Any TOFU recipes?

2»

Replies

• PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    I use many different marinades, but usually start out with the same directions for a great Dry Fry texture.
    Squeeze your firm tofu dry. (As a previous poster instructed, a few paper towels on a plate, with a plate on top weighing out the juice for ten minutes).
    Cut tofu into desired shapes. I like to slice it into half inch strips, then cut those in half so I have a collection of triangles.
    Heat up your skillet/griddle on low-medium heat and dry-fry for about fifteen minutes per side. It may take longer or shorter, just keep an eye on it and flip when it's a nice golden brown.
    Use either an iron skillet or an iron electric griddle for best results.
    The trick is LOW and SLOW. It's time consuming, but really gives the tofu the best texture in my opinion.
    After it's golden brown on both sides, separate out what you are going to use now and refrigerate the rest (I am a lone tofu eater in my house, so I only cook up about 1/4 block at a time.)
    Marinade your tofu in whatever sauce you prefer. I have only used thin sauces for this method, but I can highly recommend a london broil marinade and anything stirfry. After about five minutes in the sauce, pop your tofu back on the pan for about three minutes each side to help the sauce really soak in and finish up.
    Annnnd eat.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Bump, I love tofu.

I haven't used silken tofu before, I keep meaning to use it in soup or a smoothie.

We have a favourite tofu recipe, but it isn't low in fat. As a treat though, yum.

Black Pepper Tofu - from 'Plenty' Yotam Ottolenghi, recipe copied from the Epicurious website, saves me typing :smile:

'Serves 4
    You will definitely surprise yourself with this one. It is an extremely delicious dish that's quick and straightforward to make, but looks as if it's been prepared at a top Chinese restaurant. It is fiery, both from the chiles and the black pepper; you can moderate this by reducing their quantity a little. However, the whole point is spiciness so don't go too far.
    Ingredients

1 3/4 lbs firm tofu
    Vegetable oil for frying
    Cornstarch to dust the tofu
    11 tbsp butter
    12 small shallots (12 ounces in total), thinly sliced
    8 fresh red chiles (fairly mild ones), thinly sliced
    12 garlic cloves, crushed
    3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
    3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
    3 tbsp light soy sauce
    4 tsp dark soy sauce
    2 tbsp sugar
    5 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder)
    16 small and thin green onions, cut into 1 1/4-inch segments

Preparation

Start with the tofu. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan or wok to come 1/4 inch up the sides and heat. Cut the tofu into large cubes, about 1 x 1 inch. Toss them in some cornstarch and shake off the excess, then add to the hot oil. (You'll need to fry the tofu pieces in a few batches so they don't stew in the pan.) Fry, turning them around as you go, until they are golden all over and have a thin crust. As they are cooked, transfer them onto paper towels. *ADDITION: I WRAP THE TOFU IN A TOWEL AND PLACE UNDER A HEAVY CHOPPING BOARD AND TIP TO DRAIN FOR 30 MINS BEFORE USING*

Remove the oil and any sediment from the pan, then put the butter inside and melt it. Add the shallots, chiles, garlic and ginger. Sauté on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients have turned shiny and are totally soft. Next, add the soy sauces and sugar and stir, then add the crushed black pepper.

Add the tofu to warm it up in the sauce for about a minute. Finally, stir in the green onions. Serve hot, with steamed rice.'

It's really tasty
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Bump
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Gardein has some great Vegan products.... (Kosher too!)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Just a heads up, if you are stir frying tofu, it helps to drain it well first. Put several paper towels on a plate, put the tofu on it and put another plate on top of it to gently squeeze it down. Let it sit like this for 10 minutes of so to soak out the extra moisture. It will help your tofu stay firmer when you cook it.

YES. The key to success with tofu is pressing it. I sandwich between two plates like above, put something heavy on top and leave for 20 minutes or more.

Once I started doing this the difference was night and day.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I've posted this recipe before but it deserves repeating.

Buffalo style tofu

Sooo easy and soooo good.

