Low carbs diet !

Options
Hey guys,

I've been reading some interesting articles about low carbs diet. I know about the calorie in, calorie out is the base of all fat loss. But we forgot about our cute little hormone, insulin. Insulin is the hormone that distributes our carbs into our muscle, brain, and fat cell. So, if we cut out the carbs, the insulin that distributes the carbs will be slowed. It's all makes sense to me, if our main source of energy (carbs) is unpresent, then the body will take the fat from our body to replace it.

Here's one of the key to my success, it's a really great article on how to eat right.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/11/10/healthy-eating/
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Now, we got two options for low carbs diet, one is paleo the other is atkins. I personally follow the paleo, because most of it are low calories so i can eat more. You can try atkins too for the deliciousness, but always keep tract on your calorie so you don't get overbroad.

If your diet has worked, you should the way you have been doing. So that got going for you, which is nice :D . And i don't bash any other kind of diet, i'm just reccomend this diet for those who want to try it out.

That's all thank you

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    if our main source of energy (carbs) is unpresent, then the body will take the fat from our body to replace it.

Or our muscles...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Keep reading and researching. You'll learn that protein is ALSO insulinogenic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Another perspective on insulin, if you are interested.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-insulin-works/
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Worse thing i ever did to myself was low carb diets - its not how the world works and unless your diabetic you would never get a dietitian to recommend it. All just fab diets and crap to sell. If they didn't have new diets then there would be nothing to sell. Calorie deficit burns fat. Fat is more easily stored as fat than carbs are. Low fat, higher protein, normal carbs will get you there.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am not bashing or trying to be rude or anything but I'm so sick of hearing this no carb stuff.

I know several people who have been highly successful on no carb diets... until they came off of them and incorporate carbs back in. Jeez... don't you think that our higher power, whoever that may be for you, kinda sorta knew what he or she or it was doing when our biological systems were created? I mean really... everything serves a purpose in our bodies... even carbs. I have been successful on LOW carb for over a year, but not NO carb, that's just silly.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have never heard people who don't have an actual diagnosed medical condition worry about insulin before MFP.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets do not lead to muscle loss (dmenchac keeping that old myth alive...), but at the same time trying to manipulate your insulin levels is for many people unnecessary. If you've got a lot to lose, you're more likely to be insulin resistant, which could lead to better success on a low carb diet - but the trade-off is you've got to restrict your food choices (unsustainable for some people). The greatest advantage to a low carb diet in my opinion is just the appetite suppressing nature of such a diet. You still need to watch your calories of course but that tends to be pretty easy for a lot of people, simply because of the satiating nature of the diet.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    No carb diet is not practical, however low carb diet is pretty good. I do low carb and have no problem running multiple races or doing intense weight training sessions with out carbs. I usually keep my carbs to around 30gm net on most days. It works for me because I get to eat all the yummy food and not worry too much about calories as fats are satiating.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets do not lead to muscle loss (dmenchac keeping that old myth alive...), but at the same time trying to manipulate your insulin levels is for many people unnecessary. If you've got a lot to lose, you're more likely to be insulin resistant, which could lead to better success on a low carb diet - but the trade-off is you've got to restrict your food choices (unsustainable for some people). The greatest advantage to a low carb diet in my opinion is just the appetite suppressing nature of such a diet. You still need to watch your calories of course but that tends to be pretty easy for a lot of people, simply because of the satiating nature of the diet.

I hear people say this but I can honestly say I was never hungrier in my life than on Atkins.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    fat loss comes from your caloric deficit, it has nothing to do with carb intake, you will see no significant difference in fat loss between a ketogenic diet and mixed carb diet of the same deficit, this has been proven many times, the reason people do low carb diets for fat loss is for the stable blood sugar levels and many find fats and protein more satiating than carbs so it's easier to stick to
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I would never discourage a healthy adult from trying low carb because it worked very well for me for many pounds, and no, I haven't gained it back. I would however encourage anyone on a tight budget to check local food prices first. Meat ain't cheap.
  • fightdem
    fightdem Posts: 38
    Options
    Sorry everyone, i reccomend LOW carb not NO carb. I used the wrong word 'unpresent' while i mean it as fewer. And i forgor to input that in exchange of low carb, we add more protein or fat.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Diet composition has little impact on body mass:

http://i.imgur.com/fmbprDA.jpg

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20

Eating a diet high in protein can help with hunger feelings. It's generally harder, but very much not impossible, to eat a calorie surplus when you cut carbs out of your diet, because carbs are generally cheap and calorie-dense. However, it's quite possible to overeat on protein also.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

So if you are on a low carb diet and not getting enough protein while doing high intensity workouts, you won't lose muscle..?

