Any strange looks/comments about your healthy habits?

Options
1235»

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, all the time at my old job. I'm one of those "lucky, naturally thin people" (snort). Our workday started around 5 am, so we all normally ate breakfast at work around 7:30. I would bring my measured cereal and milk, plus some fruit. My coworkers' breakfasts were much larger. For lunch, my biggest meal of the day, I would have whatever protein I wanted, whether it be grilled chicken or a cheeseburger, and vegetables (I always got crap for having broccoli with my cheeseburger instead of fries). I would usually have some nuts or hummus as a snack, and something sweet. My coworkers? Fried, cheese sauce, gravy, butter, all the high caloric options. I would get the "must be nice to get to eat anything and not gain weight" comments. What they don't know is that when I would go home, I would have a light dinner--soup, or a salad, or oatmeal and yogurt. And exercise.

I would always counter with "Come spend a week with me and eat what I eat and do what I do and then see if you think I'm 'lucky.'"

No one ever took me up on it.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SHUTUP! For the love of everything that is good. I KNOW it won't kill me. However, i'm not going to spend 500 calories on a stupid giant cupcake at work with people I'm not even friends with just because it's there. My splurges are on my own time!

Completely agree! I'd rather have ice cream out with my husband and kids after dinner than a piece of cheap grocery store bakery cake with my coworkers. It's none of their business how I "spend" my calories, and after a polite "Would you like a piece?" and a response of "No thanks" that's where it should drop!

If I'm gonna "waste" a lot of calories....I'm gonna make sure it's worth it. Like you, I'd rather have something I baked myself than a sugary treat from a store bakery.

!!!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
    I like to make sure every sweet thing I eat is worth it. Therefore: Grandma's baked goods: totally free range, but grocery store bday cakes and all that….no way. I don't even crave that stuff, I just kinda turn my nose up to it because it honestly, doesn't look that great lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Eating my whole 900ml tub of Carte d'or while waiting for my van to have it's MOT done, got some odd looks from the gym users next door.

(I had cycled 12 miles to my friend's house where the van was, then 12 miles back after and it was a 'not weights' day, so I have higher fat .)

Although I am nowhere near THAT active, I get this, too! My husband and I took a friend of ours out recently to the best divey burger joint, and then to a local ice cream parlor. We had burgers, ranch fries, and two scoops each of homemade ice cream. Our friend who would like to lose weight but has done nothing about it, was convinced at that point that we've just had a change in our metabolism allowing us to lose a lot of weight...never mind the fact that he knows we log every bite on here, and had spent the morning hiking 4 miles and several hours doing cleaning and errands, and we'd eaten scrambled eggs, string cheese, and steamed vegetables up to that point in the day.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the center aisles of the grocery store, but since I do most of my produce shopping at the farmers market, when I do go in it's for proteins and dry/canned staples. I am also a label reader, so shopping isn't a run in, grab something, and go trip. When I am buying something new or different (like the other day it was bread, I don't eat much of it but my partner likes sandwiches for lunch) I take my time to compare labels of worthy looking options. Even to the point of checking out the bakery section, then going to the bread aisle, only to return to the bakery section. I kept running into this other couple who I could literally see staring at me as I read the ingredients list for the second round. Yes, I know it's just bread but even the bakery bread looks like a chemistry experiment now! So, it takes me a while to choose. I'm over it, I just hope maybe someone see's me and makes the connection "hey, that's a good idea. Maybe I should look at what's in this thing I am about to purchase and consume?"
  • cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At work, the grocery store, and other public places I have learned to ignore the glances and stares. However, around family and friends I get heckled. Alot of them are trying to do the same to various degrees. I usually get the comments and comical looks from the younger generation. Somehow they seem to be quite offended by my attempts to improve myself. Taking great joy in being both supportive and sadistic. I guess that is typical when someone you have known since birth starts drastically changing physically and personality wise.

"I don't understand. I mean you look great FOR A GUY YOUR AGE."

-sigh- "Thanks kiddo. Any chance we can remove that addendum?"

"Why? You're old."

You gotta love honesty! LOL
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    nope... only when I post a really weird recipe I get a few people who question it. Most people just leave me alone. Like my moms reaction to cream cheese pancakes. Hysterical. LOL

I actually get more stares and questions when I indulge and join them in getting take out or having cake or something. They are like ohhh what are you doing?? You don't eat this stuff. Which is fine by me. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Constantly.

She got shut down when I said actually, I'm loving life. I can wear the clothes I want, run for miles, enjoy treats when I want them, oh and I was off on an adventure week to Spain - no uncomfortable flight seats, and I'm going horse-riding, canyoning, kayaking, rafting in a National Park - all the things I really want to do because I'm healthy from the inside and I can fit into the seats and not squash the horse.

Apparently, that was me being spiteful and got me reported to HR.

Epic. lol :laugh:
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    someone asked me if I was one of those "health nuts" because i bring fruit to work every day. I said nope! I just really like fruit and its great to snack on when I get hungry!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've had checkers at markets tell me that I buy a lot of fruits and veggies and ask me if I'm vegetarian despite the top round roast and giant packages of chicken breasts and thighs that they scanned first. I always find that slightly strange thinking. I've also been asked if I'm one of those clean eaters for the same reason despite the package of Oreo cookies and tub of ice cream in the mix. I guess they're not used to that volume of produce.

