My PT doesn't believe in heavy lifting for women

debants
debants Posts: 38 Member
working with my trainer this AM and reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I told her I was interested in getting into heavy lifting as I have seen some great results frm ladies on MFP. She feels that heavy lifting will not get me the longated/buffed muscles but rather bulky - which I proclaimed that its not possible for women. I think I should be pushing myself hard and not lifting 5lbs dumbells 15x over - I feel like I am just going through the motion. Ladies with success out there what are your thoughts? What has worked for you. My goal is to reduce body fat and basically a body recomp - not really concerend about the # on the scale!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What's the question here? There seems to be only one acceptable course of action
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Is she training you for free? If not, get a new trainer who is willing to earn their money and not fight with their clients.

Is this the equivalent of a massage therapist that insists on concentrating on your hamstrings when you said your problem areas were your shoulders?

How about the investment banker that wants to put all of your money into orange crops and not in oil futures like you wanted?

I could go on and on, but if whoever you are paying isnt working for you, then stop paying them and find someone else.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Your PT is a fool. Get a new one.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Hell, even if they're working for free, give them the boot. You have the right mindset, don't let someone talk you out of that.
  • debants
    debants Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah - I'm afraid of the answer - like the trainer but not sure I agree with her - however I am no expert!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Fire PT. Hire new PT who isn't clueless. Problem solved.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I find I get along better with male PTs...they don't seem nearly so scared of having women lift heavy. Just my experience though.

ETA: Also, agreed with everyone else. Either find a new trainer, or start watching YouTube and getting help on the forums to teach yourself how to lift.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Yeah - I'm afraid of the answer - like the trainer but not sure I agree with her - however I am no expert!

Clearly, neither is she.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    I would get a new trainer. Whether she thinks women should lift or not is irrelevant. If YOU want to lift, find a trainer that will help you work toward YOUR goals.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member

Neither is she, unfortunately - get one certified by ACE American Council on Exercise - who is keeping up with the latest info/workshops on heavy lifting for women, or if you see someone in your gym who looks like they have a good trainer (building the kind of body you want) ask them about their trainer. It doesn't have to be a woman, but he/she should be knowledgeable about how our different biomechanics affect a heavy lift.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    FIRE. YOUR. TRAINER. STAT.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Voting for new trainer!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I find I get along better with male PTs...they don't seem nearly so scared of having women lift heavy. Just my experience though.
    The last two male PTs I worked with would not even show me how to use free weights, despite my specifically asking them to (these were free sessions, so I just didn't hire them).

I am working with a woman now and she's fantastic. Sadly, I can't keep paying for her so I only have two sessions left. But in a matter of three months, thanks to her guidance, I am making strength gains and venturing on my own into territory I didn't understand that kind of scared me before.

Male or female, there are good and bad trainers. When you find one who knows less than you know, you need to find a different one.
  • rikracer61
    rikracer61 Posts: 208
    I'm with the others here, if you don't like the advise your traineris giving you, find one that has the same mindset as you. You are more likely to reach your goals if you trust your trainers methods( which you obviously do not right now)
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Get a new trainer. End of.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    The last two male PTs I worked with would not even show me how to use free weights, despite my specifically asking them to (these were free sessions, so I just didn't hire them).

I am working with a woman now and she's fantastic. Sadly, I can't keep paying for her so I only have two sessions left. But in a matter of three months, thanks to her guidance, I am making strength gains and venturing on my own into territory I didn't understand that kind of scared me before.

Male or female, there are good and bad trainers. When you find one who knows less than you know, you need to find a different one.

^^ That
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Well we're all in agreement, you need a new trainer (as you wont change her mind and even if she agrees to let you lift heavy, she might not do it properly as she doesn't "believe" in it).

I'd be surprised if someone pops in defending the trainer.

Since you're using a gym and trainer, you might want to check out http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ ... Even though I'm not one of them, there are lots of stronglift women around here with really great results (I'd love to do it but can't afford a gym or pt).
  • kolarmm
    kolarmm Posts: 2 Member
    GET A NEW PT! I am a female PT and I highly suggest heavy lifting for women! Women do not produce the hormones to "get big" like men do! Also the heavier you lift and the more muscle you gain, the higher your BMR will be. Just remember, muscle burns more calories than fat!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Get a new trainer.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Your trainer should be willing to work with your goals, regardless of what they are. If she can't do that, time to go shopping for a new trainer.