People you are close to giving you a hard time about diet

Options
What do you guys do when people you are close to, such as family, make fun of what you eat? I mean, I know they are just picking on me because I do watch everything I eat, but it kinda digs into me and I get defensive about it. Because I do what I do for me, and I don't say a word, NOT ONE WORD, about what they are eating or how much they are eating. But they always make a comment such as, "She doesn't like it because of the calories." or "Such and such is in it, so you are probably not going to eat that." Or when I ask my mom to make me a 4oz hb steak even though everyone else is eating an 8oz hamburger steak, "You eat like a bird, do you actually want to put some food on your plate?" Or when people are telling me what's in a dish they made they'll say, "And I know all you're thinking about are the calories in it, but one day when you're older, you won't care as much about that"…like this is just a fad for me, instead of a lifestyle change

Like, yes, I do strategically watch what I eat, and I do run a lot of miles and go to the gym daily, but I enjoy it and love what I do. And yes I will admit, I am obsessive over my calorie intake and what I eat, but I want to be because I have goals to reach. I don't push anything that I do on anyone else, so whyyyyyy do people make comments to me?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Like, yes, I do strategically watch what I eat, and I do run a lot of miles and go to the gym daily, but I enjoy it and love what I do. And yes I will admit, I am obsessive over my calorie intake and what I eat, but I want to be because I have goals to reach. I don't push anything that I do on anyone else, so whyyyyyy do people make comments to me?

Why not just say that back to them? You're letting them know why you're doing what you and that it bothers you when they speak to you the way you do when you don't nit-pick them about what they eat.

They do it for several reasons. People who are dedicated and committed to reaching their goals have to do what others won't so they can get what other's don't. You're going against the grain and to them that's strange. For some of them you may be inadvertently pointing out their own insecurities. This is what happens to me a LOT! My mother is always looking at what I eat, asking what I will be eating and then defends her own choices. But it's not about ME, it's about HER. She's been overweight MY whole life and I learned dieting from her. I had a seemingly good friend just step out of my life once she became envious of it. It had nothing to do with me, I bent over backwards for her, it had everything to do with HER.

You keep doing what you're doing. Ten years down the road when you're STILL doing what you're doing your family and those who say these things to you will either have gotten MORE unhealthy or else they'll have been so inspired by you that they've achieved THEIR health goals!

Feel free to friend me and YOU ROCK!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Tell them just how you feel! My step father ALWAYS makes fun of me, cause I do not eat pork or cause I sometimes shop at whole foods. I don't care what he says. If I choose not to eat it, then that is my personal preference and he should not worry about it.

Look family or friends, it doesn't matter. You need to tell them that if they cannot not support your choices then they need to not say anything at all. If that is what you like or how you are, then they should support your choices. Honestly to me it is negativity and who wants to be around that.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when people you are close to, such as family, make fun of what you eat? I mean, I know they are just picking on me because I do watch everything I eat, but it kinda digs into me and I get defensive about it. Because I do what I do for me, and I don't say a word, NOT ONE WORD, about what they are eating or how much they are eating. But they always make a comment such as, "She doesn't like it because of the calories." or "Such and such is in it, so you are probably not going to eat that." Or when I ask my mom to make me a 4oz hb steak even though everyone else is eating an 8oz hamburger steak, "You eat like a bird, do you actually want to put some food on your plate?" Or when people are telling me what's in a dish they made they'll say, "And I know all you're thinking about are the calories in it, but one day when you're older, you won't care as much about that"…like this is just a fad for me, instead of a lifestyle change

You may be too nice or diplomatic but i get this all the time and i always reply with " When i want to look like you i will eat like you" it shuts them up pretty quick, if someone wants go down the route of judging me i can play that game pretty well
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it.
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One of my flatmates constantly makes comments about how much and how often I eat, despite the fact I know the precise nutritional and calorific details of each meal, and rarely exceed a net intake above 1900cal.
    However when she eats it's all frozen, greasy rubbish like potato waffles, chicken kievs and chips. Used to bother me, but then I see the difference in my physique compared to hers and know that despite what is said to me, I know exactly what and why I'm eating the way I do.

