90 days into Stronglifts 5x5 [w/ PICS]

Options
124»

Replies

• snufs
    snufs Posts: 78
    Options
    Wow, that is truly great progress, huge difference! I tried SL myself once, but didn't get nearly as good results as yours. Do you do anything else, like running or something? Or just SL alone? You're such an inspiration!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm stoked for this program. I did my first workout last night and LOVED it. I was doing NROL4W and it was too complicated and long in stage 3 so I stopped, I can't commit or stick to 1.5-2 hrs 3 days a week but this program and your progress are exactly what I need! Thanks for sharing! You're doing awesome.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The key point here is that the scale only dropped 5lbs yet the visual appearance is massive. Hence, scales suck :tongue: Well done OP! Also, looks like there is still a lot of improvement to be had in your squat. It is more common for people to struggle with deadlift form than the squat. From what I've seen technical issues with squats are normally with guys with terrible mobility. Not as common for females.

Good luck with your continued progress :smile:

I am the exact opposite. I'm great with deadlifts, whereas the squat is my weak point. In my original post where I talk about how I had a lot of issues to work through my squat was a big part of that. I was stuck just with the 45 lb bar for a long time because my form was just aweful.

I had weak ankles, so my heels always lifted off the floor and my weight would shift to my toes. I had tight and weak hips, so one side would dip more than the other and my squats were shallow (couldn't even hit parallel). My *kitten* and quad strength weren't up to par so when I would try and sink in the hole I wouldn't be strong enough to get out of it, thus failing the squat. It took me a lon time to find a squat stance that worked for me, too. I learned that a narrow stance for me doesn't work.

All around, it wasn't wise for me to add weight for awhile. Now I can finally squat like a normal person and am finally starting to add weight. They feel a lot more natural now whereas in the beginning it felt rigid, like my body wasn't designed for it. Just took some extra work is all.

Now deadlifts are a different story. THOSE feel natural to me. ;)
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing progress for only 3 months! After we get our house rearranged I really want to buy a weight set and bench and start doing this with my hubby.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I've been reading about strong lifts and I'm starting today!
    Quick question - we're you eating less than 1750 before you started? And are you still losing weight at 1750?
    I want to lose weight but eat more than my current 1450 and get strong but it sounds like a tricky balance to get right?

Before I started lifting heavy, I was a Weight Watchers member and all I did was running. I'm unsure of what my calories were for the day at that time (idk how many calories the points correlate to), but I don't imagine that it was anything more than 1,400. Right now eating at 1750 and lifting, it's not so much what the scale says that matters anymore. If you're thinking in terms of losing inches, yes, I do lose while eating 1750. I recommend joining the group here on MFP called "Eat, Train, Progress" and read their stickies on how to set up your personal daily calorie/macro goals.
    Wow, that is truly great progress, huge difference! I tried SL myself once, but didn't get nearly as good results as yours. Do you do anything else, like running or something? Or just SL alone? You're such an inspiration!

I used to run as HIIT training a couple times a week, but I no longer do. Instead of the running I'll do three cucuits of various bodyweight and heavy dumb-bell accessory exercises, along with using the indoor row machine!
    Way to go! I'm stoked for this program. I did my first workout last night and LOVED it. I was doing NROL4W and it was too complicated and long in stage 3 so I stopped, I can't commit or stick to 1.5-2 hrs 3 days a week but this program and your progress are exactly what I need! Thanks for sharing! You're doing awesome.

I have that book and yes, too complicated! However I do use some of the moves in there that use heavy dumb-bells as accessory work to my workouts. Moves like the shoulder press are always helpful. :)
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Lifting is the BEST!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Glad you found a lifting program that you could follow! :drinker: When will your next pics be posted? :smile:
    Your post is so encouraging! I am currently trying to find a trainer (w/o a broscience degree). :noway:
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing! only 5 lbs? looks like soo much more! uhh I think I need to lift haha
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Just goes to show the scale doesn't tell the whole story - I would have thought that was way more than a 5 pound loss!

^^^ this! What a visual difference those 5 lbs made! Way to go!
  • WeightLossWarrior6
    WeightLossWarrior6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You look great! That's huge progress
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This post is so inspiring and encouraging!!
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    Fantastic job! Glad you found a lifting program that you could follow! :drinker: When will your next pics be posted? :smile:
    Your post is so encouraging! I am currently trying to find a trainer (w/o a broscience degree). :noway:

Hmmm, good question about the pics! I have posted pics each month up to this point. I might continue doing that, or from this point just wait until I hit the 6 month mark to post.
  • dpandori
    dpandori Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress!! Great job!

I just started 5x5 today. My form for squats is terrible. I can't seem to get myself to stay flat-footed. I think I'm going to ditch my sneakers and just do it barefoot. I think part of my problem is that I'm pretty overweight so I think gravity might just be working against me. :-) My legs certainly feel tired and when I ran afterwards I was done.

This is all very encouraging! What did you do to get your squats right? Just keep at it?
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    Excellent progress!! Great job!

I just started 5x5 today. My form for squats is terrible. I can't seem to get myself to stay flat-footed. I think I'm going to ditch my sneakers and just do it barefoot. I think part of my problem is that I'm pretty overweight so I think gravity might just be working against me. :-) My legs certainly feel tired and when I ran afterwards I was done.

This is all very encouraging! What did you do to get your squats right? Just keep at it?

Honestly yes, it was a true situation of "practice makes perfect" in my case. Idk what sneakers you have but if you're going to wear shoes, it is best to wear ones that are flat without an insole when lifting. I wear converse all-stars in the gym.

Do your heels rise off the floor? Some people put small plates or a wooden block under their heels to help counteract that when they first start.

What has helped me keep my form straight is actually looking upwards, or just at a fixed point. I look up at the top of the squat rack in the mirror reflection right in front of me. Keeps me from being sloppy.

Big culrpits of poor squat form seem to be weak ankle mobility and tight hips. I had both going on at once. What helped a lot was to do specific stretches for ankle mobility, and stretches that open up the hips. I include them in my stretching routine before and after each workout. And really getting my hamstrings stretched helped my ankle mobility, too.

I found doing accessory exercises such as goblet squats to be immensly helpful with me gaining the quad strength I needed. Do ab exercises as well - really focus on getting your core strong.

I used just the bar for a long time. I didn't add weight until I could actually drop below parallel with it. I was starting to doubt that I'd ever be able to do it. Sometimes you can't estimate when the breakthroughs will happen. You just have to keep trying.

I hope this was helpful! :)
  • sushiyeeum
    sushiyeeum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your progress is amazing!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress! I so need to start lifting lol
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Excellent work their lady! I showed my GF your post and she agreed we are moving her to more weights and less cardio. We have been doing a lot of cardio/strength work with P90X3 and she does Zumba. It helps her overall energy but the stubborn fat is not moving. We're starting Beast together. I did the first part already. She used to lift so it's going to be fun.

Thanks to folks like you who post pictures and progress it helps inspire others who aren't even active on the forum. Good work!.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Very lovely! :love: I love success stories like these! Keep up the awesome work. I will get there, eventually. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!