Biggest surprise after buying a scale

Options
I finally heeded all the advice about buying a kitchen scale. There were some surprises and some I had been guesstimating almost perfectly. But, what a surprise I had with the mayonnaise. It was twice the amount I had been logging! I wil not be without a kitchen scale again! What was your biggest surprise?

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Mine was the amount of meat and cheese. I thought before I got my scale I was having 4 ounces of steak. I actually was having 6-7 ounces and logging as 4. Same with cheese. I would not be without my scale now.. Real eye opener..
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I finally heeded all the advice about buying a kitchen scale. There were some surprises and some I had been guesstimating almost perfectly. But, what a surprise I had with the mayonnaise. It was twice the amount I had been logging! I wil not be without a kitchen scale again! What was your biggest surprise?

What an ounce of certain fruits looked like.
  • kinjalp
    kinjalp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine was quite similar to you! I was sometimes having almost three times the serving of peanut butter versus the weight!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    difference in weight cooked vs. uncooked.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cheese, chips, condiments, peanut butter/nuts, etc.

Pretty much everything except pasta. For some reason, I always did 2 ounces of pasta for a meal...
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    difference in weight cooked vs. uncooked.

Oh and that.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The fact that I had been largely OVERESTIMATING my portions before the scale, even though you constantly hear that most people underestimate what they're eating. I was eating way less than I thought, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much more I could add to equal one serving. I'm always on board for more food. :bigsmile:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, condiments, cereal, cheese, and I agree about meat weighed cooked vs. raw. I used to always weigh it cooked and I realized how off I had been for so long. I make it a point now to weigh raw usually, and if not I find the "cooked" values in the database and check the USDA site too for confirmation.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was eating a lot more peanut butter than i thought.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1 ounce of chips is more chips than I thought it was. So. Score on that one.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was eating one serving of cereal, but after I got my scale I realized it was three!! Since then I use it no matter what! :-)
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was way underestimating my pretzels (serious addiction), eating three times what I thought I was. I solved that by weighing and separating individual servings into ziplock bags as soon as I got the box. Meat, however, is a different story. I was seriously OVERestimating that. What I thought was about 4 oz was actually 2.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Weight of meat. 100g chicken is like, nothing. And bacon.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    butter - mostly because it's high calorie and I started watching how much I use - without a scale I would have guestimated but I use a lot less I thought - weighing it in grams helps
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Heck after a year it's still depressing to see how small one ounce is (but grated cheese = awesome, it seems like a lot!). Butter really adds up too.

And beef, those steaks always look tiny for how much they weigh.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

This is why it's a great tool especially if a person has stopped losing and can't figure out why. A greater degree of accuracy can make the difference between losing, maintaining and gaining.
  • filledesiles
    filledesiles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, after a trip to the ice cream shop (with my kitchen scale) - my biggest surprise yet! A cone of chocolate soft serve - 130grams- 270 calories - way over the 150 calories I would have guesstimated!! :( But I DO love my scale!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    So far the only thing I discovered to have been inaccurately logged is avocado. That was off by about 25.
    Everything else my estimates have been correct within five calories.
    I was both pleased at my estimating abilities and disappointed. I had sort of hoped a scale would improve my accuracy and get me out of my plateau, but no.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm really sad about how much a serving of cereal really is.