Can we talk for a minute about "Cauliflower Rice"

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I don't think there's anything normal about wanting to pretend something isn't what it is, but hey that's just me.
    I like rice and call it rice.
    I like cauliflower and call it cauliflower.
    I haven't tried to create a dish from cauliflower in very small bits, but it sounds delicious. I definitely don't get why this would be called cauliflower rice, since there's no rice in it, so boring me would still call it cauliflower.
    Do you know what the verb is for chopping a vegetable or other food into small bits?

mince :wink:
    lol. Riced.

eww, now I'm thinking of minced meat pies. BLECH.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    I don't think there's anything normal about wanting to pretend something isn't what it is, but hey that's just me.
    I haven't tried to create a dish from cauliflower in very small bits, but it sounds delicious. I definitely don't get why this would be called cauliflower rice, since there's no rice in it, so boring me would still call it cauliflower.

People do this all the time. I think it is very "normal" to eat foods that you like and to want to try them in new and interesting ways.

And "ricing" is a method of cutting food. You can "rice" a lot of things.
    I assume it's "riced cauliflower" then, not "cauliflower rice"? The former tells us how the cauliflower was prepared, whereas the latter implies a substitution of sort. "Riced cauliflower" sounds delicious, "cauliflower rice" sounds meh.

ETA
    This whole thread is fantastic.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Do you know what the verb is for chopping a vegetable or other food into small bits?

lol. Riced.

mince: a. To cut or chop into very small pieces. b. To subdivide into minute parts. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Never tried minced meat pie, but from your reaction... I think I shan't. :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm

lol. Riced.

mince: a. To cut or chop into very small pieces. b. To subdivide into minute parts. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Never tried minced meat pie, but from your reaction... I think I shan't. :tongue:
    It's also called RICING. :flowerforyou:
    verb (used with object), riced, ric·ing.
    to reduce to a form resembling rice: to rice potatoes.

Minced meat pie is vile (in my humble opinion).:happy:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food. I can only assume these same people lose their composure when someone brings a fruit pizza to a party - unless it's made with marinara sauce and traditional pizza crust I suppose.
    Fruit pizza??? If you were coming to my party and we're bringing fruit pizza I'd want to know in advance so I can de-friend you irl.
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/cauliflower-wine-295095/
    Par-tay :drinker:

I've got half a mind to try it just to troll people in real life...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food. I can only assume these same people lose their composure when someone brings a fruit pizza to a party - unless it's made with marinara sauce and traditional pizza crust I suppose.
    Fruit pizza??? If you were coming to my party and we're bringing fruit pizza I'd want to know in advance so I can de-friend you irl.

It's pretty tasty (at least the last time I had it, which was probably 10 years ago) but has nothing to do with pizza beyond a similar appearance (crust/icing/topping). I'll admit it doesn't scream par-tay though. More pot luck. :tongue:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Don't use purple cauliflower for mashed recipes. Poor decisions. Nobody wants to eat something that color.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Lol, all these cauliflower "substitutes" are NOTHING like the real thing. Just call the **** cauliflower "bits" or "chunks". It's DEFINITELY not rice.
    And rice ain't evil. Ask the millions of Asians that eat it every day and don't have weight issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Interesting that you chose the asians and not...say... some other population that eats rice frequently.
    Mostly because that the Asian population is 1/3 of the world population and that's a lot of ****ing rice. Who's the next ethnic population that eats a lot of rice daily? Probably people of Spanish decent (Latin America, Mexico, etc.). I wasn't discriminating, I was going by sheer volume of people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    rice is rice - cauliflower is cauliflower

cauliflower is no substitute for mashed potatoes :(

that is all
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Trust that I'm not fretting or staying up a night worrying about what people call their food. Personally I find it humorous.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So much this! The things the people say in these forums are fodder for all sorts of laughter and conversation. Cauliflower is different though. It is less humorous and more like....

dsgstd.gif

Because cauliflower. :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

No way! (Unless it's one of those parties where no one is eating anything, and those have their place. :wink: )

Sugar cookie crust topped with sweetened cream cheese and then slices of fresh fruit, with an apple jelly glaze on top to seal the deal. It's heaven. Some people use refrigerated cookie dough, but I like to make it from scratch. There are very few desserts made with fruit that taste better.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

No way! (Unless it's one of those parties where no one is eating anything, and those have their place. :wink: )

Sugar cookie crust topped with sweetened cream cheese and then slices of fresh fruit, with an apple jelly glaze on top to seal the deal. It's heaven. Some people use refrigerated cookie dough, but I like to make it from scratch. There are very few desserts made with fruit that taste better.

Perhaps he's thinking of a tomato-based variant. :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Lol, all these cauliflower "substitutes" are NOTHING like the real thing. Just call the **** cauliflower "bits" or "chunks". It's DEFINITELY not rice.
    And rice ain't evil. Ask the millions of Asians that eat it every day and don't have weight issues.

IDEA Fitness member
    Interesting that you chose the asians and not...say... some other population that eats rice frequently.
    Mostly because that the Asian population is 1/3 of the world population and that's a lot of ****ing rice. Who's the next ethnic population that eats a lot of rice daily? Probably people of Spanish decent (Latin America, Mexico, etc.). I wasn't discriminating, I was going by sheer volume of people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I wasn't suggesting you were discriminating. Just that you've mentioned Mexican food many times in the past. :happy:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    For cauliflower lovers:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_cauliflower_tater_tots.html

They are pretty stinking good.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    I've nothing to add on the cauliflower rice conundrum :laugh:

Posting to tag the recipes for when my 15 cauliflower plants produce a crop. I live alone and that it a lot of cauliflower to get through. Though I do like it of course, hence sowing cauliflower seeds in the first place! Just not sure I need 15 cauliflowers.:noway:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I like cauliflower mashed with sour cream and cream cheese. But it is NOT mashed potato. It is mashed cauliflower. I don't get why people need to pretend it's something that it isn't?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Don't use purple cauliflower for mashed recipes. Poor decisions. Nobody wants to eat something that color.
    Food color going down doesn't bother me. It's the rainbows that come up that turn my stomach. My daughter vomited rainbow goldfish when she was a toddler, and since then there have been no rainbow foods permitted in my house.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Riced cauliflower is pretty good. And yes, calling it "riced" is perfectly acceptable unless you are being a pretentious *kitten* on the internet.

Still isn't a pizza crust.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Food color going down doesn't bother me. It's the rainbows that come up that turn my stomach. My daughter vomited rainbow goldfish when she was a toddler, and since then there have been no rainbow foods permitted in my house.

Ewww... I remember when I had gastro years ago I sent my flatmate to the shop to get me some water (lived in a state where you did NOT drink from the tap) and he came back with blue gatorade because "you're going to hurk it anyway, at least this will be interesting" LOL.

But year, purple cauli looks cool until it's cooked. Then it just isn't right.