Ignore it and embrace your lifestyle choice!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it is. I can't really say anything to my grandmother. She's always making fun of me for how much I eat. I eat a lot, okay, but I know that. It's what I do. I don't need my grandma saying "Have yourself some meat, Casey." But what are you going to say to an 82-year-old woman?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    "The cost-benefit ratio of the food you are holding in front of me just does not look favorable to me."

I say something like that, and people just generally look dumb at me because they have no idea what it means.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There are very few people who I actually listen to on the subject of fitness. Develop a handful of polite brush-offs and move on with your life.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    See... I like to torment my manfriend ruthlessly by eating pizza in bed next to him even though he refuses to partake. I also like to let him know how I feel about cottage cheese consumption with graphic displays of disgust, like so....

d63siGg.gif

But then he replies much like this because he's all hangry and what-not....

tumblr_me3u9fK5wZ1ri41obo1_50012.gif

It really works out lovely.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    To me you look beautiful....Keep doing what you love!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    See... I like to torment my manfriend ruthlessly by eating pizza in bed next to him even though he refuses to partake. I also like to let him know how I feel about cottage cheese consumption with graphic displays of disgust, like so....

d63siGg.gif

It's on...
    giphy.gif
  • odusgolp
    Options

d63siGg.gif

It's on...
    giphy.gif

I-Will-Find-You-And-I-Will-Kill-You-Liam-Neeson-In-Taken.gif
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

d63siGg.gif

It's on...
    giphy.gif

I-Will-Find-You-And-I-Will-Kill-You-Liam-Neeson-In-Taken.gif
    0bd68d5a545328ece8df8e3fb56090888fb76f2af3e7c0733f02871f00e7ea85.jpg
  • odusgolp
    Options
    tumblr_m0u4xvxa771qg3q94o1_r2_500.gif
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the posts! :) It definitely gets discouraging, and yeah my grandma makes comments to me as well, and I can't really say anything back, but it just eats under my skin when people make comments and then when I say something back they're like, "we just do it because we know it pisses you off." WELL THAT'S A REASON TO KEEP DOING IT THANKS
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That is emotional immaturity. Just state "you seem to be really invested in what I eat." And let the silence hang.

Or, is somebody makes an assumption about what you are thinking, ask them "does that bother you?" If they get defensive, question why they would make assumptions about what you think or feel.

If your coworker who is listing the ingredients asks if you are thinking about calories, say "I was thinking that it sounds delicious"

Put the burden of their behavior back on them.

Eta - your parents are invested in you, so acknowledge that "grandma, you taught me to go after what I want". "Mom, everything looks so delicious that I want to make sure I have room to try everything."
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when people you are close to, such as family, make fun of what you eat?

I put on my big girl pants and tell them that I don't appreciate the comments. If it continues despite your concerted efforts to be mature about it, tell them to go screw themselves.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly confused every time this subject comes up.

I don't understand how this is allowed to continue on endlessly in a person's life.

There are two ways- either sacrastic- or incredibly direct/blunt and rude or a combination of those things.

"I'm sorry- I didn't know my gastrointensitanl system was so important to you- I'll have a full write up on my *kitten* that I plan to be taking at 3 PM this afternoon- I'll have it on your desk by 8 AM tomorrow morning"

"When I want to look like you- I'll keep eating like you"

OR

"I'm sorry- what buisness is it to you what food I put in my mouth again?"

"I'm sorry- (not sorry) how is this important to you?"

" Good to know you're life is so damn dull you have nothing to do but annoy me about my life. You'll be glad to know you- you rate so low on my G.A.F meter that I don't think of you at all - except maybe when I'm enjoying my dead lifts- or hiking or mountain climbing- and having such a great time that I feel really bad for you because you are trapped at home with your boring life"

" what is the point of these comments again? you can explain to me? did you get a degree in nutrician? become a doctor? or just read the latest garbage that the Huffington Post threw out yesterday?"

"remind me again how much your dead lift is"

" remind me again what you named your quads??? because mine are Thor and Hercules- they can squat you're body"

Can't stand such rubbish- stand up for yourself- who CARES WHAT YOU EAT.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Crap. Not only do I now need to name my quads, Thor and Hercules are taken.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'd leave my husband, divorce my family and get new friends.
    I have awesome support. Husband and family, both. And friends!