at the grocery store today who was obviously trying to stretch her dollars. She was buying the damaged vegetables that are 75% off, and the expiring chicken legs that are half price and the stale bread and the fake cheese slices. She also had 2 packages of Easter treats that were on clearance and a little pink unicorn toy thingie that was half off. This was a woman who was obviously trying to feed at least once child, maybe 2, the best way she could. Instead of looking at her basket and thinking "she really shouldn't be buying toys and candy and what's up with that fake cheese crap" I asked the cashier to ring her stuff in with mine, wished her a pleasant day and went on my merry way. Is it possible she took this sudden $30 windfall and bought a bottle of wine or a pedicure? I certainly hope so because I think she could use a break. Why do some people choose to think the worst of everyone in the system because of a few bad apples?

Edited to add: End of rant.

You are unique! Lovely gesture, your compassion makes me smile :-)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I have never understood why it matters so much to others what someone else is doing, eating, who their attracted to, religion/non/religion,etc.

My theory is, if a person thinks the person is affluent or gainfully employed they are nosey enough to see how they got there and if they are being frugal as a way of getting there BUT if they think the person is poor or living on welfare, they are nosey because they are in part supporting that person through their tax dollars so feel they have the right to judge.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    What a judgemental website. Whose business is it what in an individual's cart? We might raise an eyebrow if we see six cases of fizzy drink, but to lay them down on a website? I'd be mortified if I felt someone was judging me and my character on my shopping basket. Food stamps or not, it's irrelevant.

Folks judge the shopping baskets of others all the time. This is especially so if they know you eat a different way, or are on food stamps or a health buff or anything else they can come up with. Call it human curiosity. Very little of our food dollars are spent in a conventional grocery store so when we do shop at one, it tends to be what some might call oddities in comparison to their food choice. Looking at my cart, they may think we survive on nothing but dry beans not knowing that I'm doing a bit of stocking up. I've had some rather interesting questions but then I chock that up to living in a small town where everyone knows everyone's business.
  • jmv7117
    Options

You can if your card has both food/cash.

And this is where people minding what others are doing with their money get it wrong.

The cash that comes from those cards is NOT from the recipient's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funds (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps). That would be their TANF or TDAP cash assistance, formerly known as welfare, or possibly unemployment, SSI, or SSDI benefits.

It's money--their money--to be spent as they see fit.

People with cash benefits can pull their cash assistance from grocery store debit, ATM machines, etc. in addition to swiping their cards like anyone else does to spend cash from an account.

What they do with that cash is for them to decide.

Well, there is the viewpoint that technically it is the taxpayer's money so those receiving it should use personal responsibility in the way they spend the taxpayer's money. When we were raising our kids and working bloody hard to do so, it was a bit discouraging to have the welfare kids put the working man's kids down because they didn't have the latest, greatest whatever and that type of thing still goes on. There's a lot of regular Joe Blows who work hard, long hours to have a nice lifestyle while being forced through taxes to support folks capable of working that choose welfare as a lifestyle instead. The fact is, there is this type of resentment and it's going away no time soon so the judging will continue.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Well, there is the viewpoint that technically it is the taxpayer's money so those receiving it should use personal responsibility in the way they spend the taxpayer's money. When we were raising our kids and working bloody hard to do so, it was a bit discouraging to have the welfare kids put the working man's kids down because they didn't have the latest, greatest whatever and that type of thing still goes on. There's a lot of regular Joe Blows who work hard, long hours to have a nice lifestyle while being forced through taxes to support folks capable of working that choose welfare as a lifestyle instead. The fact is, there is this type of resentment and it's going away no time soon so the judging will continue.

Interestingly enough, plenty of "welfare kids" are in "the working man's" family. More accurately, the working woman's family, or just plainly, working families. Minimum wage income still qualifies hundreds of thousands of people across the country to receive SNAP and cash income benefits for themselves and their children.

Benefits they pay for as "the taxpayer."

These polarities are outdated, as is the myth of the "welfare lifestyle," though I understand that they will persist.

