I SUCK at putting food in my mouth!

Options

Replies

• trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Blend it. Blend it all.

I have the same problem. I don't enjoy eating at home. I can gorge myself at a restaurant, but I hate eating/prepping/putting food in my mouth at home. much easier to drink the calories.
  • shannahendren
    shannahendren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Apetamin on you tube. It really helps.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Don't eat as clean as humanly possible. That's usually the problem for people in your lucky little boat, they want to eat 3000 calories but can't figure out how to put down that much broccoli. Your body just needs the calories, it doesn't care where they come from. Have a few doughnuts for breakfast and eat clean the rest of day. No time? Have a couple candy bars for lunch. It's not going the be unhealthy for you as long as most of your diet comes from healthy sources which I'm sure it does.
    OP, think of it this way: your body needs a certain amount of vitamins and minerals and amino acids in order to run. The amount of each of those things is not a percentage of your total intake, it is just a flat number.

For example if you normally eat 2000 calories to maintain and get 60mg of vitamin C per day, when bulking at 3000 calories you DO NOT suddenly need 90 mg of vitamin C. So if you eat your maintenance consisting of all of the foods you normally eat to maintain, this will get you your required micronutrients. The rest do not need to contain any micronutrients, so even if you were add all the extra calories in the form of 100% pure sugar/fat/protein molecules, you would still get the nutrition your body needs to be healthy.

TL;DR Get Dirty

oh-yeah-o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ice cream.

That was my finisher for my bulking days (3500+) when I didn't get there from "normal" food during the day. That said, it isn't *that* hard to get there with regular food...just look for opportunities to add cheese, butter, etc....but I understand how it can turn into a real grind, especially if you're not disciplined to front-load your day with calories.

ETA: Ah, yes, chocolate milk. I forgot about the cups of that I would have post-workout/whenever. Good call, geebusuk.
  • dwilks42
    dwilks42 Posts: 18
    Options
    It's really not entirely different than the millions of people that struggle with the exact opposite problem (putting TOO much food in their mouths). Just like you might be skipping meals (consciously or subconsciously), those trying to "diet"/cut/lose weight might choose to (consciously or subconsciously) have one too many treats and exceed their caloric intake.

Either way, it comes down to REALLY wanting to achieve the desired result. If people want a leaner physique, they're going to make the sacrifice to move more & eat less. Just like them, you might have to sacrifice a bit and make eating a priority, if bulking is truly your desired result.

Combine making it a priority with some of the calorie-dense foods previous posters have suggested and you'll be well on your way.

Best of luck with the gainz!

I feel like "REALLY wanting" is no match for OP's busy or his ADD.

That just goes back to my point that there has to be sacrifice. Whether it's gaining or losing, there is always going to be some obstacle in the way isn't there? Then the only question is whether it becomes an excuse not to do it, or an obstacle you overcome so that you can do it.

I guess I don't know enough about ADD to know if actual SPECIFIC tools might be more useful to the OP or just some BUCK UP kinds of advice. IDK. Just overall reading his OP the "busy" and "ADD" stuck out in my mind as the top obstacles to be overcome for his success. I in NO way meant those to be excuses but just the points to focus on ironing out to look forward to success.

Sorry if it seemed like I was excusing him for anything, I'm fairly certain he seems to want to work out whatevers in his way of getting his cals up. At least that's how his tone came across.

Agreed. I also did not think you were excusing him. In fact, I thought I'd just give some "buck up" advice since some pretty good specific ideas were already covered by you and other previous posters. Getting dirty (with food choices), setting reminders/alarms, bringing portable foods, etc. would all be great at addressing his particular noted obstacles.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    It's really not entirely different than the millions of people that struggle with the exact opposite problem (putting TOO much food in their mouths). Just like you might be skipping meals (consciously or subconsciously), those trying to "diet"/cut/lose weight might choose to (consciously or subconsciously) have one too many treats and exceed their caloric intake.

Either way, it comes down to REALLY wanting to achieve the desired result. If people want a leaner physique, they're going to make the sacrifice to move more & eat less. Just like them, you might have to sacrifice a bit and make eating a priority, if bulking is truly your desired result.

Combine making it a priority with some of the calorie-dense foods previous posters have suggested and you'll be well on your way.

That just goes back to my point that there has to be sacrifice. Whether it's gaining or losing, there is always going to be some obstacle in the way isn't there? Then the only question is whether it becomes an excuse not to do it, or an obstacle you overcome so that you can do it.

I guess I don't know enough about ADD to know if actual SPECIFIC tools might be more useful to the OP or just some BUCK UP kinds of advice. IDK. Just overall reading his OP the "busy" and "ADD" stuck out in my mind as the top obstacles to be overcome for his success. I in NO way meant those to be excuses but just the points to focus on ironing out to look forward to success.

Sorry if it seemed like I was excusing him for anything, I'm fairly certain he seems to want to work out whatevers in his way of getting his cals up. At least that's how his tone came across.

