Is underweight really an issue?

Options

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Anorexia (mine was caused by celiac disease) left me with low bone mass. 5'6" 107lbs is not replacing bone mass. Bone mass is critically important if you don't want to end up crippled. I highly recommend you gain muscles.This would be weight lifting not cardio. You will NOT bulk but look toned, like a fitness model only slightly less muscular, as they train long hours to look as muscular as they do. I easily burn 1000 calories and manage, while controlling my disease (NO gluten), to weigh 145lbs at 5'9" tall. I'm so glad to hear you've found some recovery now get that bone mass up!
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also I am vegan (something I'm not willing to give up) so it's hard to find enough cals in food to get my required amount....
    You absolutely don't need to give up veganism as it's do-able to get enough calories from plant based foods.I have the opposite problem atm as I'm a vegan foodie trying to lose a bit of weight so maybe I can help!

Drink smoothies and plant-milk or protein shakes for nutrient-dense breakfasts or snacks. Try things like nuts or protein flapjacks (Nakd, Trek etc) as snacks or things like nuts, seeds, hummus with dips, tahini, halva etc. Add a sprinkle of seeds or flaked almonds and a tahini dressing on your salads, with things like olives, marinated tofu, avocado etc through them, and rich coconut korma or peanut satay sauces. Try a few "cheeses" such as cashew-based Vegusto, and tofu jerky such as Primal Strips. Hope that gives you a few ideas x
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that when you're in recovery, you're not just gaining muscle and fat. You're repairing damage to your bones and internal organs. A lot of the weight you gain won't be visible -- you can't see from looking at you whether or not you've gotten back to a healthy bone density, for example. I know you don't like doctors, but nobody on here can or should responsibly tell you whether or not you should stop gaining weight. That's a question that only a doctor can answer for you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I recently got my period for the first time in over 6 months! Which is partly why I think I'm healthy now. But I've been spotting on and off ever since. Why is that? Because I didn't get it for so long?
    P.S. I don't really like going to the doctor. They are annoying...
    '
    Let's be honest. They are annoying to you because they are telling you things that you don't want to hear.

I've successfully recovered from an ED but, even 15 years later, there are some issues I still deal with like IBS. When my period came back it took a while, maybe even 6 months, to get back to normal. It's just going to take time but, if you want to be healthy, then keep eating what you need to eat to get back to a healthy weight. Just because your period started again, that doesn't mean you are healthy. It means you are on the road to healthy.

I strongly suggest that you seek counseling to help you through the transition. This is not a judgement. It's very hard to mentally adjust to recovery and food and weight gain and talking to an expert will give you some coping skills.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your recovery. it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. one benefit of gaining that addition 7-8 pounds or so is to enforce and secure your recovery. The closer you get to a healthy bmi...the better chance you have of NOT giving in to ED behaviors. This is something I have often heard. Whether it plays out true in practice--likely depends heavily on the individual. But if gaining to 115 is overwhelming right now...just focusing on maintaining. Keep up with your meal plan, and if you exercise--OVER compensate for those calories to prevent a loss. Good luck.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am vey active. I ride/train/sell horses as part of my job.
    The problem is that when I do that I often burn 1000 cals in a day. So I've been eating like 3000 cals a day and only gaining very slowly. But when I eat 3000 cals I feel like I'm binging and I hate it! Also I feel like I've gotten quite big, which I know isn't true, but compared to 98 it feels true...
    Also I am vegan (something I'm not willing to give up) so it's hard to find enough cals in food to get my required amount....

You are still in recovery. Are you seeing a therapist? I say that only because you mentioned binging and feeling like you've gotten quite big...

Definitely ask your doctor.

You should eat more calorie dense foods. Nuts, avocado, cook your foods in olive oil, peanut butter. Protein shakes. All of those things can add calories.

^^^^^^^ This.