1 Container of extra firm tofu

1-2 Tablespoons of Hot Sauce (Franks)

1-2 Tablespoons of Water

1 Tablespoon Butter (I use Land O Lake Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil)

Slice the tofu and remove as much extra moisture as possible. Put the tofu in a skillet sprayed with a little cooking spray. Flip over once the first side is browned. Brown other side. Meanwhile combine hot sauce, water and butter and microwave until the butter is melted. Mix the sauce until combined. Remove from pan and pour over the sauce.
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Tofu Jorim
    1 package of firm tofu
    beaten egg to coat
    flour to coat

Sauce
    3 tbsp sodium - use low sodium!
    chopped green onions
    1 tbsp sesame oil
    sriracha
    water to thin it out a bit

This is a Korean side dish, but I love to eat it as my main protein. Cut the tofu into 2 inch x 2inch x 0.5in pieces. Depending on your block of tofu, I typically get 8 pieces. Coat with flour and egg and fry in a pan. You can skip the flour and egg if you wish and just fry the tofu directly until golden brown. Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce. Once your tofu is fried, layer your tofu in a saucepan like lasagna. Add some sauce to bottom and add a layer of tofu. Add more sauce on top of tofu. Keep layering until you run out. Cover and steam for about 5 mins. Watch the pot and make sure it doesn't burn, lower heat if necessary.

You can eat this cold or hot.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    stir fry: tofu, mushrooms, broccoli, celery sticks, bell pepper, soy sauce.
    Still looking for some low calories noodles as a side .......
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Thai tofu and vegetable soup:
    4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tsp veg oil
    8 cups of hot vegetable broth
    2 tbsp soy sauce, light
    1 pkg firm tofu, cubed
    4 cups mixed chopped vegetables (I used, spring onions, broccoli, snow peas, cabbage, and baby portobello mushrooms)
    cilantro for seasoning
    cracked pepper
    Heat oil and sautee garlic until it is golden brown. Add the soy sauce, and let it sizzle, then add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for about 5 minutes or until before the vegetable get too mushy for your taste
  • coffeefreak88
    coffeefreak88 Posts: 37 Member
    bump!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    I have been wanting to try tofu so I'm in for the recipes :happy:
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Bump! I've just started using tofu- usually I buy firm or extra firm, then crumble it into a pan and treat it like ground meat. I've got a sensitive stomach, though, and I've found that I can have a bad reaction to it- does anyone else deal with this? How do you get around it? I've been trying to pair it with rice in dishes, and that seems to help...
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Here is one of my favorite that I use all the time

Pan Fried Tofu and Awesome Hoisin Sauce

100-200 grams hard or extra firm tofu
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    2 Tablespoon sesame oil

1. Really press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I wrap mine in paper towels to get the initial moisture off of it then wrap it in paper towels again and weight it down with a cast iron skillet and leave it for 20 mins.
    2. While you wait, combine the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
    3. After the tofu is dry, slice it 1/2 inch thick.
    4. Heat the vegetable oil in non stick pan and when it's hot place the slices of tofu in there. The tofu should sizzle when you put it in and don't let the tofu touch the other tofu in the pan.
    5. Leave the tofu alone! Don't touch it! Depending on your pan the first side should take between 4-6 minutes (i have one piece I use as a tester piece) When golden brown flip. The other side won't take as long to cook, about 2-3 minutes.
    6. When done place on plate and drizzle Hoisin Sauce over it.

I top mine with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds for a visual and flavorful experience :)

sounds lovely! just wondering...once cooked how long would this keep in the fridge for?
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I just bought some tofu to try for the first time. These recipes look great! I also saw some interesting looking recipes on Pinterest.
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    i'm definitely trying some of these recipes! If you freeze the tofu, then thaw, it will absorb any marinades/sauces better.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Tofu "Egg" Salad!

1 block tofu, pressed for an hour under a heavy book
    1-2 tablespoons vegan mayo
    1 tsp grainy mustard
    1 tsp pickle relish
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    chopped celery
    sprinkle of Splenda or sugar
    salt & pepper to taste
    optional: sprinkle of himalayan pink salt (adds an "eggy" taste)

Combine and allow flavors to develop overnight. Eat on toast, over greens, or with bell pepper "scoops"!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Tofu fruit pudding for dessert~

1 refrigerated or frozen ripe mango
    3 oz very soft/silken tofu (I prefer Korean soft tofu)

Blend and eat with a dessert spoon!

You can add other fruits: ripe/frozen nectarines, bananas, strawberries, plums, dates, dried blueberries, etc. I eat this almost every day...I love it. For an extra sweet/creamy treat, add some vanilla ice cream or better yet, my favorite pistachio gelato ice cream. That defeats the purpose of a healthy dessert but it's still soooo good! :D

To make it a smoothie, add about 1/2 cup of water or milk (cow, almond, soy, coconut, whatever you prefer) and blend evenly. Yummy in a bottle.