Am I Pushing Too Hard??

Options
Ok so I just went for a half mile walk and I literally pushed myself to the point of vomiting, I felt dizzy and it looked like everything was turning red. It's also 89℉ outside and I was walking as fast as my body would let me. Over doing it or not??

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Half mile shouldn't be too difficult for the average person. Maybe slow down a bit next time, as soon as you feel bad you should slow it down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    working out to the point of vomiting is stupid and completely unnecessary. That said, 1/2 mile walk really shouldn't do that...were you dehydrated or something? I guess slow it down and make sure you have plenty of fluids...maybe do you walks when it's cooler out rather than in the heat of the day.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If it's that hot outside, slow down, enjoy your walk and drink water. It does sound like you overdid it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Slow down and walk further. As you've just started building up your overall endurance. Your muscles and joints need to get used to the exercise. The last thing you want to do is cause an injury. Set yourself a time of how long you'll walk for them once you're happy with that extend the time. Also in that sort of heat be careful. Good luck
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't think the distance nor the speed played a part in your body reacting as it did. You could be dehydrated or maybe you haven't eaten (low blood sugar). I would take a protein bar with you and some water, and pace yourself. Listen to your body.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What they said. Try a mile at a more moderate pace, with a bottle of water in hand. :flowerforyou:
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fairly unfit and i can walk 4kms perfectly fine at a reasonable pace. Maybe you were walking too fast or walking up a steep hill?
  • ruthbuffkin
    Options
    I didn't drink any water before I went so I think I was dehydrated and I was definitely overheated. I usually do 1 mile twice a day, I just started this about 2 weeks ago so I'm still learning. Going from no exercise to walking a mile twice a day is tough. I just haven't learned my limits yet, I'm still exploring them. I'm trying to be patient with myself!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    89 outside and reddening, going to the point of causing you to puke sounds like a minor heat exhaustion or even sunstroke. Yes you pushed it too hard in the heat, make sure and drink a lot, maybe some juice or fruits, and next time you exercise in the heat take water with you to sip the entire time and make sure your skin is covered, that can end up being serious if you push too hard in the heat.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266551.php

Get your self checked out if necessary.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you get that sort of reaction from mild exercise the first thing that came to my mind is to wonder how much you are eating most days?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe bring a small spray bottle (in a light weight back pack) to spritz yourself, wear a hat and light clothing.
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink any water before I went so I think I was dehydrated and I was definitely overheated. I usually do 1 mile twice a day, I just started this about 2 weeks ago so I'm still learning. Going from no exercise to walking a mile twice a day is tough. I just haven't learned my limits yet, I'm still exploring them. I'm trying to be patient with myself!
    I'd say to drink water before, carry a water bottle with you as you walk . Especially when it's hot out. They also have those towels that you wet that are suppose to make you feel so many degrees cooler. I haven't tried them yet but to stay hydrated is a must. I learned that when I first moved to florida lack of water and excessive walking outdoors lead me to be dizzy, nauseated and I couldn't function for a few days. Do be careful out and take it slow to start. :D
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Can I ask your age weight and height? A normal healthy adult should be able to walk a couple miles even in heat no problem
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I am guessing dehydrated also!! Drink up dear ;)
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be exercising in the heat, you need to be hydrating yourself all day before hand. Heat stroke can kill you quicker than you think if you're pushing yourself beyond your usual limit.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Can I ask your age weight and height? A normal healthy adult should be able to walk a couple miles even in heat no problem

Many people who use this site are not at the "normal healthy adult" status yet. That is why they are here.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Many people who use this site are not at the "normal healthy adult" status yet. That is why they are here.

True but if we are to properly advise her then this information would be helpful and there is no harm in asking. I am also wondering how much she is eating. If she is overdoing her diet and eating only 1000 calories a day or something that could also explain becoming faint when doing even modest exercise.
  • ruthbuffkin
    Options

True but if we are to properly advise her then this information would be helpful and there is no harm in asking. I am also wondering how much she is eating. If she is overdoing her diet and eating only 1000 calories a day or something that could also explain becoming faint when doing even modest exercise.

If you are wanting to know something personal please message me I'd rather not mention my weight for the world to see. Thanks
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound like overdoing it. Be sure to mention it to your doctor at your next visit.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If your body is crashing over this little exercise you are either starved, dehydrated or have a medical condition.