First day- need to lose over 100 pounds

Options
How on earth did I become more than 100 pounds overweight? Uggghh! It's a horrible feeling but I'm trying to get on the right path to a healthier life. I'm feeling overwhelmed though and am open to any and all advice.
On a second and more shallow note, I am going on vacation with some friends that haven't seen me in years in October, and I'd like to look better than them. Just kidding! I'd like to look better than I do now.

Replies

• nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey and october is 5 months away so your going to lose a chunk by then. You can do this x
  • HappyLilThang
    HappyLilThang Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dont let `skinny friends` make you feel like you are not as pretty as them! I`m sure you are gorgeous. Losing weight is very difficult and you should be proud that you are committing to this. Stay positive, one day at a time. and by october you`ll be surprised how far you`ve come. Good luck :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Biggest piece of advice: Start, and then don't stop.

I am convinced that the difference between those who succeed and those who don't is perseverance. The rest - how big a deficit, macro ratio, exercise routine - is really just details. Those details are important, because they can speed or slow your loss and may contribute to it being a more sustainable loss. But the most important thing is starting to make the change, and then continuing it.

Second piece of advice: Don't be miserable.

I never made any change I wasn't willing to live with forever. That meant I didn't subscribe to a fad diet, cut calories drastically, or exercise three hours a day. Instead I just started living like a healthy person instead of an obese one. That meant that usually I stuck to my plan, but sometimes I indulged. I usually did my workouts, but sometimes I missed one. I was only rarely hungry, almost never felt like I was on a diet, and generally my life and mood improved by leaps and bounds. The ones who starve themselves, who never enjoy a cookie, who never eat a "cheat" meal, are the ones who quit a couple months in, from my observation.

This method also means that when I switched to maintenance, almost nothing changed. I ate slightly more food, that's all. There was no diet to go off. I didn't have to jump from 1200 calories to maintenance because I never ate that little. It was seamless, and maybe that's why I've been able to maintain my loss since September 2012 fairly effortlessly.

Third piece of advice: Exercise.

Exercise changes your relationship with your body and food. It makes you happy. It makes you feel better about yourself. It makes it easier to stick to a healthy diet. It makes maintenance easier. It means you can eat more. Find something you enjoy, and do it.

more tips on my blog, along with pictures:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls
  • CindySportsMom3
    CindySportsMom3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey. Remember that it doesn't come off overnight and there will be many ups and down. Keep going and you will reach your goal. Good luck!!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to take charge of your health! Take one day at a time and log religiously. And remember -- a year from now you'll be glad you started today! :flowerforyou:
  • MuireannM
    MuireannM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. It can seem pretty daunting when you have a lot to lose but it is doable and don't beat yourself up if you slip up along the way, just get right back at it. I found that the hardest thing to do. I'd have a slip up and I'd be so hard on myself I'd go back to bad habits for days/weeks even months because I kept telling myself I'd ruined everything. Now I just draw a line under it and get straight back to my healthy habits and exercise, no beating myself up over it.
  • ivria
    ivria Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulate yourself for making the big step to start! Focus on high protein & low carb and you will lose faster than you think. For example rather than a breakfast burrito or pastry make some hard boiled eggs with a little fruit & nuts so it's still fast & easy, this is key. If you have a sweet tooth (like me) buy blueberries or pineapple for dessert so you can still treat yourself.

It may take your body time to start regulating its natural insulin levels so don't be discouraged if you lose a lot right away and then seem to plateau. I sit at my desk for most of my day so even if i don't have time to go to the gym I try to go for a walk around the block after dinner which makes me feel so much better than eating dinner and going straight to bed. It also speeds up your metabolism & helps your body digest. Calling on a friend or family to join will also help you keep your goals.

Best advice is don't beat yourself up if you crack & have an extra treat.. or two. Each day is new and you can pick back up where you left off tomorrow. Remember this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. You got this!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Eat clean. No soda. Drink water. Drink more water. Get moving. Weigh, measure, and log all food. Good luck. There are people on here that have lost 100s of pounds. You can do this.
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any good advice, even tho I've been on this journey a few months now, I'm still learning every day. One day a time, one pound at a time. I have a lot more than you to lose but try not to lose focus, starting with small goals works with a lot of people as well. Little changes also mean a lot, less cream in the coffee, water instead of pop etc. You can do it :) Best of luck!
  • hummingbrdhrt
    hummingbrdhrt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome, kismet!

There's lots of advice out there, but ultimately you will find something that works best for you. What's helping me is, as cliche' as it may sound these days, is looking at this as an entirely different way of living my life. I'm replacing processed foods with learning to cook fresh foods in new ways, breads with veggies, and time on my butt with time on my feet walking or riding my bike.

