Am I eating too much peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread on the scale first person as well and yeah, the natural, one ingredient stuff is just better in my opinion. Lost in this is your desire to reduce fat from your thigh area. You can't spot reduce from one area like you are alluding to...no matter how much peanut butter you do or don't eat.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n4g5d3Hc0F1rg58bpo1_500.jpg

This times ten.
    Seriously though, just log it accurately like you would any other food. Eat however much of whatever kind of peanut butter you want, just make room for it and log it accurately. Calories are calories.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?

Ask 5 people to take a tablespoon of peanut butter and you will get 5 very different measurements. Weight is the best uniform caloric indicator for solid foods.

Got it. Thanks :)
    Getting the peanut butter off your scale though is tricky. Unless you don't mind somebody seeing you licking the scale.

And for this reason i've never weighed it. And seem to have done alright.

The trick is to weigh the jar...zero out your scale and then remove a small amount at a time until you are negative the amount you want to eat...I weigh mine always!
  • Collier78
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?

Ask 5 people to take a tablespoon of peanut butter and you will get 5 very different measurements. Weight is the best uniform caloric indicator for solid foods.

Getting the peanut butter off your scale though is tricky. Unless you don't mind somebody seeing you licking the scale.

just use an actual tablespoon meauring utensil not a spoon. and flatten the top. five people may not do it the same but i can bet the same person does it the same five times. I always use measuring cups/spoons for things like peanut butter.

Umm, I just put my bread on the scale, set it to zero, and then put the PB on the bread till I get to the amount of grams I want. No spoon needed. I just use a knife. :)

Or put the jar on the scale and scoop out till you have the right amount on your spoon.

You beat me to it!! Genius right here^^^
  • Collier78
    Options
    I eat all the peanut butter. ..

and the chocolate peanut butter...and the honey peanut butter...and the smores flavored whipped peanut butter...

Loki-oh-yes.gif
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH PEANUT BUTTER
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much peanut butter.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Alot of sugar in your eating.

And what's wrong with sugar?? Nevermind I didn't ask that not up for the sugar is evil debate today...

OP weigh the PB, eat the PB and enjoy the delicious PB and log it! No such thing as too much peanut butter!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Place spoon (or slice of bread) on scale. Tare. Scoop peanut butter in spoon (or dollop it on bread) until you have the grams you want. Easy peasy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Alot of sugar in your eating.

Someone always has to toss an anti-sugar bomb into any thread that mentions food. :ohwell:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Short answer: No such thing as too much peanut butter.

Longer answer: weigh it accurately and log it to make sure you're not going over your calories for the day. Also, watch your sodium. I know that I gain water weight any time I go over my daily sodium by even 250 mg.

I love mixing peanut butter with nutella and then dipping strawberries in it. Yum.
  • AmyJ421
    AmyJ421 Posts: 4
    Options
    And I was just sitting here wondering what I should have for lunch. PBJ sounds good today. :wink:
  • prawny1967
    prawny1967 Posts: 17
    Options
    I haven't eaten PB for years as my husband hates the smell of the stuff. I'm having a PB craving now and he is away for a few days so guess what I'm buying tomorrow?:tongue:
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    is there such a thing as too much peanut butter? :noway:

as long as it fits your calories and macros, eat as much as you want
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too and try to limit it to 1 tbls a day, usually in the morning on toast or in my smoothie.

The recommended daily serving of nuts is 1/4 cup, which translated to peanut butter would be 4 tbls, so it sounds like you're hitting the mark. :)

There are some camps that believe we shouldn't eat peanuts or peanut butter at all because they contain aflatoxins which are carcinogenic. However, I believe in everything in moderation! :)
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter almost every day. Just weigh it and fit it into your daily calorie allotment.
  • Kejeco1970
    Kejeco1970 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try PB2 powdered peanut butter. Mix it with water, 2 TBS is 45 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. It's delicious!
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    This! Going by tablespoons is really inaccurate. When I started weighing peanut butter I found out my measured two tablespoons was really 4! And with something as calorie dense as peanut butter that's an extra couple hundred calories. For most things I find weighing is much more accurate than measuring anyways. It's always easy to squeeze a little more into a cup but the scale is dead on.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I can easily cram a tablespoon and a half of almond butter into a single dip of a teaspoon. Weighing is mandatory.
    ETA: Unless you're BonecrusherBrews, who just needs to freaking eat something once in a while. :bigsmile:
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As long as you are accurately measuring and your calories in are less than what is needed to lose then you should be fine. I eat peanut butter in my oatmeal in the morning or on a piece of fiber toast. I put in my chocolate protein shakes and use almond milk to cut calories in other areas. I have lost 30 lbs in just under a month and I use peanut butter daily in my diet. Best of luck to you.