WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee:drinker: Sounds like you are making progress on your home.

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Michele hope things are getting better with your son.:flowerforyou:

Katla prayers for you and your DD. We have a niece and a nephew and SIL who live in Chicago. I can understand why you SIL wants to join a union in Chicago because of the pay. I believe it is hard to get in unless you know someone. It is very expensive to live in Chicago. Having a car in the city is like having a car in New York City. To go to Lincoln Park Zoo is free. It only costs $40 to park your car for the day! It sounds like they need to do more research before they make such a dramatic move.

Cythnia hope your day improves.:flowerforyou:

Bonnie thanks for the wildflower pictures.

Renny great pictures

Meg prayers :flowerforyou: .

Kim I enjoyed learning about the Monuments Men more than I liked the movie. I went to see it at a theater that charges $2. They show movies that have been out for a long time and sometimes are already out on DVD. The English character was actually based on a man who was from Minnesota.

Today I plan to finish cleaning out the leaves and branches from our yard. This will make the seventh load of leaves I take to the compost pile. I can fit in 12 bags of leaves at a time. I need to make a separate trip to take in our branches. We enjoy the trees. They are messy.

Today I will finish cleaning up our yard, so I wake to a healthier garden.

2014 word: contentment
  • sallychildress
    sallychildress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Just found this thread. Nice to find a group with a common goal and some other things in common to be on this journey with.

Sally :bigsmile:
    Knoxville TN
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Checking in to wish everyone a good day and successful week.

Did my T25 and a little walking on the treadmill. This virus is still hanging on in my lungs so I pretty much did what I "had" to and am hoping for more energy tomorrow. Heath will, I'm going to do my T25 and attempt to go back to my morning Zumba class. Not sure why I can't get myself to go back around "my people" since my mom's passing.

Already feeling very emotional this week. Vented some of that emotion on my boy this morning so Meg you can pass the "mother of the year" cup over my way. Felt like garbage driving away from his school after I felt like I broke him down and sent him off to "have a good day":frown:

Got a couple of orders packed up and ready to ship. Working some some "proposals" and getting some of my listings back into my shop.

Check with ya'll later.

xo- Gloria in cool, dreary Metro Detroit (after a surprisingly sunny morning)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Tere – sounds like a great weekend. And what a lucky break, car repairs are so often higher than expected!!! :wink:

Deb – hang in there!

Cynthia – I know your vet appointment is tomorrow – maybe they would take you today if you call? I am thinking of you, Charlie, and DH – hope all gets better. :flowerforyou:

Heather – hmmmm maybe I should rethink space, a small rug area I do have… thanks!

Patty – yeah!! 2lbs gone, released yeah!!:smile::smile:

Pat from PA – Welcome – you just joined. We are a chatty supportive group – and you can lose weight without exercising if you have too.. just log Everything - some where I heard Weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens at the gym. :smile:

Tere – LOL

Sylvia – congrats!!!! How exciting – I checked out the link – beautiful pieces!

Katla – Sorry to hear about DD and DSIL’ s thoughts of moving… it’s so hard to have friends and family far way:cry:

Pamala – Welcome! You must have been living in The Netherlands for a long time to be so fluent in both languages!

Sally – welcome

so today could be interesting - I was more than just stiff yesterday - woke up in the night unable to move except with sever pain... did sleep pretty well all things considered - getting up was an adventure - would have made a great funny video if it had not hurt so bad. The longer I am up and moving the better things are getting. I made a Chiropractor appt. for 10am, he is fabulous! so hopefully he'll get me back up and moving..it is my lower back, I have done this before --but it has been years. Spoiled Levi (my dog) needed his morning walk, so slowly carefully we went around the block. Leaning down to clean up his business was creative! I am the funniest home video!

Kim in N. Cal.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon!!
    Welcome newbies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Finally feel human again!!:drinker: :drinker:
    Thanks for all the love and well wishes.
    Pelvic ultrasound day-yuck(at least Ill get my water in)
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Jane - best of luck with the ultrasound. I hate those things.