You and I have similar amounts of weight to lose. Congrats on taking the first step! I wish you all the motivation and fierceness you need to succeed! :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Those who are ready find a way, those who are not find excuses. Are you ready?

If so, here is some great info to get you started in the right direction:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

You CAN do this! Good luck.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost 107 pounds in about a year and a half. Eat less and exercise more. Don't give up. It's one bite, one step, one day at a time. Give yourself a pat on the back every time you find yourself out taking a walk and not sitting on the couch eating potato chips. This is the rest of your life.
  • TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have over 100lbs to lose too and it can definitely be overwhelming! Congratulations on starting your weight loss journey!

This is great advice right here!! Thank you for those encouraging words :)

I am convinced that the difference between those who succeed and those who don't is perseverance. The rest - how big a deficit, macro ratio, exercise routine - is really just details. Those details are important, because they can speed or slow your loss and may contribute to it being a more sustainable loss. But the most important thing is starting to make the change, and then continuing it.

I never made any change I wasn't willing to live with forever. That meant I didn't subscribe to a fad diet, cut calories drastically, or exercise three hours a day. Instead I just started living like a healthy person instead of an obese one. That meant that usually I stuck to my plan, but sometimes I indulged. I usually did my workouts, but sometimes I missed one. I was only rarely hungry, almost never felt like I was on a diet, and generally my life and mood improved by leaps and bounds. The ones who starve themselves, who never enjoy a cookie, who never eat a "cheat" meal, are the ones who quit a couple months in, from my observation.

This method also means that when I switched to maintenance, almost nothing changed. I ate slightly more food, that's all. There was no diet to go off. I didn't have to jump from 1200 calories to maintenance because I never ate that little. It was seamless, and maybe that's why I've been able to maintain my loss since September 2012 fairly effortlessly.

Exercise changes your relationship with your body and food. It makes you happy. It makes you feel better about yourself. It makes it easier to stick to a healthy diet. It makes maintenance easier. It means you can eat more. Find something you enjoy, and do it.

more tips on my blog, along with pictures:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge looser (yet) but am working on it too - I'd like to loose about 40 lbs. I good piece of advice I've heard is to make small goals along the way - that way you feel great and want to move on to the next goal. I am trying a 5 lb goal at a time. Going to give a big woo hoo after each 5 lbs.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    HI !
    basically what they all said already
    I'm about half way to my goal of 100lbs off
    the charts say I should weigh 100-125 lbs
    Im shooting for 140 for now

friend me if you like
    I have been at this since December 2nd
  • ktwin1
    ktwin1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I understand your dilemma completely. I found myself in the same situation a short time ago. Over the years just slowly packed on the weight. I had to make some tough decisions to make my weight loss happen. I am still on that journey.
    Losing that much by October is very doable goal. I know you will achieve it ! Making the decision you did to do MFP and put yourself out there is a major step in the right direction.
    I started using MFP which helps but also had to chose some sort of workout too. What are your plans with regards to that? and MFP?
    Kelly
  • Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest part! Good luck on your journey!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm there with ya!!

Getting started is the most important thing!!

Things that have helped me thus far:

1. When deciding what to do for a meal, pick your protein first, and have lots of it.
    2. Water, water, and more water.
    3. Did I say water?
    4. Fiber. I get this in with the help of Chocolite Protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com). You can usually get coupon codes for them on www.retailmenot.com, and enter "Carbolite" into the search box.

Exercise is always a good idea if you want to be healthy, but what you put in your body will ultimately make the bigger difference.

Good luck to you!!!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options

^^^She is one smart cookie (pun intended)! My experience is the same even though I only had about 25 pounds to lose, it seemed like 100 because I felt my lack of self-control would not make 25 lbs. possible. I unintentionally followed what Shannonmpls outlined above and sure enough I have been maintaining for almost a year. Add to that I started at 56 years old in a mostly sedentary job. You can do it and I look forward to seeing your success story on here in the future!
  • mrswestmoreland
    mrswestmoreland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for a long time. I am finally at the point where i had that light bulb moment. Since you're motivation is high at the beginning i would encourage you to take full advantage of it. Exercise (couch to 5K may a good place to start). Eat clean. Try to eliminate some of that processed stuff. A little here and there and the pounds will come off. Water, fiber, protein are your friends. I would really encourage you not to fall victim to a quick fix plan. At this point in your journey stay away from quick fixes. When you are at a point where you have your healthy eating habits and exercise down pack, then you can use something that maybe considered a quick fix, because learning the proper way is more important than big drops because thats what you are going to need to maintain your weight loss. And when i say quick fix i am referring to a healthier plan like dr oz 2 week rapid weight loss. Use something like that as a jumpstart if you hit a plateau or something.