up 6 pounds in 2 weeks...what could it be ?

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    naaa im not sure thats it.....I was doing it a yr ago too and didnt spike up...this bums me big time....I told the wife im ready to just bag it and eat what I want when I want and do my exercise and forget the scale..I dont notice my pants any tighter....for the last 6 or 8 weeks ive been cheating on Thursdays and eating a couple slices of pizza with a small bag of doritos...also eating a couple brownies after my morning workout and a bunch of cashews after lunch and pretzles with my wine after supper...

but the following week my weight was still under 140....ugggggg....

Quit telling people the advice that you asked for is wrong. Do you understand how obnoxious that is? Seriously, what do you want to hear? That it's a medical condition and if you see a doctor about it you'll be given medication that'll just melt the weight off so you never have to work out again?

Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....

Look you asked a question, you were given a lot of very good answers, but you have rejected them all, so I guess what you are doing is perfect.
  • babylion7
    babylion7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello. I haven't read all the comments so I'm not sure if this advice was given, but I notice that I lose water weight with a diuretic pill. The one I use is Xpel from MHP it helps with rapid water loss, has natural herbs. I drink a gallon of water a day with it and haven't gained any weight
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hello. I haven't read all the comments so I'm not sure if this advice was given, but I notice that I lose water weight with a diuretic pill. The one I use is Xpel from MHP it helps with rapid water loss, has natural herbs. I drink a gallon of water a day with it and haven't gained any weight

If you are so obsessed with your scale weight that you would take a diuretic I seriously question your ability to give advice on issues of health. How is that healthy? What does your scale weight when it comes to water retention have anything to do with your health? If your body is retaining water it is probably for a good reason, you don't want to just start popping diuretics.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

There are two options:

1 - You ate a lot more than you thought and gained 6 real pounds in a week. 6 x 3500 = 21,000. 21,000 calories over maintenance, while your goal is well under maintenance.

2 - Water retention. There are various different reasons for water retention, I think most having already been discussed.

Which is more likely to you? Your logging may not be accurate but I doubt that you underestimated calories by that much. In any case, even if it were real pounds, you can't cut calories further in a healthy manner.

Repeating myself since you haven't commented on the likelihood that you ate 21,000 calories over maintenance.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofin causes water retention.
    I agree, plus the reason behind taking ibuprofen is usually soreness, which itself causes water retention.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    naaa im not sure thats it.....I was doing it a yr ago too and didnt spike up...this bums me big time....I told the wife im ready to just bag it and eat what I want when I want and do my exercise and forget the scale..I dont notice my pants any tighter....for the last 6 or 8 weeks ive been cheating on Thursdays and eating a couple slices of pizza with a small bag of doritos...also eating a couple brownies after my morning workout and a bunch of cashews after lunch and pretzles with my wine after supper...

Quit telling people the advice that you asked for is wrong. Do you understand how obnoxious that is? Seriously, what do you want to hear? That it's a medical condition and if you see a doctor about it you'll be given medication that'll just melt the weight off so you never have to work out again?

Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....
    Well, you are a but defensive because you are not getting the right answers.....or something. We're just people not professionals. If you believe it's not water, or that you are not underestimating calories in and/or overestimating calories out, go to the doctor for thyroid testing and/or other medical conditions.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Bad advice.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Try changing the batteries in your scale.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Good posts from everyone. Weight loss does not simply go down in a linear fashion and many outside variables can have an impact on the scale. The scale is a tool and nothing more, I'd highly recommend sticking to measuring your BMR and watching the trends there.

Just food for thought, but muscle mass weighs more than fat mass *fact. So if you increase your physical activity therefore start gaining muscle mass, that might offset your weight loss results into making you think you're doing bad when you're really doing well.

Water retention is also very likely.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Just food for thought, but muscle mass weighs more than fat mass *fact. So if you increase your physical activity therefore start gaining muscle mass, that might offset your weight loss results into making you think you're doing bad when you're really doing well.

No, no, no. This is a MAN who is eating 1300-1400 calories a day. There is no muscle mass being built here.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Just food for thought, but muscle mass weighs more than fat mass *fact.

I don't think you know what weight means. Fact.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    my goal was 140 or just under which I have been at even when I ate ice cream everyday....other than the easter week and the week after all the candy ????
    do you track your calories?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Going to try to break this down to its components here.

Up 6 pounds in 2 weeks. That is 14 days.

Scale weight gains can be due to four things. Fat, muscle, water, bone density. Your organ weight pretty much doesn't change.

Okay so lets go through these.

1) Fat weight. One pound of fat is 3,500 calories. To gain 6 pounds of fat would require eating 21,000 calories over maintenance. Given your activity level your maintenance is probably somewhere in the 2600 calorie level which would mean 36, 400 calories over two weeks. So to put on 6 pounds of fat over 14 days you would have to have eaten 21,000 + 36,400 = 57,400 calories. That would be about 4,100 calories per day. This strikes me as unlikely considering you are attempting to eat around 1400 calories a day and I doubt you are that far off.

2) Muscle. Under ideal conditions. Heavy lifting plus surplus calories. A man can put on maybe about a pound of muscle in a month or about half a pound in 14 days. That is at a caloric surplus. At a caloric deficit that is never going to happen and even then we are talking half a pound not 6 pounds. Not muscle.

3) Bone density. If you lose 6 pounds of bone density in 14 days you don't have much longer left to live so enjoy your days. Seriously though I think we can discount bone density.

4) Water. 400 mg of salt causes retention of 2 pounds of water. Exercising muscle i that causes strain or stress results in water retention. Doing a new routine can aggravate this. Eating carbohydrates and the conversion to glycogen in the muscles can also cause large amounts of water retention. It would be quite easy to add 6 pounds of water weight in a day let alone 14 days.

The answer is 4.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

computer-facepalm.gif
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not perfect I learned something new today. From weight watchers-

"Q:Does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic."
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can weigh 5 pounds more one day than I did the day before depending on what type food I eat, what exercise I do, etc. Trust the answers...Its water. Unless you ate 21000 calories
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I can weigh 5 pounds more one day than I did the day before depending on what type food I eat, what exercise I do, etc. Trust the answers...Its water. Unless you ate 21000 calories

A very concise tl;dr for all the good advice you're ignoring.

Maybe you should start weighing in daily and watch the trend.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Ok I'm not perfect I learned something new today. From weight watchers-

"Q:Does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic."

Well, half of the facepalm gets removed for the realization that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat but half the facepalm remains from the idea that you are going to be gaining muscle mass while at caloric deficit.

Truth is you don't put on muscle when you are at a large caloric deficit. Not only that muscle gain even in optimal conditions is a very slow and tedious process resulting in maybe 10 pounds of gain in a year if you are lucky. Over the time scales we are talking and the fact the OP is at caloric deficit rest assured there is no weight change due to muscle going on here.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Look you asked a question, you were given a lot of very good answers, but you have rejected them all, so I guess what you are doing is perfect.

Look, if thats all you have to offer is that kind of a reply...pls dont waste mine or your time...thanks
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt just go by a scale. Body compositions could be changing, adding more weights to the routine? take your measurement or photos. I am 10 pnds heavier in 1 yr and my body has much more muscle on it!