You have come very far and done a great job in your recovery, congrats! But you are still recovering. I can't say whether or not that weight is healthy for you, but the fact that you're hesitant to go up to 115 and trying to justify not doing so kind of stood out to me. Talk to your doctor and see what they say. Good luck to you! :)
  • marieuramaynard
    Options
    I was severely anorexic most of my life.
    My lowest was 80 lbs ,I had a heart attack. At age 30.
    Due to my illness.I have no immune system anymore.
    And have brittle bones.
    What you dont know is being that tiny and starving.yourself.your body starts
    To eat away at your fat what happens when.you have no fat exactly.
    I work hard everyday to make sure I eat .
    Nausea and shakiness and feeling like I might faint
    Are now an everyday occurance.
    I have to keep a calendar to make sure I have eaten.
    Because I forget to eat.I am a very active person.
    Eating.just is not a priority in my day.
    I have kept a weight of 135 for months now.
    I actually.looked at the scales again for the first time in 15 years.
    It started a month ago I sneak it.
    But ,I dont feel like im fat anymore .
    I get dissapointed in myself if I go below 135.
    It all started again because of people around me saying
    Girl you look better now you used to have dark circles under.your eyes and
    You were to skinny.you gained weight.good.for.you.
    I remember having.to shop in the little girl department to get jeans.
    Double.0's are not made for women.
    A year ago I would have picked up a.size one jean and been like ewwe.
    Now I pick it.up and say I wish I was that thin again. I will never win against
    My own battle but at least I know I can try to maintain a better weight.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    for me, issue = when i am not carrying enough calories on my person to do at least 1 hard burn (e.g. run >1 mi) without eating first, i am not carrying enough calories on my person. i know this happens around <115 for me (i'm 5'5" usually 120 lbs, trying to gain) but i don't pay attention to the scale. i mostly pay attention to how i am feeling, esp how i feel when i'm exercising. i'm a habitual undereater/overfaster, so i have a strange relationship with my hunger signals (they work, and i don't ignore them; i just like feeling hungry). i feel very, very wrong (and sick) if i feel like i don't have the wherewithall to get up and run away from danger at a eyeblink's notice. that is what "underweight" means to me, and it is an issue that i still struggle with occasionally.

ed for typo

eata INDIAN FOOD INDIAN FOOD INDIAN FOOD it never gets boring
  • kLPantera
    kLPantera Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't have much experience dealing with EDs, but I'll still give my two cents on what you can do.
    Lean meats, complex carbohydrates, adequate water hydration, healthy juices, and moderate amounts of strength training, Overtime you'll definitely gain healthy weight.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too fixated on that 115 number, the BMI scale isn't really a great marker for individuals.

What IS, though, is body fat percentage and yours is too low. Your body needs a certain amount of adipose tissue to function properly. For a female, maintaining a BF% that's too low has numerous potential health risks including infertility, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease. The lower it is, the more at risk you are. A healthy BF% for a woman in your age range is 18-24%.

You have done amazing so far! Get that BF% up to a healthy level. :)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I recently got my period for the first time in over 6 months! Which is partly why I think I'm healthy now. But I've been spotting on and off ever since. Why is that? Because I didn't get it for so long?
    P.S. I don't really like going to the doctor. They are annoying...

In recovery from an eating disorder, you NEED to go to the doctor. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but I have recovered from a restrictive eating disorder. I could not afford to see a doctor. No money, no medicaid, no insurance. I was miserable physically. If you CAN go to a doctor, you should.

Having a period means you're on the right track, but it does not mean you are healthy officially. That's a mistake a lot of women make when recovering. I skipped for six months, too. Had one again when I was still very unhealthy. They're not regular even to this day, though. The spotting is normal, in the beginning. I'm not sure the exact science behind that.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I am vey active. I ride/train/sell horses as part of my job.
    The problem is that when I do that I often burn 1000 cals in a day. So I've been eating like 3000 cals a day and only gaining very slowly. But when I eat 3000 cals I feel like I'm binging and I hate it! Also I feel like I've gotten quite big, which I know isn't true, but compared to 98 it feels true...

hey ashley, i know what you mean about feeling big. i ganed 20 pounds in my recovery and am back to a healthy weight for my height - 5'4 and 120 lbs.

as long as you are eating a healthy amount then your body will balance itself out to where it needs to be. as for the calories, i know it feels like binge eating and i am so glad to hear that although you burn a lot you are making sure you eat enough. try focussing on calorie dense foods to help get those numbers up without over eating, and to get healthy fats in as well.
    make sure you talk about this with your doctor to determine what a healthy weight for you is, and to make sure your levels are good and are getting essential nutrients.
    good luck in your recovery!
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone.
    One problem is that I'm a broke 21 year old student with zero extra money for doctors and therapists. So that isn't really an option. I went to a doctor for a bit when I was at a lower weight but I really don't have the money for that anymore...
    I'll try to keep gaining or at least maintaining.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get into 12 step for anorexics. (Look it up) If those meetings are not available go to OA (overeaters anon.) as they can and will help with ALL eating disorders. OA has saved the lives of my friends and it can help you, too.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When I was very underweight, I had heart problems. My brain-to-heart nerves didn't communicate well because there wasn't enough fat in the system. My heart would stop, sometimes 20 times a minute. Then, it would pick back up and many times "race." It landed me in the ER because I hyperventilated a lot due to feeling like my heart was running away from me. The doctors put a heart monitor on me for 24 hours to find this all out. They asked me to gain weight, stop skating/exercise until I gained weight, and never take any type of stimulant (like cocaine or even too much caffeine). I was about 102 (5'4") when I had this problem. When I got to about 115, I never had it again since. This was when I was 18 years old. I'm now middle-aged and am a little above the recommended weight. You are very courageous to attack your eating disorder and asked a wonderful question. I wish you best of everything. Does your school have a clinic or counselor? Also, usually each county has a health clinic. Don't ignore this.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    K I'll try to keep going. I think part of the problem is I have a lot of clothes that I bought when I was very underweight and they are tighter on me know and that makes me feel huge.
    Shopping spree? :tongue:

Hey girl! I suffered from anorexia a couple years ago and was about 95 pounds at my lowest. I was seeing a dietitian and theapist and they had my growth charts from the doctor to see how much I should weigh at my age based on a curve specific to me. The number that the charts showed was 122 pounds. I was stubborn and told my parents and dietitian that I was stopping at 110 lbs, no ands ifs or buts. I thought I was big enough, too, but I was still underweight. I hit about 125 pounds, and although it was 15 pounds more than where I'd wanted to stop, I was still far from heavy, and actually really thin still. I feel so much better now and although I have an occasional self-conscious thought, health-wise I am physically so much better. I don't get sick as much, I'm not cold as often, my hair doesn't fall out, I'm happier, I think sharper, things like that. I highly suggest stopping by the doctor's and getting your growth charts, because those have data on them from since you were a kid and will suggest an accurate number to be at in terms of weight. In terms of not having money to go to a doctor, you can seriously just call up your pediatrician or family doctor and they can print out the chart to get to you free of charge. Just tell them your dietitian wants to see it. (Even if that's a lie. Just so you can see it and get an idea. because if you were petite and underweight all your life then your projected number for being 21 years old might be different than a BMI number online. Or if you were muscular all your life, the growth chart will project for that when it gives you a goal number for being 21 years old now)

In terms of clothes, I wore 00s when I was at my lowest and now I wear 3s since I'm actually about 135 lbs right now. Anyway, It was hard at first to buy clothes bigger than what I had, but you have to realize the clothes you have were for when you were at a very unhealthy, sickly weight. (I was a senior in my acting class, and we all had to have matching pants and when a thin 7th grader came in with a pair of 00s when I realized how ridiculous I was being in not wanting to be bigger than that. At 17 years old, I shouldn't be the same jean size as an 11 year old.) So it's not normal to be at a healthy weight and still fit into the clothes you wore when you were at your lowest, unhealthy weight. So I decided to just get over the tags on my new jeans. To make myself feel better, after I bought them, I cut them out of my jeans. It doesn't help to remind yourself of your pant size if you're going to be caught up in the number being bigger than it was before. Also, throw your clothes away (or sell them to a consignment shop/Salvation Army etc.)from when you were 98 pounds. You're going to try to make yourself fit in them otherwise and when you don't fit in them, that won't help your confidence. I was way too tempted to lose weight again after I recovered when I still had my old 95 lb jeans I was tempted to fit into.

Good luck! Feel free to message me!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for a bit when I was at a lower weight but I really don't have the money for that anymore...

And just how much does it cost you to see a doctor?

(I too am from BC, Canada.)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Being underweight has never been an issue for me, and I'm now 50, but I've also never had an eating disorder.

I'm 5'9". When I was your age, I weighed between 103 and 107lbs. During one period of prolonged stress, I was as low as 97 lbs.

Over the years I've gradually put on about .5 lb per year. I'm currently 117, still technically underweight. I have VERY small bones.

My immune system is much better than average; haven't used a single sick day at work in the past 15 years or more. I get a regular cold maybe once every 3 or 4 years. I've been told by a few surgeons that I heal in half the time most people do.

I've never lost my periods (except following a hysterectomy, lol). I did have some very light barely-there periods in my early 20's.

Because I have a very strong family history of osteoporosis (and lifelong low dairy consumption due to lactose intolerance), I had a bone density scan done around age 40. No concerns were noted.

It's not all dire. :smile:
  • NutellaByTheSpoon
    Options
    I think your good now. Just as long as your healthy and not starving yourself. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Being underweight has never been an issue for me, and I'm now 50, but I've also never had an eating disorder.

I'm 5'9". When I was your age, I weighed between 103 and 107lbs. During one period of prolonged stress, I was as low as 97 lbs.

Over the years I've gradually put on about .5 lb per year. I'm currently 117, still technically underweight. I have VERY small bones.

My immune system is much better than average; haven't used a single sick day at work in the past 15 years or more. I get a regular cold maybe once every 3 or 4 years. I've been told by a few surgeons that I heal in half the time most people do.

I've never lost my periods (except following a hysterectomy, lol). I did have some very light barely-there periods in my early 20's.

Because I have a very strong family history of osteoporosis (and lifelong low dairy consumption due to lactose intolerance), I had a bone density scan done around age 40. No concerns were noted.

It's not all dire. :smile:

Bad advice to give someone recovering from an ED. Recovery rates are not stellar, can take YEARS and relapses are common. Just because it is not dire for you doesn't mean it isn't dire for someone else. Please think about that before telling somebody with an ED that it's fine.