Cindy - My sister's area near Wichita hit 101 yesterday. Good grief!

Today hubby and I took the little guy to lunch before preschool and we were sitting there eating and grandson announces "Grandma, I know how old you are. You are EIGHTY SEVEN." Hubby burst out laughing. It was really cute.

My son is feeling crummy today so I'm shuttling kids. Gotta pick them all up at 3:00 at two different schools. That's always fun. Tonight is girl scouts for the youngest granddaughter. Tomorrow night is girl scouts for the older one. It's always a logistical challenge.

Gotta get busy preparing my drafting bill for April so I can get paid. Later ladies!

Sylvia
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ladies!

My morning walk is so peaceful! Storm and I don’t want the SO with us. When he is with us it becomes a forced march/run.:grumble: Sometimes I can hear a Marine cadence in my head. I want him to go fix things at the gym – I’m missing the elliptical!:huh: I love him dearly, but this walk is one of the few things I don’t want to share. Besides, although I wouldn’t tell him, his body has major muscle mass, which accounts for his weight – he is still climbing trees with spikes and a rope harness carrying a chain saw. I have to search for a little bit of flab to pinch on him. He has a 18-1/2 inch neck and needs a size 44 suit to fit his chest and arms and a 38 waist:laugh: .

A major part of my weight loss program has been because of him and he has always been supportive of my efforts. My turning point was when we first went to sign-up at the gym. I was sitting in the office filling out the paperwork with this young 20 something year old blonde in a little tight workout outfit. So I said “How much would the payments be if I used our AARP membership?” She said “Well you can use the AARP discount but he can’t!”:noway: I said “He’s nine years older than me!” She said “Ohhh, I couldn’t see his face clearly!” I wanted to punch her! :mad: :laugh:

Tere
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - just looked at the pottery site. Looks fabulous and such a great idea to tour the seven sites. I am a pottery freak, my dad was an amateur potter and taught it at school, and the ceramics museum is always my first port of call wherever we go. I hope your trip comes off as planned - it sounds as if you have a lot on your PLATE!:laugh:

Heather, with an easier shoulder, in Hampshire UK
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    I had a really awful weekend. Got up Saturday and was in so much pain, it took my breath away and was affecting my bowels. I was going to go to the ER, but changed my mind and went to my Chiropractor's office but she was closed and I didn't have her cell phone. So, I went home, took a muscle relaxer, tylenol, and something the Chiro gave me called Pro-enz then slept all day. While this was going on, the guy was there with my DH changing out the boiler. He had only to change out the thermostat and was to come back Sunday, but never did. So glad the weather warmed up a little!

Sunday I felt a little better so only took tylenol and Pro-enz. I don't like taking the muscle relaxers as they put me to sleep. Walked very carefully very little (only about 4,000 steps Sunday) and rested my back.

This morning, a little less sore but still had problems tying my shoe laces up. Went to chiropractor who put a natural herbal pain patch on, gave me a couple extras, and told me to come back Friday. She also gave me her cell phone and told me no Curves this week. So I am not happy about the lack of exercise. I did walk for 30 minutes at lunch, but that seems to have aggrevated my back again.

I really hate arthritis!

Meg, hang in there. I have a son who is quite the problem child, a daughter who is always having 'man' trouble, and a daughter who is doing great. One mom, 3 very different children! You can only do your best. The choices a child makes, they must deal with the circumstances.

Hugs and prayers to all who need them. Congrats on all the NSVs. And welcome to all the newbees!

Rita from CT
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have to share a Violet story with you.She got some birthday money and goes-I`m gonna buy grandma an ice cream cone at Mcd`s.
    is she not precious?Off to ultrasound,drank my 32 oz of water
    hugs
    jane
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Gloria ... every mother has "vented" on her child/children at some point. Hugs and apologies are in order this afternoon, but I'm certain your little guy will be forgiving.

Sylvia ... have a wonderful weekend!! I checked the site too ... very interesting!!

Tere ... I would have smacked that little blonde at the gym ....

Rita and Kim ... hope your backs feel better soon.

