People you are close to giving you a hard time about diet

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I routinely get treated like the human garbage disposal.

As far as comments go, I don't really surround myself with a bunch of pricks. If a weird comment is made, I give the benefit of the doubt that the person is trying to be funny and not malicious, and I don't get all warped about it. I notice either people don't care about your "food life," or simply respect it, so long as you aren't preachy about it and/or make it a focal point of your existence.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My husband used to give me a hard time because I would put my piece of chicken or steak or whatever on the scale and cut back until it fits what I can eat for that day. Now, he's used to it and he doesn't say anything and he's actually starting to ask me "how many ounces of this are you eating today?" and he'll do it for me. I just ignore it when people don't get it. If they want to eat crap and be unhealthy and fat that is their choice but this is my life. In one ear... out the other.

If someone said "when you get older you won't care so much" I would say... "gee I hope that's not true because I hope to be healthy my whole life".
  • chrisHarrington725
    chrisHarrington725 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them and keep going!

I just started (day 12) myself and suddenly people are offering me donuts :) maybe just to see me react?
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't win.

When I was big my family made fun of me and shamed me fore eating so much. Now I'm smaller they say I should just stop watching what I eat, stop over-thinking, eat what I want etc. I don't think they realise that for me, if I stop caring I will just pile it all back on again.

Only person I really listen to is friends that have the same attitude to health and fitness as I do and my partner because he actually knows what he's talking about.

Your family is identical to mine (and workplace too).
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestions of asking them a question in response to their comment. "Why do you ask?" or "Oh, why do you say that?" "Ask Amy" and Miss Manners are always telling people to respond that way to any type of rude comment, not just about weight or eating habits.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly confused every time this subject comes up.

I don't understand how this is allowed to continue on endlessly in a person's life.

There are two ways- either sacrastic- or incredibly direct/blunt and rude or a combination of those things.

OR

" what is the point of these comments again? you can explain to me? did you get a degree in nutrician? become a doctor? or just read the latest garbage that the Huffington Post threw out yesterday?"

I found this funny because my Mom really does have a degree in nutrition, so it wouldn't work terribly well with her.

No point either as I don't get harassed by family or friends. I had a few friends make some remarks in the very beginning, but other friends shut them up. I have friends that run the gamut from very overweight to very thin and we all hang together with no one hassling anyone else. My family is supportive too.

My co-workers on the other hand can be annoying, but I have no emotional investment there, so it's easiest to just ignore. If they get too bad I just stand and look at them until they stop. Most are more concerned with themselves or their own lives anyway, so easy to deflect with questions about how they or their family is doing.

If someone starts talking about you (your weight, health, etc) just ignore the comment and ask them questions about themselves.
    "Here try some of this. You're looking too skinny."
    "Sorry, no thanks. That's a nice blouse that you're wearing. Where did you get it?"
    and they are off describing the blouse. You come off as a nice person to all and any discussion about you or your weight is finished.
    You can ask about kids, spouse, their latest hobby, whatever. Works for me!
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You do what you do because that is what YOU want to do! Don't let what other people say or do have an adverse affect on your goals. In my opinion, misery loves company so because you have made a conscience choice to make changes regarding your health, everyone else just wants you to be in the same boat as them, don't fall for it and and don't worry about it, as long as what you're doiing is what you want to do...keep on doing it!
  • hsalahud
    hsalahud Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Like, yes, I do strategically watch what I eat, and I do run a lot of miles and go to the gym daily, but I enjoy it and love what I do. And yes I will admit, I am obsessive over my calorie intake and what I eat, but I want to be because I have goals to reach. I don't push anything that I do on anyone else, so whyyyyyy do people make comments to me?

Unfortunately everybody is a critic. Regardless of whether I am putting on weight or trying to cut down someone always has a problem with what I'm eating... Its just that people always think that they know better. You just have to get used to it. Sorry I can't really give you any good advice on the topic cause I'm still trying to figure out what to do... BUT it usually helps to just ignore whatever others are saying. Just stay focused on your diet and be confident on the fact that its helping you achieve your goal!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Crap. Not only do I now need to name my quads, Thor and Hercules are taken.

Zues is still free. you can take that. ;)

I'm thinking about it being Thor and Xena- that way they can be super sexy together when they touch- since clearly they aren't separated by a thigh gap.

Dibs on Athena. Let me know if you take Xena, because that would be an awesome right quad name.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm honestly confused every time this subject comes up.

I don't understand how this is allowed to continue on endlessly in a person's life.

There are two ways- either sacrastic- or incredibly direct/blunt and rude or a combination of those things.

OR

" what is the point of these comments again? you can explain to me? did you get a degree in nutrician? become a doctor? or just read the latest garbage that the Huffington Post threw out yesterday?"

I found this funny because my Mom really does have a degree in nutrition, so it wouldn't work terribly well with her.

No point either as I don't get harassed by family or friends. I had a few friends make some remarks in the very beginning, but other friends shut them up. I have friends that run the gamut from very overweight to very thin and we all hang together with no one hassling anyone else. My family is supportive too.

My co-workers on the other hand can be annoying, but I have no emotional investment there, so it's easiest to just ignore. If they get too bad I just stand and look at them until they stop. Most are more concerned with themselves or their own lives anyway, so easy to deflect with questions about how they or their family is doing.

If someone starts talking about you (your weight, health, etc) just ignore the comment and ask them questions about themselves.
    "Here try some of this. You're looking too skinny."
    "Sorry, no thanks. That's a nice blouse that you're wearing. Where did you get it?"
    and they are off describing the blouse. You come off as a nice person to all and any discussion about you or your weight is finished.
    You can ask about kids, spouse, their latest hobby, whatever. Works for me!

This is how adults handle things. 9 times out of 10 people are just saying things to say something.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I pack a snack or a full lunch whenever I go to family members house. My cousin will say that I have a bag of rabbit food. lol But it's good natured. so I don't mind. Genearlly my family is very supportive.
  • pagmichigan
    pagmichigan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Respond just don't react, my suggestion would be to tell them ....I am making myself better and healthier for my future, I would think you would be happy for me. Then dont say anything!!! Don't feel guilty, keep working on your goals
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get those comments from my boyfriend, if I say that I'm not in the mood for pasta or whatever, and he'll respond with sarcasm, 'Oh that's right, I forget you're on a diet and you'll never eat pasta ever again because of the calories'.

Nothing you can really do about it other than ignore.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Dibs on Freya and Hera.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when people you are close to, such as family, make fun of what you eat?

Punch them in the face.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Dibs on Freya and Hera.

Dammit. Fine. I've got Athena and Boudica.
  • action_figure
    Options

Dibs on Freya and Hera.

I'm good with that! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Dibs on Freya and Hera.

Boom done. now we all have fabulous quads.

I'm starting to wonder if I should name my glutes too- but what do we think- maybe that might be over kill?
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I KNOW RIGHT!!?? These people are putting themselves in an early grave (at least the overweight one's who bother me about it are) Why do they want to kill us too? And ya know it'd be considered totally rude if we started picking on everything our overweight friends put in their mouth. Like I'm almost tempted to try it (once I lose a bit more it'll be even better) Look on with disgust as they bring their fork to their mouth and say "Are you really planning to eat THAT?"...Or "Are you still eating? Geez!" LOL Totally unacceptable right? but for some reason them trying to kill us is ok!
  • action_figure
    Options

Dibs on Freya and Hera.

Boom done. now we all have fabulous quads.

I'm starting to wonder if I should name my glutes too- but what do we think- maybe that might be over kill?

Oh hell no. Then when someone ticks you off you can suggest they go kiss Persephone and Isis. It's much more couth.