But I love meat!!!

Options

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion. The doc might be pushing some sort of weird ideological thing.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what studies show, what does common sense tell you? Do you think the very first humans had a diet like ours?

:huh:

The "very first humans" (not what they're technically called, but lets just go with that) hadn't even discovered fire yet... We've evolved just a teensy bit since then, inside and out.

They probably had a delicious steak tartare.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't get this. We're omnivores. We're made to eat meat.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've not touched meat or fish since 1990....it's not done me any harm :wink: I don't do dairy either :drinker:
    Good luck with whatever you do!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Chuck a cow in a lake... it's swimming!! Eat it!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: WINNER!! :drinker:
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what studies show, what does common sense tell you? Do you think the very first humans had a diet like ours?

Do you really think all they ate was veggies?

We've evolved quite a lot since the "very first humans."
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your cardiologist could be harboring some "old" ideas. At the very least I would get another opinion before undertaking such a drastic change.

It's one thing to make a change like that if it's how you WANT to eat. However if not (and I love meat so it would not be something i'd take to kindly), I would definitely be doing a lot of research (via other sources) before launching into it.
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

In the process of trying to lower my cholesterol, I basically gave up red meats. I ate a lot of chicken, fish, turkey, veggies, and lots of fiber, and also watched my saturated fats for about 6 months. I lowered my cholesterol considerably but there was a downside. In the process i turned up anemic or iron deficient. My Doctor recommended an iron supplement to combat the anemia. A dietician friend also recommended a B-12 supplement. Giving up a grilled chicken breast seems extreme but your Doctor may have a reason.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do you think the very first humans had a diet like ours?

Nope, not at all. Here's what paleolithic humans ate:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-hunter-gatherer-diets-varied/#axzz30afI4Dt3

Spoiler alert: It's mostly meat!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. My dad's family has heart issues (his father had a heart attack at 50) and hereditary high cholesterol. My dad doesn't eat eggs, red meat... But he does eat chicken and turkey in moderation.

Hereditary heart / cholesterol problems are scary

They are scary...but they are not caused by eating red meat or eggs.

I started all of this diet and fitness stuff about 18 months ago with highly elevated LDL cholesterol levels, low HDL levels, off the chart triglycerides, and borderline diabetic blood sugar levels. Even though much of this is hereditary...my dad had type II diabetes, stage III kidney failure, and heart disease and recently passed away at the ripe old age of 61...I've been able to completely reverse it all through diet and exercise...and I eat all of the animals (and fish), eggs every day, tons of vegetables and fruit and whole grains and legumes.

Any recent study is going to show that there's really no direct correlation to eating meat and high cholesterol levels and the idea that dietary cholesterol causes high blood serum levels was debunked years ago. These health issues are a culmination of hereditary factors along with overall diet and fitness (or lack thereof), not really one specific thing like red meat.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. My dad's family has heart issues (his father had a heart attack at 50) and hereditary high cholesterol. My dad doesn't eat eggs, red meat... But he does eat chicken and turkey in moderation.

I started all of this diet and fitness stuff about 18 months ago with highly elevated LDL cholesterol levels, low HDL levels, off the chart triglycerides, and borderline diabetic blood sugar levels. Even though much of this is hereditary...my dad had type II diabetes, stage III kidney failure, and heart disease and recently passed away at the ripe old age of 61...I've been able to completely reverse it all through diet and exercise...and I eat all of the animals (and fish), eggs every day, tons of vegetables and fruit and whole grains and legumes.

Any recent study is going to show that there's really no direct correlation to eating meat and high cholesterol levels and the idea that dietary cholesterol causes high blood serum levels was debunked years ago. These health issues are a culmination of hereditary factors along with overall diet and fitness (or lack thereof), not really one specific thing like red meat.
    Unfortunately, medical schools are STILL teaching the lipid and diet-heart hypotheses as-if they're fact, when they're not only unproven, but most research has concluded the complete opposite of the theories that led to the hypotheses themselves.

I agree, a second opinion is warranted in this case, especially as the science doesn't support the suggestion.

FYI I eat anywhere from 65 to 80% of my daily calories from fat, much of it saturated (I choose to eat low-carb/high-fat to manage Type I diabetes). I eat heavy cream, butter, fatty meats, eggs, etc., all I want. My most-recent labs put my Tg/HDL-C ratio at 0.696 (a high Tg/HDL-C ratio is one of the strongest predictors of CVD/events), which flies in the face of what your current cardiologist thinks would happen from a diet like that.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion.