I was actually being facetious, but since you bit...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you exercise at all, insulin spikes are actually good for you. Riding your bike? you need to transport glucose to your muscles asap. What does that? Insulin. Drink at least 30g of sugar per hour to keep it flowing.

Just finished a hardcore lifting routine? Need some extra protein to get your muscles to recover faster? Insulin will do that. Bam, down a bottle of sugar+protein.

If you're a couch potato that follows a strict workout routing of lifting the remote to surf the channels, then yeah, avoid sugar. If you actually do something with your life and body, you may want to reconsider how you treat it and feed it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets do not lead to muscle loss (dmenchac keeping that old myth alive...),
    Actually not totally correct. They can lead to muscle loss of your not talking in enough overall calories. The same way any other lack of calories means that you would lose muscle. Lack of calories and poor nutrition in whatever form will lead to muscle loss.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a confession: I FREAKING LOVE CARBS!

They are tasty, make me feel good, aid my low blood pressure... I eat them at every time of the day or week. One of my faves is rice pudding with cinnomon and sugar before bed. I have good whole bread almost every morning, Bananas are awesome.....

I´m here since 5 months and lost almost 20kg (over 40lbs) with a lot of carbs in my diet ;-)

So I wouldn´t take that low carb thing too serious... Just do what works for you. If you ignore cravings for too long they become quite demanding.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You opened the door for the low carb haters, there are very many on here just waiting to pounce on anyone who says a low carb diet is right for them or anyone else. Unfortunately this forum is not a good place to come for support. It's great if you enjoy being told you're wrong by people who have no idea what they're talking about. There are just too many uneducated people here spouting myths and misinformation as if they have degrees in kinesiology and nutrition. Some will even drop fancy sounding personal trainer titles they got after an online course they took in an attempt to make you feel like they are an authority and you are an idiot. Here's a link for you experts http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/. It outlines 23 peer reviewed scientific studies comparing low carb to low fat diets that were all published in scientific journals like the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, and The New England Journal Of Medicine. They're all linked to the original publication so feel free to read through all the actual studies on the subject and learn something. Maybe you will start giving informed opinions on the subject for once.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You opened the door for the low carb haters, there are very many on here just waiting to pounce on anyone who says a low carb diet is right for them or anyone else. Unfortunately this forum is not a good place to come for support. It's great if you enjoy being told you're wrong by people who have no idea what they're talking about. There are just too many uneducated people here spouting myths and misinformation as if they have degrees in kinesiology and nutrition. Some will even drop fancy sounding personal trainer titles they got after an online course they took in an attempt to make you feel like they are an authority and you are an idiot. Here's a link for you experts http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/. It outlines 23 peer reviewed scientific studies comparing low carb to low fat diets that were all published in scientific journals like the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, and The New England Journal Of Medicine. They're all linked to the original publication so feel free to read through all the actual studies on the subject and learn something. Maybe you will start giving informed opinions on the subject for once.

On that list of studies, please count how many measured bodyfat with DEXA, kept protein and calories constant and were metabolic ward studies. Thnx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am not bashing or trying to be rude or anything but I'm so sick of hearing this no carb stuff.

I know several people who have been highly successful on no carb diets... until they came off of them and incorporate carbs back in. Jeez... don't you think that our higher power, whoever that may be for you, kinda sorta knew what he or she or it was doing when our biological systems were created? I mean really... everything serves a purpose in our bodies... even carbs. I have been successful on LOW carb for over a year, but not NO carb, that's just silly.
    Who said no carb?