Agreed. I also did not think you were excusing him. In fact, I thought I'd just give some "buck up" advice since some pretty good specific ideas were already covered by you and other previous posters. Getting dirty (with food choices), setting reminders/alarms, bringing portable foods, etc. would all be great at addressing his particular noted obstacles.
    laycool-hug-it-out-2-0-o.gif
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm with you. I forgot to eat today and am trying to make up 1300 calories between dinner, chocolate milk and probably some ice cream. I didn't think this was humanly possible, but I'm totally sick of ice cream. Try to ease up on the idea of eating clean -- you'll never hit your calories that way! Do the best you can, and then make up the rest with whatever you can stand to eat at the end of the day.
  • dwilks42
    dwilks42 Posts: 18
    Options
    Lmao! That gif killed me
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't blame ya... on high days for me ill eat 2100 calories... but ill be soooo full by that time... I cant imagine 3000 calories a day... idk maybe eat a chipotle burrito a day

I get =
    chicken or steak
    cheese
    pico (the diced tomatoes n onions)
    guacamole
    brown rice
    pinto beans

that alone is seriously 1000 calories for me!! maybe it'll help u haha... or just pick up drinking! haha beer has a lot of calories!! im jk don't pick up drinking :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    It occurred to me this morning to ask if lots of water was being consumed IN ADDITION to other fluids. There is a myth out there that one needs "8 glasses of water" to stay properly hydrated. That fluid intake does not need to be water alone. Almost any other liquid except those containing alcohol or excessive caffeine can count as well.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a match thrown into a trash can. PLEASE do not turn this thread into a dumpster fire. I sincerely beleive it is possible our health minded OP could be walking around with a bottle of water in his hand all day long AND still drinking large drinks with his meals and also consuming all the liquid that is in smoothies or protein drinks etc.
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I DO NOT have.

Have you tried a gainer shake? From my understanding you can get some that are like 1200 calories for one shake. Maybe that would be something to try?

I had no idea that the gainer shakes offered so many calories! I'll check them out. I'd prefer "real" food but this is a valid option since I don't the time to cook.
  • jamesolmos
    Options
    i have an alarm clock set to noon b'c when i get busy that's my most common time of the day to forget to eat.

Think about your life, how many alarms do you have. Set one for each meal/snack time and carry portable foods you can eat when you need them, like snack bars, nuts, pnut butter packets, honey packets, sugar packets, dry oatmeal packets to mix with hot water from any starbucks, things like that.

Set your cell phone, your bedside alarm, your watch alarm, your work clock alarm, every alarm you have for the different times you need to eat. ADD does not sound easy but your ears still work and hopefully this can help.

Slowly getting through these post replies and writing down the suggestions! Another great idea - thanks! Actually, the MFP ap has an alarm option for adding your calories; I'll and use that :)
  • jamesolmos
    Options

You makes some very VERY valid points. I've thought about the conscious/subconscious fact . . . I've worked so hard to get my BF % down that I don't want to start coverer up my abs with fat again. Calorie-dense foods - I like those ideas :)
  • jamesolmos
    Options
    Excuse me..let me go grab a tissue so I can cry for you. :)
    Wish I had this problem...lol
    Wonder how comments like these would be received on the 'Losing Weight' boards if those of us trying to gain posted them?

Clearly, you are the devil, and would be labelled as such. Hold still while i grab my torch and pitchfork...

OP, try boiling a dozen eggs, and keep them in the fridge so you can grab a couple at a time for a quick food, or mash it up with some mayo for egg salad sandwiches when you have a bit more time. Bananas are an easy bring along food. Either buy or make up a bunch of individually wrapped burger patties, or sausages that you can fry up for quick dinners. Bagels instead of bread for sandwiches

I really like the boiled egg idea! I'm pretty good on fruits and eat them often . . . I don't eat beef or pork though . . . only fowl and fish. Thanks!
  • jamesolmos
    Options

All good :) You're right - I work out a lot and I'm feeling great and strong . . . just need to add some muscle mass but nothing crazy. Great feedback!
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

