How do you lose 10 pounds in a month?

13»

Replies

• elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member

The facts:
    3,500 calories equals 1 pound.

The math:
    Let's say you want to lose 10 pounds in 30 days.
    If 3,500 calories equals 1 pound and you need to lose 10 pounds you multiply 3,500 by 10. (3,500 x 10 = 35,000)
    • You need to burn 35,000 calories in 30 days. How much is that a day? (35,000 ÷ 30 = 1,166)
    • You need a 1,166 calorie deficit a day to make your goal
    {Note: If you want to lose 15 pounds in 45 days or 22 pounds in 60 days, just replace the numbers.}

Now that you have that number, figure out how many calories you will be taking in for that 30 day period.
    Let's say you decided to take in 1,400 calories a day.
    The math here is add the deficit (1,166) to your daily calorie intake 1400: so, (1400 + 1166 = 2,566)
    • You need to burn 2,566 calories a day to make your goal.

The great news! People burn TONS of calories a day just by breathing, driving a car, etc.

I am keeping this!!!
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    In the month of April I lost 13 lbs. So you losing 10 is very do-able. Clean eating, portion control and working out daily helped me lose. You can do it! :)
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    The post showing the math of what you need to do is a very good place to start. I started with all this on Feb 22,2014 and I've lost 40lbs to date. (Averaging 4.3lbs lost per week).

I'm not doing anything super extreme, I just calculated how many calories I need to burn per day(that I don't eat back, to get to my 14,000 cal deficit for the week(every -3500 is one lb lost). I then calculated my daily cal usage, multiplied that by 7 to get my cals burned per week, and set my food and excercise goals to be as close to 14,000 less than that as possible.

If my calorie needs per day is 3,100 to maintain my weight as is, that's 27,000 per week. 14,000 less than that(the 4lbs I want to lose, is 7,700 I can eat per week to hit that goal. However 1100 cals per day isn't really enough food. I'm eating a goal of about 1,600 per day give or take 200. That's an extra 3,500cals(or conveniently 1lb per week I'm not losing) which I try to work off with execercise.

If you look through my diary I don't always hit 1600,sometimes I go over some times I'm under so it tends to balance out pretty well and this way, with such am aggressive goal, even if I break my budget I'm still losing weight without worrying.

I should say I'm not starving or depriving myself, eating food I like and avoiding really bad food decisions in a pain free way by realizing how terribly they screw up all my long planned out math.

Would i rather have 2 slices of pizza and make dinner impossible to include or would I rather have 200 grape(I don't even think I could eat 200 of em) and still have tons of calories left for dinner and a late snack?

That's been my experience anyway.

Take from it what's useful to you and discard the rest.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    You could try two days of juicing each week - on the days you do not exercise strenuously.
    Try veggie juices, berry smoothies, lemonade (with honey)
    Along with exercise and carb reduction/control you can lose a substantial amount in a month.
    But the juicing can be continued once a week.
    This really works

Don't do this, unless you fit it into your extra calories after you eat real food like meat and vegetables. Fruits are so high sugar and there are many more filling ways to get nutrients that will not cause you to binge "the day after."

You need to get into a healthy daily routine of eating, (ex: 2 eggs and a meat for breakfast, a salad or rice with meat/veggies for lunch, nuts and veggies for snacks, something relatively healthy for dinner) and then sustain it for the rest of your life =) Feel free to add me---I have no problem critiquing and giving feedback my MFP friends to help them find an eating pattern that personally works and is sustainable =)
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    100% mindset. It is possible to lose 10 lbs. per month. I have clients safely loosing 12 in that amount of time. You really have to focus on nutrition without having a cheat day. That is first and foremost. The exercise is still important because you need it three times per week. The mindset is equally important to both exercise and nutrition because if you do not have the right mindset, your goal will be more difficult to reach. You must have the belief that you CAN lose at least 10 lbs. per month.

80% Nutrition
    20% Exercise
    100% Mindset.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    I started @ 5'5" 180lbs...add me if you want! My diary is open to friends...I lost 10lbs this month but it's my first month doing this. I didn't really eat anything special...just stayed within my calorie limits and started exercising.

This. I lost 15 lbs, but again it was my first month and I started at 211. I am a "dirty" eater, so nothing special. I stuck to serving sizes on everything, tried to incorporate more fruits and veggies, and I drink half my body weight in ounces in water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!