At work I've only ever had people ask me what I did to lose weight and get fit. They don't always like the answer but they've never been rude about it. At most they've asked me now long it takes to prepare my lunches that I bring but since they're almost always leftovers from the night before or some of my ever present soup, it tell them it takes no time at all.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use the bar-code scanner religiously so seeing a random girl holding her phone up to a can of pringles must look pretty crazy. :bigsmile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've had checkers at markets tell me that I buy a lot of fruits and veggies and ask me if I'm vegetarian despite the top round roast and giant packages of chicken breasts and thighs that they scanned first.

haha! ok. this has happened to me too! I forgot about it.

One time a friend of mine came over and opened my fridge to get a beer. The precariously stacked vegetables that were hiding the beer decided to attack him upon opening the door. He asked me if I had enough vegetables as we rinsed and put back in the fridge (after fishing out beer of course) I told him the guard vegetables have been trained to attack anyone looking for beer and that was my master plan to avoid the avoid alcohol and eat healthier. LOL
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My roommate today as watching me weigh my chicken tenders. She said it wasn't enough food. I told her it was enough for me that it was a full serving. (I think she missed me weighing my fries. You barely get any of those! :laugh: )
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah check out cashiers. Some of them look visibly stressed when I show up with a bunch of fruit and veg that they have to weigh and enter garbage codes for. Don't even think of the more exotic ones that it takes them five minutes to find. Well *I* don't want to do it either so don't look at me - I ain't going to the self checkout. I mean come on, isn't this how we're supposed to be eating :ohwell:
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Most of my coworkers don't say anything, but for those that have, it has just been a very polite observation. Like "You are so disciplined with what you eat!" That was when a big group of us had gone to Olive Garden and I ordered a little plate of something from a placard on the table. It was only $3.50 (and it came with salad and bread sticks). I gave my salad plate and bread stick plate to someone else who ordered an appetizer as I didn't want need them. Anyhow, I ended up taking HALF of my little meal back to the office for the next day. It was good, but I just don't eat much.

One of our grocery stores has a really nice salad bar... and sometimes my salad container, including the salad dressing, only costs me about $1.65. The person who weighs it typically asks me if I even have anything in the container! :) I just say "Oh yeah, I just don't eat much." A little lettuce, a lot of grilled chicken, ham, etc, cheese, nuts, etc.

We go to bed around 9 pm as the alarm goes off right before 5 am. Even on the weekends, I'm typically up around 6 am. (We consider that sleeping in.
  • Tontoterra
    Tontoterra Posts: 2
    Options
    Daily, as I opt-out of the common middle Tennessee breakfast fare of a Sundrop and a Honeybun.
    More when I reach for my device to log my food intake during breaks instead of Zantac, Nexium, cigarettes, and more Sundrop.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Bread. I am VERY picky with it.
    Prefer not to eat it at all but if I do...it must be perfect.
    People cannot believe my "no thanks" option.
    Everyone thinks bigger is better these days.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I am a management consultant with a large national bank as my client. Their health insurance requires that they undergo a screening and if any of their stats are out of the healthy category they are not entitled to their full health insurance discount. They can do other activities that allows them to "gain points" to get their full discount like walking with a pedometer, etc. So every time the health assessment time rolls around, I have to kind of chuckle. There's a fairly large woman who wears shape-ups and complains she needs to lose 20 pounds to get her discount as she heads over to the candy bowl 20 times a day. There have been others who have asked me to wear their pedometers out on a run so they can get their step points. And people who make the "you're just naturally skinny" comments to me. And I hear myself repeating all the time, " Damnit, I worked hard for this body! I count everything I eat and workout, there is nothing natural about this!" They usually just won't hear any of it. On the flip side, I have had numerous people ask that I start a blog on my lunches and cooking for the young, single 20 something in the big corporate world.

I'm a young, single 20 something in the big corporate world and would LOVE to read a food blog catered at me. But really.

Wanna be MFP friends?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah check out cashiers. Some of them look visibly stressed when I show up with a bunch of fruit and veg that they have to weigh and enter garbage codes for. Don't even think of the more exotic ones that it takes them five minutes to find. Well *I* don't want to do it either so don't look at me - I ain't going to the self checkout. I mean come on, isn't this how we're supposed to be eating :ohwell:

haha I know, I have seen the same thing a zillion times. I'm actually puzzled though because my first couple years of college I was a supermarket cashier and within about a month I was really used to all of the produce codes...and it was probably 1 in 10 shoppers who had a crapload of produce and fresh herbs and so on...but not THAT rare! This was back in the mid 90s too...so I don't know what is going on with cashiers today.
  • Rokoye83
    Rokoye83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My coworkers tease me all the time for weighing and logging my food. However, I have gotten one of them to start juicing! Yay for small victories :)
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I did at first from my husband and his friends but now they are all used to it. although I do get the comments now like "did you measure and log that?"