You makes some very VERY valid points. I've thought about the conscious/subconscious fact . . . I've worked so hard to get my BF % down that I don't want to start coverer up my abs with fat again. Calorie-dense foods - I like those ideas :)
    Exactly! Most people are recommending you eat dirty to make up for those calories, that's fine if what you want to gain is more body fat. You need to do what's called a " clean bulk". You have to increase the portion sizes of your current meals, especially your protein. Last night for example, I had like 1000 calories that still fit into my macros; easy, I had a cup of cooked white rice, a cup of cooked red beans, a 6 oz chicken breast, a 7 ounce pork chop, and a serving of ranch dressing with my a small salad; actually I used half a serving of dressing with my salad(1 tbsp) and half a serving for dipping... That was well over 900 calories... That's just one example; you can add extra whole eggs to your current breakfast. If you have a post workout shake add a serving of peanut butter, a banana, a cup of whole milk and 2 scoops of weigh protein, that's over 600 calories there.. See? That's half your calories in just 2 meals.
    Another thing that should be addressed is your training style. First off, cut out all cardio! You need to train with weights! Lift heavy! Compound movements like barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell and dumbbell presses, military presses, weighted dips, weighted chins, etc. The weight used should allow you no more then 6-8 reps.. Try to stick with free weights, machines don't recruit as much muscle fibers, and machines don't activate stabilizer muscles like free weights do. Try to increase your poundages frequently.
    If you follow this it should allow you to make cleaner gains; of course genetic limitations are also a factor.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Exactly! Most people are recommending you eat dirty to make up for those calories, that's fine if what you want to gain is more body fat. You need to do what's called a " clean bulk". You have to increase the portion sizes of your current meals, especially your protein. Last night for example, I had like 1000 calories that still fit into my macros; easy, I had a cup of cooked white rice, a cup of cooked red beans, a 6 oz chicken breast, a 7 ounce pork chop, and a serving of ranch dressing with my a small salad; actually I used half a serving of dressing with my salad(1 tbsp) and half a serving for dipping... That was well over 900 calories... That's just one example; you can add extra whole eggs to your current breakfast. If you have a post workout shake add a serving of peanut butter, a banana, a cup of whole milk and 2 scoops of weigh protein, that's over 600 calories there.. See? That's half your calories in just 2 meals.
    Another thing that should be addressed is your training style. First off, cut out all cardio! You need to train with weights! Lift heavy! Compound movements like barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell and dumbbell presses, military presses, weighted dips, weighted chins, etc. The weight used should allow you no more then 6-8 reps.. Try to stick with free weights, machines don't recruit as much muscle fibers, and machines don't activate stabilizer muscles like free weights do. Try to increase your poundages frequently.
    If you follow this it should allow you to make cleaner gains; of course genetic limitations are also a factor.

I don't think the "cleanliness" of the food dictates body composition. In other words, (assuming macro minimums have been met) eating too large of a surplus in "clean" calories will just as likely be stored as body fat as too large of a surplus in "dirty" calories.

Other than that little nitpick, seems like otherwise solid advice.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I don't think the "cleanliness" of the food dictates body composition. In other words, (assuming macro minimums have been met) eating too large of a surplus in "clean" calories will just as likely be stored as body fat as too large of a surplus in "dirty" calories.

Other than that little nitpick, seems like otherwise solid advice.
    That's probably true, but consider this, certain foods have a thermic effect on metabolism, like very lean proteins... Excess calories from carbohydrates can cause insulin spikes, not a good thing for lean body gains, very good thing for pure fat gains! Your metabolism works harder to digest proteins, thus using more energy(calories) for the digestion process to occur. This is not so with carbohydrates, again. This is why I preffer to increase lean protein, per the thought process" a calorie is just a calorie" not to me.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Look up the GOMAD diet...tweak to fit your life!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As a person who isn't sucking at putting food in my mouth, I can give you a few tips to help you suck less ;)

First, you really need to have a food stash on hand, like a drawer at your work desk where you keep some calorie-dense food, like different kinds of nuts and/or trail mix, tuna (well, it's not exactly calorie-dense, but it keeps well and if you choose tuna packed in olive oil, you can have good fat and protein at the same time), grilled chickpeas (no need to grill them by yourself, you can buy them in grocery stores, around the other indian products), organic dried fruits, packets of instant oatmeal, nut butters, etc. I would also keep some dark chocolate, and whole grain crackers, like ryevita, whole wheat pita chips or lentil crackers, that you can use with hummus, cream cheese and other dips. When you have all the food on hand, it's really easy to eat all the time without even thinking about doing it: you juste reach for something and then munch a little.

Second, if it's possible at your workplace, try to bring some groceries at the beginning of the week, like bananas, yogurt, hummus, cream cheese, labneh, any other dip that you may like, avocado and bread (to make quick avocado toast!), hard boiled egg (here in Canada we can buy them in sous-vide packs so I suppose that you have the same thing in United State), deli meats, cheese and things like that. You won't have to take a lot of time to make your snack and you will have a lot of good choice readily available. A nice avocado toast with two hard boiled eggs can give you around 400 calories, and if you had a handful of healthy nuts that you have in your drawer, you'll be good for a while.

(If you're not working at a place where you can have your personal stach, you may bring a cooler with you with all the food you need for the day. You can also do this if you are on the road.).

Now, to be sure to eat all that food, I suggest you to pair snacking with another thing that you do everyday, like everytime you go to the bathroom at work, you can take the time to make you a good snack in the kitchen, or everytime you refill your coffee mug, perhaps. You can also set alarms if you tend to really forget to eat. I tend to forget to eat my snacks in the week ends because I associate them with my work routine, so I guess that you can make those kind of association too.

Also, I found out that when I'm planning all my food intake in the morning (like, I already know what I'll be eating at 10 AM, 12 PM, 4 PM and 7 PM), I usually eat in a more regular way.