Belly Fat..I know I know..

Options
I know it is not a new topic, however I need some good advice. I am lifting almost every day, adding a little cardio, and eating pretty healthy.

However I can not get this fat off my belly! I hate it! My legs and arms are looking great but this belly, while shrinking, still has a layer of thick fat!

What do I need to do different, if anything?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you're losing body fat, then just be patient.

What is your lifting routine?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    *Waves* welcome to the club! Nothing to be done about it. I know I've got great abs hiding under there somewhere, just waiting to get to a low enough BF that you can actually see them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating at a deficit, and weighing your food. Lift as heavy as you can, and just wait. :flowerforyou:
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    "I know I know" sounds like you already know ;)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Do you eat IIFYM?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This varies from person to person but fat builds up in different places based on our genetics and it's impossible to directly remove weight in these areas using any exercise.

You can indirectly lose weight in trouble spots by exercising and making sure your burning calories at a deficit. BMR is the best measure for losing fat mass. As your BMR improves, you will notice your tummy looking better.

Keep in mind, if you want those perfect washboard abs you will need to watch your diet carefully and exercise accordingly.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am eating very well....I think! If you want to add me as a friend I am not shy nor do I lie. Now I am not weighing my food because I not trying to lose pounds, however if I need to lose pounds then I will cut back my calories. I am eating at my IIFYM if not just a little less...I think my issue is wine...I love wine.

I lift about 5-6 days a week. I try to add a little cardio in. I can be patient if I am doing everything but the wine right!
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wine? BINGO!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You have 13lbs left to go according to your ticker - be patient, fat often seems to come off last from where you want it to come off first.

Google what a pound of fat looks like and you might appreciate the difference a loss of 13lbs can do.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Wine? BINGO!

Yes! This coming from a reformed wino. Less wine, more abs.
    Notice how I don't say NO wine. Have a little less and it will come. :wink:

Best of luck! :drinker:
    I'm trying to get there myself. Patience is the hardest part.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Do you measure yourself and have you changed your routine at all?

I am very very slowly losing weight - I probably want to lose around 10 lbs - but I'm losing inches. My weight hasn't really changed much recently but I've lost from my waist, stomach, thighs, and arms. I've been lifting 3 days a week and cardio at least 4 days a week - I normally workout 6 days.

However, sometimes I get stuck in the same routine so when I feel like I need a change, I change it up. May work fo ryou too. Today I added some plyometric moves between sets while lifting.

BTW I also love wine. I'd rather be 5 pounds overweight and drink wine as much as I want than be lighter and only drink when it fits my calories lol
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am eating very well....I think! If you want to add me as a friend I am not shy nor do I lie. Now I am not weighing my food because I not trying to lose pounds, however if I need to lose pounds then I will cut back my calories. I am eating at my IIFYM if not just a little less...I think my issue is wine...I love wine.

I lift about 5-6 days a week. I try to add a little cardio in. I can be patient if I am doing everything but the wine right!

Your profile picture looks great! With that said, you say that you are not weighing your food bc you are not trying to lose weight...but your ticker indicates you have 13 pounds to go and you want to lose fat from your mid section...
    So maybe weighing your food will be a good idea until you reach you goals.
    I'm just preaching here. My mid section is my toughest area too.

But having a caloric deficit is important if you are trying to trim; and one of the best ways to see if you are reaching a caloric deficit is by weighing your food.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Abs are built in the kitchen. If you're not getting what you want, you're not eating right for yourself.
  • luvmydawgs
    Options
    I have TOTALLY given up weighing myself. I guess I should dump that ticker! I found my before picture and was at the weight of my first weigh in goal. 130 and my after picture is me at 138! I am not kidding!
  • djslickrix
    djslickrix Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm also at a low body fat percentage now and I still have a very small amount of belly fat, when I wear a t-shirt its not visible but when I'm topless and looking in a mirror, I can see it and want it gone. I have been at a calorie deficit for a couple months and always have a cheat day once a week to shock my metabolism and I have never hit a plateu.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is I look really thin, but the small belly fat (gut) is still there and people are saying I look ill now.
  • luvmydawgs
    Options
    Do you measure yourself and have you changed your routine at all?

I am very very slowly losing weight - I probably want to lose around 10 lbs - but I'm losing inches. My weight hasn't really changed much recently but I've lost from my waist, stomach, thighs, and arms. I've been lifting 3 days a week and cardio at least 4 days a week - I normally workout 6 days.

However, sometimes I get stuck in the same routine so when I feel like I need a change, I change it up. May work fo ryou too. Today I added some plyometric moves between sets while lifting.

BTW I also love wine. I'd rather be 5 pounds overweight and drink wine as much as I want than be lighter and only drink when it fits my calories lol

Yes inches are coming off...well 1/4 and 1/2 inches so far. I really and I mean REALLY don't want to lose any inches on my arms. I feel like I look like a spider big middle and skinny arms and legs!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Yes inches are coming off...well 1/4 and 1/2 inches so far. I really and I mean REALLY don't want to lose any inches on my arms. I feel like I look like a spider big middle and skinny arms and legs!

If you add pull ups to the end of your routine and get tons of protein daily, those arms won't lose anymore inches.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am eating at my IIFYM if not just a little less...I think my issue is wine...I love wine.

^^^This is me exactly :) I hit my protein and I'm good, but man, don't take my wine away! I've got the same attitude, it's okay if I lose slow if I can drink my wine! If you're on facebook, there's a group called IIFYM Women that is really awesome. They can help with anything, and have some REALLY knowledgeable people. My thought in asking about that is that sometimes it's the macro ratio's that can make a big difference in the belly :) Good luck!
  • arielfirby
    arielfirby Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing too. I have lost 3.5 inches around my belly in the 2 months I have been going to the gym hardcore. I am still nursing my youngest son (19 months old) and my body is stubbornly wanting to keep that extra maternal fat I gained in pregnancy. My abs have gotten so much stronger in the last couple months! I know I have wonderful muscles under that layer of flub!
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think changing your routine and add more cardio that will help shrink the belly. Sugar & sodium makes the belly bloat too.