Since 2008, more middle-class families have come to rely upon public benefits and community assistance. These people live in nice homes, drive nice cars, use nice technology, have nice things--except sufficient income. So they are the recipients their taxes went to support, and if they're anything like me when I was jobless for over a year, they're glad those programs exist when they're needed.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Considering how many military families are on public assistance including SNAP and WIC, I'd slap down anyone who claimed that people were on it because they were "lazy" or "unwilling to work".
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Considering how many military families are on public assistance including SNAP and WIC, I'd slap down anyone who claimed that people were on it because they were "lazy" or "unwilling to work".

There you go! I'd love to work, but there are not enough jobs around here for people who need to support themselves. So I tend a goat herd for six hours a week at $10 (as well as sometimes putting in a few hours extra every now and again when she needs help vaccinating and kidding and such). I also walk a dog for $20/week. I also do contract work evaluating article content (basically being an editor) at $3.24/article and writing SEO articles for $25/article. I have written one novel that's on Kindle right now and am working on the final draft of a second one. I'm starting to offer dog obedience classes here in town. I've also applied for readmission to the university I used to attend, to try to finish my degree.

I wish someone would tell me to my face how I'm on food stamps because I'm lazy and unwilling to work.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there are people like this. I am on food stamps. During one online conversation I was talking about making pepper steak. I was told that if I were on food stamps, I didn't deserve to have steak. Never mind that it was the kind of steak that you get in the 5 meats for $20 bundle . . . I was poor and should be relying on eggs and 70/30 hamburger, with the occasional can of tuna and commodity cheese for my protein. I think he would have had a stroke if I told him I bought the $5.99 bag of frozen shrimp, too--but the way I measure it out, those shrimp last for six meals. It's sad--people complain if poor people buy packaged food, they complain if we buy fresh veggies, they complain if we buy meat, they complain if we buy a gallon of milk . . . and Heaven forbid if you buy cans of soda or potato chips because you're going to be driving longish distances and it makes more sense to do that than to buy them at the gas station when the munchies hit.

I had a friend who was on food stamps. She was disabled and could not work or do much of anything. Her aunt bought her a really nice cell phone and paid the bill for almost four years (until my friend died) because she never wanted my friend to be out of contact (due to her health issues) and she wanted her niece to have something to do other than sit and watch television. You'd be amazed at the nasty looks and comments she got on the rare occasions she went out.

People just need to mind their own business. :)

So much this. I am on food stamps. And yeah, I buy 'junk'. I can't afford to buy steak, because our food stamps were cut. We only get $75 now. We were affected by the cut. For some asinine reason, they think we have enough money to feed ourselves. But we really, really don't.

I get disgusted looks from people when they see me pull out my SNAP card regardless of what I buy. If I dare to buy a steak, someone says something. If I buy a pack of hot dogs, someone says something. When I buy a diet mountain dew because I need the caffeine to get through my two 3 hour classes (for a total of 6 hours) on Thursdays... someone says something.

It's ridiculous. Some people are more worried about how we eat than how they themselves eat. And the 'it's my tax money I have a right to worry' bit grinds my gears, too. You know who else pays taxes? My mom. Who DOES work. Because when you're on food stamps you either have to be working or be actively seeking work. So people on food stamps pay just as many taxes as the rest of everyone else..

And my mom definitely isn't lazy. She spends ALL day working. She pretty much works 24/7. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. She is so stressed out now that I fear for her health.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

We are a military family, and the military encourages WIC, at least in my experience of delivering two babies at military treatment facilities and listening to a presenter tell us "you've earned it, might as well take advantage of it if your pay qualifies even if you don't need it." WIC does not take BAH (basic allowance for housing) pay into account when calculating eligibility, which means WIC-eligible military families could be bringing in hundreds to thousands of dollars more per month than WIC calculates (depending on location) and still qualify for the program. Sadly, there are military families who will go after every bit of available assistance or freebie that they qualify for, whether they need it or not. The military is a microcosm of society and there are people there who will play the system just like any place else.