Katla ... I've added your daughter and son-in-law to my prayer list ... distance on family is so very difficult ... I know.

Beth in WNY
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    tere - I would have been mad at the 20 something at the gym
    Rita - good luck with your back!
    Jane - Love the violet story

and I love the Grandma is 87 story!!! - just can't remember who posted it.

I just stopped in to say my back is so much better - tender of course, but he got me back in align and I feel 100% better!

kim in n.cal
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick stop---I'm running on empty after the weekend. Cloudy, a bit of rain and I could sleep............

Had a mammogram early this am; same tech I've had for years........maybe I'm (probably) reading too much into it, or maybe she was just having a bad morning but.........something seemed "off".........not what I want to think about, but now I can't get it out of my mind.

Took Gwen to dr. appt. then we had a lunch with the exercise group---buffet---I just counted 600 cals, a guess. Would have skipped it if not for her. But everyone was thrilled to see her since they have not since Oct.!

Tere..............Arrrghhhhhh for that 20-something. I have always said that when women reach 50's; they get invisible. When my dd was little and the subject of mom's ages came up, I always told her I was 67.............stopped them in their tracks!

Katla..........Here's hoping they don't move...........but, if they do----How about train travel??????? Sleeper cars are pretty nice and Chicago is a major hub for Amtrack. I went cross country once by train and loved it!!!

jane...........Violet certainly has a kind heart!

Rita and Kim ...............Yay, for less pain!

Sylvia............WTG on getting the DH to take you on a trip!! Have a blast!

Meg..........Thinking of you and hope things are better with DD and the school was responsive to your concerns for her safety. ((Hugs)))!!!!!!

I know I wanted to write more but I'm too tired to follow through................

Very sleepy,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Sylvia you are coming to my neck of the woods. I looked up the pottery tour you are coming for. I never knew they had something like this. It doesn't surprise me it is in the St. Croix Valley area. Hopefully you will have the kind of weather we are having today. If you need any help please let me know.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    OH dear Oh dear.
    I have to get my tushy in gear.. I havent been on the scale in a week. and I am constantly starving when I get home from work, then I pig out...:grumble: :explode:
    I am tired in the morning, so I havent been going to the gym, my pants are a bit tighter and ,I was doing sooo well..
    I havent adjusted my ticker which I should..
    please put me in your prayers,I have to have someone just come and slap me upside the head I think....:sad:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    My oncologist recommended I take tamoxifen. Already gained 4 pounds. Yuk. Is it worth it? Can't eat much less. Am hoping it is just the getting used to it part and I can lose weight again. Been on it one month.

Might be able to blame part of the 4 pounds on my extended 60th birthday celebrations!!! Let's hope. Hot flashes are bad too but hopefully it will dissipate also once my body is used to it.

My DH surprised me with a party with neighbours and friends and family on Saturday. At one point there was 62 people here. Don't know how he pulled it off. My son and wife came from Toronto with their new baby - 1 month old. Also my daughter, hubby and 2 grand daughters. It was a great day. I am still surprised!!!

So all the food and wine could be the blame for part of the bloated feeling and weight gain.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good evening all!

Meg- Hang in there. As a teacher I see all kinds of poor choices made by very good kid with excellent parents. Most learn from them and turn out to be great adults! I have often wished that I could turn back time and get a "do-over" with how I handled different situations with my children. I have decided that I did the best I could and they know that I love them, so I have let it go. This weekend I was asked by my son if I would accept pit-bull puppies as my grandchildren. I told him I would take any kind I could get. My youngest DD told me she was glad to hear that as she is not planning on having any children and loves animals.

Yanniejannie- Hope you get good news quickly about your test.

Sylvia- The pottery tour sound like fun. Glad you are finally getting to go.

Katla- Two of my children are just far enough away to make it difficult to see them very often, so I understand your concerns. Hope it all works out well.

Smwert- Hope your body adjusts to the medication quickly. Party sound like it was great fun.

Allison- I have been right there with you. Maybe I should drive up there. We could each give the other the kick in the pants we need! I did walk today for an hour and went for a long walk with my sister on Saturday. Felt really good.

