everyone from the UK - newbies and oldies - MFP users

Options

Replies

• katmil
    katmil Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi All!
    Another Londoner here! I joined MFP in September 2010, I wasn't actually looking for this site, I stumbled upon it and decided to give it a whirl! I was hooked from the start! I have lost over 20lbs, and have had LOADS of comments and compliments from friends and family, I'm a dress size smaller and I LOVE going to the gym! I used to be an exercise-phobe but have surprised myself with how much I actually enjoy it!

Katie xx
  • mariondot40
    mariondot40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi

Im in the uk, and come from Gloucester-shire and think this site is great.:
  • sjd200
    sjd200 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am from Watford in Hertfordshire !!!!
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    I'm from Central Scotland :) I have the usual backstory. Been overweight for years, tried diets in the past, blah blah. I want to do it for real this time though :D
  • MarkHarrisonUK
    Options
    Mark, West Sussex. Hit 40 in October and realised that I am not the same weight I was in my 20s.... not even a little bit.
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there, from the North West. Been on the site a while but stopped using it and put what I lost plus more on. Now 10.5 stones and want to get to 9.5stone by May, then maybe a little closer to 9. I'm 5'3" do lots of exercise and till recently could just eat what I wanted and I did!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hi from South Wales!
    I started here last august after a tip off from one of the Ladies on the Slim fast website. I lost a just over a stone doing slim fast but started to miss real food, so started tracking calories her instead. I reached my original goal of 11 stone in November and started getting a bit more serious about exercise to help maintain my weight. I put on 2 lbs on over Christmas and decided to reduce my goal to 10 st 10lbs which hopfull means i'll be able to matain below 11st in the future. his is the first time since before I left school that I've been below 11st 7, and I'm loving my thinner but still curvy shape.
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,065 Member
    Options
    Hello, from Surrey (nr Heathrow as well)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You are very right about getting comfortable - I have done just that. And whilst it's great and I wouldn't change it for the world, I need to find a balance. I am very lucky that I am fit and healthy and can exercise and look after myself - and I owe it to myself and my husband to make sure that I do!

In terms of exercise, what do you (and anyone else on here!) do about strengthing stomach muscles. With the weight loss going well, I would like to tone up a bit - not to massive muscle tone but just a bit of outline. With my lifestyle (which involves a standard 12 hour day including travel to and from work) I find it difficult to find time to join a gym - and I get bored with it quickly anyway! What can I do at home to aid this?

Any advice or exercise ideas gratefully received!

I wanted to start toning up too. Starting mid November I did the Jillian Michales 30day shred. Its a tough workout that includes both strength and cardio. But as its only 20 mins plus walm up and cool down sections (28 mins in all) its very do able.
    It consists of 3 circuts each has 3 min strength section, 2 min cardio section and 1 minute abs. sounds easy? Thats what I thoughtoo untill I first tried level one! The fact that there are 3 levels and you move up to the next one every 10 days (or when you feel able, but the 10 days worked out perfectly for me) means that theres not enough time for the boredom to creep in. You do need hand weights to do it, but you could start out with small bottles of water if you don't have hand weights. Its less than £5 on Amazon at the moment . I lost inches from everywhere and loved it so much I'm now doing 2 of JM's other dvds.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey sheepdpglady

Nice to meet u, I dont usually tend to start threads (or ones that end up kinda popular haha) but its lovely meeting people on here :-) nice to have a UK bunch to talk to :bigsmile:

Well done on your weight loss, even if its not the main focus for you!

pen x
  • pen282
    Options
    Hey daisy_chick

Well done on getting back on track with the healthy eating plan your doing better than me! My eating has been out for abotu 4 weeks now since my gym shut for 3 weeks... I find it hard i have discovered to stay within my 1270cals when havin done no exercise... anyone else has this problem? I know the answer of course would be to try fit some exercise in.... :bigsmile:

Like you, I plan to get the exercise back on track- i know I'll love it when Im back in my usual routine!!
  • savagegirl
    savagegirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Susie and I'm from Birmingham. I'm 5ft 6 currently about 10st 2 which although i'm a size 10, carrying a bit of extra weight especially in the muffin top area!! HAHA! Anyway, I'll be 40 in April and really want to get in good shape by then and lose at least half a stone to ten pounds by then.
    I'm just starting out on here really. Feel free to friend me and I'll try and be supportive. Its great to see others from the UK are on here.:laugh: Lets go for it!! :laugh:
  • pen282
    Options
    Hey dellaznailz and welcome!

Stones I can do, pounds getting there but kilos... nope haha! Have you been on this site long - and how far along your weight loss journey are you!

Nice to meet u

x
  • pen282
    Options
    Hi Katmil

This site is great isn't it - like you, I stumbled upon it too! Its funny you mention gettin 'hooked' on this site, I feel like I am sometimes haha, but at least its towards a positive cause!!

Well done on your weightlos and being a dress size smaller! :-)
    I know what you mean, my name's Penny and I used to be a fitness-phobe... now I miss going to the gym...!

xx
  • pen282
    Options
    Hey sapphirelazuli

I'm in Central Scotland too :-) We sounds similar I have to say - been overweight blah blah - now we ARE doing this for real!!!
  • Serenity79
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm from Northern Ireland, just joined this site and am hoping it will give me the accountability I need to drop 2 stone (how nice to actually be able to use stones, haha!) It's going to be a long slow road as I suffer from a condition called 'Hypermobility Ehlers Danlos Syndrome' (amongst others) which makes exercise difficult if not impossible. So I need to do this through diet as much as possible. And from someone who has a major sweet tooth this is going to be a major task! :laugh:
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Hey all,

It's so great that loads of people have posted on here!

I have finally found my motivation again and so far day 3 is looking good! Keep up the great work everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great week :)
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate_Uk,

Thanks for that - I'll have a look on Amazon at the Jillian Michaels DVD's. I've always been slightly put off by some of the stories I hear of how hard she works you - but I like to think I'm reasonably fit and active so got to be wortth a go! I've not got weights - wondering if I could use the resistance bands that came with the Wii Sports Active.

So Amazon here I come....:smile:
  • cherrycoco
    Options
    Hello

Another UK user here! I'm new to the site. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Good luck everyone!

CC x
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne... started this last year, gave it up after a bout of illness. Im ready and raring to go to make changes!

Hello to all you lovely UK based people :D