THIS. Your cardiologist, and most doctors and nutritionists, are wrong. Meat and saturated fat do NOT harm health (ideally free ranged) and quite the opposite actually. Humans have been eating animals for a long, long time (including fat and organs) but not so much loads of sugar and heavily processed "food". Using logic: heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and many other illnesses are relatively new to humans, or at least far more common since processed foods started to dominate our diet but animals have been consumed since the beginning of human existence.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I have gout and my doctor favorite saying is does it have a mother if so don't eat it. My reply was and always will be give me the pills and I'll use moderation I love meat too much to give it up.

Do more research. Gout is a metabolic disease; most likely caused in large part by a diet dominated by sugar and processed carbs. Meat and fat have been made the scapegoat (for everything!) but it is complete BS. I know people that have been able to control their gout by diet alone, and these people are most careful with SUGAR consumption.
  • kimacduff
    kimacduff Posts: 29
    Options
    I would think that Lean meat would be a great choice. I am lucky that my husband is a hunter. I get Venison & wild birds all the time- the original organic meats.
    I'm not a cardiologist ( or any other kind of Dr.) so I don't know why she said that. I would think animals raised w/o hormones & junk in humane circumstances would be good for you. There is more & more of that available all the time.
    On the other hand pink slime & abused animals is not good. I live in the country. the farmers around here have their cattle grazing in open fields. They look pretty happy...except for the ending of their lives I think they are living a good life. I've seen the chickens roaming around too in some places.
    I love seafood, but the ocean is getting pretty scary. Mercury, radiation, oil.... I still eat it but I'm careful how much.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

What's more scary is people following the worst possible dietary advice and getting sicker because of it... then being prescribed a ton of pharmaceuticals, and then needing surgeries, on and on.

Just an FYI: we have almost absolute control over our own health; the "heriditary/genetic" argument is a cop out. Of course generation after generation is going to have poor health when each of those generations also ate crap and had unhealthy lifestyles. I've debunked the genetic argument in my own life. There is every disease in my family, autoimmune disorders, cancer, heart disease, stroke, depression, you name it. I have resolved ALL of the ones I "inherited" (long, long list) just by changing WHAT I EAT and how I live.
  • kimacduff
    kimacduff Posts: 29
    Options

I agree with Wolfman. the whole intake has to be considered. My Dad was diabetic too. died at 58. He smoked too. that just aggravated everything. he was a slender Man. Not over weight at all. Became diabetic in his 20's. Possibly caused by a virus that affected his Pancreas.
    You need veggies, fruit & protein. preferably fresh prepared by yourself. You can get protein from beans, nuts, seeds eggs etc. But I also think meats are good if they are raised humanely w/o hormones & junk feeds. I'm lucky to have a hunter in the family. the original organic meats.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: we have almost absolute control over our own health; the "heriditary/genetic" argument is a cop out.

No. No, this is so incredibly wrong.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Your cravings for meat can likely be met by our friends fat and salt.

Fat and sodium ... so, basically, the stuff that's already IN meat?

Cravings for meat can be met by...eating meat...cause complete proteins and all.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Just an FYI: we have almost absolute control over our own health; the "heriditary/genetic" argument is a cop out.

No. No, this is so incredibly wrong.

Yeah cuz laying around on the couch eating crap makes a ton of sense. And if we have "good genetics" we'll be just fine- yet all the inactive people eating junk are sick... hmmmm, yup, must be genetics. And if we have bad genetics there's no point in trying because nothing we do will make any difference. duh. Actually all of us have good genetics (evidenced by the fact our ancestors survived and procreated), and genes express themselves based on the environment (but I suppose that's "incrediblly wrong" too). So, moral of the story: don't do anything to try to be healthy cuz.... ??

At least what I say is based on real life experience. So what's your theory on why all my "genetic" illnesses were resolved when I changed what I eat? I'm sure you are a better expert on ME (a woman) than I am.....
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    We eat grass fed beef, pork and chicken we raise ourselves, and other things. Your cardiologist and I would part ways. *HUGS*

Yes I would definitely ask why grass fed (without "grain finishing") and hunted meats were off the table. They are much leaner meats.