Lin C- Glad you are feeling so much better and that Wi is smiling for you!

Kim- Glad you are feeling better!

Jane- Glad you are feeling better also. Hope you get good results on your test.

Need to get back to school work. I will be out of the building for four days starting Thursday so need to plan ahead. We are driving to Duke for my daughter's graduation. She has worked so hard. At the age of 13 she told me she would one day be a doctor, but would never cut open anything dead or alive to get there. She has taught cadaver labs for a few yeas now, but has stuck to the plan to be addressed as doctor (in anthropology). I am very proud of her dedication and intelligence. When we get back, I have to miss two days to grade state tests.

Have a relaxing evening!!

Deb A in sunny CNY
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello. I went down to my folks' house for a few days and forgot the cord to my computer. Urgh. The computer won't work with a battery (time for a new computer) and I couldn't remember my MFP password or the gmail account I'd set up especially for MFP.

I did pretty well with what I ate anyway but missed being able to log in and record my choices. I avoided eating any of the candy or other goodies at my mom and dad's house. That's a victory for me.

I don't have time to catch up with all the posts (this is a prolific bunch!) but did see several replies to Meg about kids. I'm another one who can vouch for the amazing changes you can see in your kids. I know it's not a hundred percent, but most turn back to their parents and old lives after they stretch their wings. Even if it's really bad now, a few years (which can be hard ones) can make a huge difference.

One of my daughters was tough during her teen years. She went to live with my sister and sister's husband for her senior year in high school. That gave us both a nice break. It took a few more years for her to find her groove but she is one of my mainstays now. I count on her and love her - and I think it's mutual. So, there is hope. In fact, one of my sister's kids was heavily into meth but turned her life completely around. She's a wonderful mom, wife (and daughter), just a few years later.

Hang in there. Your love and support make a difference, even if you can't see it at the moment.

Mimi SVQ (Sister Veggie Queen - a good moniker to live up to)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi all hope you all had a great day. Mine was pretty good. Not much exercise for say but moved some. Have to wait for cardiologist to call. I want to ask if I can do more. Or just do what I'm doing until after angio plasti.

Alison
    Wish I could just hop a plane and go and see you. And no I wouldn't slap you on side of head. Just that I'm sure your weather is nicer than mine. Pretty crappy here high of 6 today. Oh well suppose to be nice come wed. You will get back with it. Just winter was to long.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening my friends. What a beautiful day we had here. It is still in the 80's. We went to the grocery store after supper. Since we eat out every evening our grocery trips are pretty short, we go at least once a week. As soon as I open up a bag of carrots or my carton of yogurt I like to make sure I get a replacement in the fridge. So I like to use the self check out but my husband gets to fast on it and make sit even longer. Tonight he wasn't putting the bag down on the surface and it didn't sense that an item was being placed in it. Finally I told him to just go sit down. I do this trip numerous times and have no problems. I looked for flaxseed and couldn't find any. I did get a different cereal from Kashi that had flaxseed in it.

I have this bad habit of lurking on my ex son in law's face book page. He never could settle down when he was married to my daughter. He was always in trouble with the law, had difficulty holding a job and with those problems my daughter didn't feel comfortable in having children. Plus he was in the National Guard which paid well and had signed up for his second tour without talking to her about it. My husband says that because Michelle didn't want to have children was the main reason the divorced. I think he is putting his own viewpoints on it because having children was so important to him. So I was lurking his face book and he is graduating from college with a double major this weekend and then will start graduate school. Being in the foster system for the years he was, he really wanted to give back to he is in social work. His wife is a stay at home Mom. I just wonder how in the world he can have changed so much that he has a good enough job that his wife doesn't have to work. Why couldn't he have been that person when he was married to MY daughter, she is a wonderful person. After all she was able to fix my computer!!!! I loved him so much as a son in law and it was quite a loss to me when they divorced. I felt like I had been divorced also but couldn't talk about it at all since she was hurt so much she didn't even want to talk about him.

OK, that is my whine for tonight, Joyce, Indiana