Best Calorie burn exercise?

Options
Hi there. I'm SO getting sick of the treadmill and walking. I got a membership to "Curves" however I won't be going there until tommorow. Can anyone tell me what's the best calorie burn I can get today? I have wii fit but never used it because my dog likes to jump on me and bark everytime I've tried using that or and one of my DVD's I have for that matter. I have a range of "Biggest Loser" DVD's and I'm having my husband take the dog out of the room while I attempt to do an exercise today :) I would LOVE to burn a 1,000 calories today. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories is very ambitious. I haven't done them but I would think workouts like Power 90X and Insantiy burn a lot. I shoot for burning between 350-400 calories with exercise every day. I do Turbo Fire most days.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Is Turbo Fire an exercise video?
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    The elliptical machine seems to burn the most for me. Of course, weight training burns the most and has the best overall effect. 2 hours of these two combined would burn between 1000-1300 calories for me but it depends on your weight and how aggressive you workout. I am pretty hardcore when I lift and keep the trainer at around 70-90rpms.
    Good luck!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on many different things including your general fitness and the part of the world in which you live, but I would suggest a long, low-intensity walk/run around the neighborhood. If you could walk for 90 minutes or so at a brisk pace that doesn't get you winded, I think you could be in the 1000 ballpark. Also, since this is lower intensity, this would likely burn more calories from fat than something more intense.

Lots of options. I would get outside if you can. It might be fun to see if you can wear out your jumpy dog, too.

---Carter
  • Natalie0506
    Options
    Cardio kickboxing burns a lot of calories. In 45 minutes I burn around 700 calories.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The most calories I have ever burned in one workout came from a Turbo Kick workout which is the advanced gym version of Chalene's Turbo Jam DVDs. Wearing my heart rate monitor it came out to 800 calories in 54 minutes, and I was too pooped too poop afterwards, lol.

If your gym doesn't offer Turbo Kick, cardio kickboxing is similar. It doesn't have the high intensity "turbo" interval in the middle, but that can still burn a lot of calories as long as you keep moving and try to push your intensity up.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Burning 1000 calories is a lot, and means you'll be eating a TON of food. I usually aim for 400-600 cals. I'd put your dog either outside or in another room and some Wii Fit.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Cardio kickboxing burns a lot of calories. In 45 minutes I burn around 700 calories.

LOL, we were typing at the same time.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Jumping rope, jumping jacks, mountain climbers will all give you a fast and high burn. Alternate for 2 minute intervals or workout to music and change when the song changes. If you have stairs put those in as well. 1,000 calories may be a bit high unless it's what you normally do. My HRM puts my burn at 600 calories when I do that workout for 45 min.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is insane. I barely hit 400 when running a 5K.
    An hour long video for me is just over 300.
    I really think some people grossly overestimate their exercise.
  • hholman
    Options
    The best calorie burn, besides running, is the kettlebell workout. That is an entire core body workout, and you can get the kettlebells at Walmart. Here a link that explains it....definately worth trying out.
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/equipment/kettlebell-workout/
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I suppose it depends on many different things including your general fitness and the part of the world in which you live, but I would suggest a long, low-intensity walk/run around the neighborhood. If you could walk for 90 minutes or so at a brisk pace that doesn't get you winded, I think you could be in the 1000 ballpark. Also, since this is lower intensity, this would likely burn more calories from fat than something more intense.

Lots of options. I would get outside if you can. It might be fun to see if you can wear out your jumpy dog, too.

---Carter

Sounds good and I normally take him for long walks, yet it's my husbands turn today and I need a break from the cold (it's 12 degrees here today). I should probley just get on that treadmill and quit whinning, lol
  • lizearle
    Options
    1000 cals? get yourself a heart monitor watch to give you proper feedback any gym machine will over estimate cal loss by up to a 3rd! For me 45 mins at a FAST pace on medium level hardness on stepper burns 700 cals by watch, 970 ish by machine. I think 1000 cals is pushing it, 700 a day over 5 days will ensure 1lb weitgh loss each week, then just cut down by 500 cals in your food and you have 2lb weitgh loss a week. Combine with weights to keep your metablosim and cal burn up.
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    1000 calories - yikes that would be pretty hard to accomplish. How many calories do you normally eat in a day?
  • SunLove8
    Options
    The best calorie burn, besides running, is the kettlebell workout. That is an entire core body workout, and you can get the kettlebells at Walmart. Here a link that explains it....definately worth trying out.
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/equipment/kettlebell-workout/

Wow, thank you. I've never heard of a Kettlebell workout, I'll check it out!
  • JackieKayo
    Options
    Jumping Rope...Great Cardio
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    Zumba! You can easily burn 400-500 calories in 45 minutes with Zumba. I have the Zumba game for the XBox Kinect and it's awesome AND I don't have to pay $5 per class for it. I hear they have one for the Wii, so that's an option if you can get your dog to go away for a bit :P
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I've always wanted to do cardio kickboxing! Sounds like a great workout.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Is Turbo Fire an exercise video?

Yep...you can find it at Beachbody.com or there are several Beach Body coaches on here that can help you.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    1000 calories is insane. I barely hit 400 when running a 5K.
    An hour long video for me is just over 300.
    I really think some people grossly overestimate their exercise.

Heavier-set individuals burn more calories than thinner individuals; so, it's not that people grossly overestimate their calories burnt, it's just that everyone's body is different and some bodies burn a lot more calories than other. Seriously, I swear by Zumba! 489 calories in 45 minutes for me (179 lbs).