PCOS-recommendations from nutritionist :)

Options
13»

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I had no idea that losing 5-7% of weight will help improve! I am so thankful that we became pals! :heart:

It really does. I also have PCOS, but since I lost 35lb, the symptoms are gone and I live like a normal woman again. Just wanted to give a little hope to those at the beginning of the journey. You can lose weight. It does seem slightly more difficult in the beginning but once it starts to come off, it gradually becomes easier. I did notice the belly fat wasn't coming off, even after I lost significant weight, but you find your way. For me it was a lot of targeted work on all of my abs via boot camp. I'm still working on it, but now I know that it's possible. I don't care how it is. Good luck ladies!! :heart:
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Or a woman suffering/living with PCOS.
    OMG your nutritionist is full of bro-science. LOL

SERIOUSLY.

this list is full of NOT things i'd suggest doing if you have a problem with insulin/pcos/thyroid. lolol.

And I doubt you are a doctor! LOL

aaaaaaaaactually. althought i'm not a doctor, i do have pcos. been on synthroid since i was 13 and am trying to avoid going on metformin by altering my diet. but thanks :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using ground flax seed this week! (it beats fish burps from fish oil supplements! LOL)

I would attest to most of these working for me! :flowerforyou:

I use chia seeds as well as flax seeds...they are both great in greek yogurt and oatmeal!

Sometimes I grind them...but to be honest, I like them in greek yogurt for CRUNCH! I also take additional omega-3 (and a zillion other vitamins) so these are not my sole source of omega's but every bit helps :)

I just learned grounding the flax seed is better than just adding them ...since it hardly digests as a whole seed...have you heard this?
  • ktrout87
    ktrout87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a couple of people have said they also have thyroid issues. Low thyroid can mess up the menstrual cycle on its own. It could be worth keeping an eye on your own levels and ensuring you know how to interpret the numbers yourself by reading information on your national thyroid support site or the "stop the thyroid madness" site .

I fear that many of us do not know that there is a general under diagnosis, combined with under treatment of this problem and that our diets are generally low in iodine and other minerals which help to keep thyroid levels healthy. More info in sites as mentioned.

Please do not be offended. I mention this only as a possible contributory factor. Working towards everyone having the best health they can.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I had no idea that losing 5-7% of weight will help improve! I am so thankful that we became pals! :heart:

I can tell you from personal experience that a 5-7% weight loss may not result in a noticeable change in symptoms. For me, there's a magic number that I have to reach on the scale and it's 180 lbs. I get over 180 and I'm breaking out, go months without a period, and losing massive amounts of hair. I keep it under 180 and my cycles are 27-29 days, only minor breakouts around my period and I only lose a normal amount of hair through washing and brushing.

Not trying to be naysayer. Just don't want anyone getting discouraged if they drop from 215 to 200 and don't notice a reduction in symptoms. Sometimes it takes more than that to start seeing results.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump...