I SUCK at putting food in my mouth!

Options
124»

Replies

• jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It occurred to me this morning to ask if lots of water was being consumed IN ADDITION to other fluids. There is a myth out there that one needs "8 glasses of water" to stay properly hydrated. That fluid intake does not need to be water alone. Almost any other liquid except those containing alcohol or excessive caffeine can count as well.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a match thrown into a trash can. PLEASE do not turn this thread into a dumpster fire. I sincerely beleive it is possible our health minded OP could be walking around with a bottle of water in his hand all day long AND still drinking large drinks with his meals and also consuming all the liquid that is in smoothies or protein drinks etc.

I drink 3 litres of pure water daily. In addition to a couple of shakes per day that have about 10 oz of water. And two cups of coffee, standard coffee cup - not a Starbucks Vente ;) But, I don't fill up on water.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    look at calories and eat fast grab foods that are loaded with calories and nutrients like PB, nuts granola (Make your own with a variety and use coconut oil) ice cream to protein shakes, avacados, different meats are higher, and some fats You also need to watch how much you are eating fruits and veggies since they are low in calories and take up space filling you up.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Almonds, eggs, oatmeal? or more meals if you cannot consume alot at one time?
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As a person who isn't sucking at putting food in my mouth, I can give you a few tips to help you suck less ;)

First, you really need to have a food stash on hand, like a drawer at your work desk where you keep some calorie-dense food, like different kinds of nuts and/or trail mix, tuna (well, it's not exactly calorie-dense, but it keeps well and if you choose tuna packed in olive oil, you can have good fat and protein at the same time), grilled chickpeas (no need to grill them by yourself, you can buy them in grocery stores, around the other indian products), organic dried fruits, packets of instant oatmeal, nut butters, etc. I would also keep some dark chocolate, and whole grain crackers, like ryevita, whole wheat pita chips or lentil crackers, that you can use with hummus, cream cheese and other dips. When you have all the food on hand, it's really easy to eat all the time without even thinking about doing it: you juste reach for something and then munch a little.

Second, if it's possible at your workplace, try to bring some groceries at the beginning of the week, like bananas, yogurt, hummus, cream cheese, labneh, any other dip that you may like, avocado and bread (to make quick avocado toast!), hard boiled egg (here in Canada we can buy them in sous-vide packs so I suppose that you have the same thing in United State), deli meats, cheese and things like that. You won't have to take a lot of time to make your snack and you will have a lot of good choice readily available. A nice avocado toast with two hard boiled eggs can give you around 400 calories, and if you had a handful of healthy nuts that you have in your drawer, you'll be good for a while.

(If you're not working at a place where you can have your personal stach, you may bring a cooler with you with all the food you need for the day. You can also do this if you are on the road.).

Now, to be sure to eat all that food, I suggest you to pair snacking with another thing that you do everyday, like everytime you go to the bathroom at work, you can take the time to make you a good snack in the kitchen, or everytime you refill your coffee mug, perhaps. You can also set alarms if you tend to really forget to eat. I tend to forget to eat my snacks in the week ends because I associate them with my work routine, so I guess that you can make those kind of association too.

Also, I found out that when I'm planning all my food intake in the morning (like, I already know what I'll be eating at 10 AM, 12 PM, 4 PM and 7 PM), I usually eat in a more regular way.

Thanks for taking time to write such a detailed post. I travel sooo much that most of my weekdays are in a car or on a plane. But I like your idea of "connecting" an daily activity/action to a food source.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    In addition to peanut butter as the previous poster said, you can incorporate:
    avocados,
    olives,
    walnuts,
    cashews,
    almonds,
    salmon,
    olive oil.

healthy fats...

If you like snacking on cashews, they are a good choice. I like cashews and potato chips together, and also peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches:) You could even add extra butter. Maybe if you have beer or wine with your snack you will want to eat more?

I don't particularly like milk but if you do, perhaps you could try to drink a gallon of whole milk a day on top of your usual diet?

I think what you are going through is as hard as trying to eat less, and it just takes time to get used to a different quantity of food. I feel full now if I overeat but never used to. It might sound ridiculous, but if you find a silly way to eat more calories you may develop a habit. For example, you might find that you will eat extra food easily after you have consistently upped your calories for a set amount of time.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I read the title of this thread and this is all I can think of.

69486.gif
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    grab 2 handfuls of almonds, theres 1000 calories
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It occurred to me this morning to ask if lots of water was being consumed IN ADDITION to other fluids. There is a myth out there that one needs "8 glasses of water" to stay properly hydrated. That fluid intake does not need to be water alone. Almost any other liquid except those containing alcohol or excessive caffeine can count as well.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a match thrown into a trash can. PLEASE do not turn this thread into a dumpster fire. I sincerely beleive it is possible our health minded OP could be walking around with a bottle of water in his hand all day long AND still drinking large drinks with his meals and also consuming all the liquid that is in smoothies or protein drinks etc.

I drink 3 litres of pure water daily. In addition to a couple of shakes per day that have about 10 oz of water. And two cups of coffee, standard coffee cup - not a Starbucks Vente ;) But, I don't fill up on water.

It's time. To. Math.

One liter is equal to 33.81402 US fluid ounces.x3....=101.44206ounces
    2 ten ounce shakes......................................................... = 20 ounces
    2 cups of coffee 6 ounces to be modest..................=12 ounces
    TOTAL you are consuming daily..............................=133.44206 ounces
    minus the amount MFP recommends 8 glasses = -64 ounces
    overage....................................................................................69.44206

You are drinking more than double the amount you need to. Try cutting back and see if that helps you have room for more food.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yep, as above.

I'd definitely look to only drink AFTER you've eaten, or at least while.

Drinking that much is the sort of thing people who are trying to avoid eating do to cover up the body's natural 'hunger' feelings!