WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Mix of good day , bad day. C'est la vie.

I am turning in for an early night. Love.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: I’m not feeling like the best mom in town right now, either. :frown: It is hard to be the mother of girls. My “girl” is in her 30’s and I still manage to say things that don’t go over at all well. :noway: Take care of yourself. :flowerforyou: The high blood sugars can be as much a product of stress, itself, as of whatever you may be eating. String cheese is WAY better than candy.:drinker:

Bonnie: I am so impressed with your bicycling. Twenty-two miles!:flowerforyou:

Heather: Happy anniversary! You are lucky to have such a great DH, and he is lucky to have you.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I hope you sleep well tonight. DH has already gone up to bed and it isn’t even 8:30 yet. He plans to read. Needing rest must be going around.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope that you are feeling better soon. Seeing an “old lady” fall into bicycles wouldn’t be amusing unless it was a scene in an old Charlie Chaplin or Marx Brothers movie.:noway: I’ve had low blood pressure in the past, and it wasn’t a serious health issue for me, but you have more health problems than I did back then. :flowerforyou:

Michele: The step-tracking app is for iphone 5S and was sent to me spontaneously as an update. I couldn’t find it in itunes just now. I know there is one for android, too. I found a FAQ within MFP App Gallery titled “What is the Calorie Adjustment in my Exercise diary?” I hope this will help you find it.:flowerforyou:

We stayed close to home today. We went shopping and got DH some new shirts, had lunch a Pizza place called Fultanos, checked out books from the library and I walked the dog. According to my phone, the walking was 6,956 steps and earned me 20 calories. It is a good thing I went to yoga, too! I’m drinking extra water to help wash out the salt from the pizza.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Meg – What an awesome use of a teachable moment – both the alcohol calculator and the no mother’s day celebration. You did amazing!!!
    And string cheese was a great choice… :happy:

Bonnie – what a challenge!

Rori – enjoy the cooking – I love the creating part and of course the eating part!!:drinker:

Carol – good luck with school stuff – financial aid is so important and to hear that both schools are fooling around with it sucks. Hope appointment at children’s goes well.

Sylvia – I am sure glad you were not hurt. Is the little pink bike for you? :bigsmile:

Michele – so glad you heard from Bryan! Perfect response to Vince about the filter – silly guy! I know you asked Carol about snacks but my current go to is the small (cherry or grape tomatoes) low calorie and some are really sweet.

back is only chatting with me when I lift too much - so I am back - Yeah!!! I can't imagine living with that all the time, one of us, Meg?? Rita??? has ongoing back issue - my heart goes out to you!

I got my marketing done for most of the rest of the week and the non-perishables for the weekend. It has gotten cool here we were in the 80's and it was staying warm into the evening, which is nice for backyard dinning but it has dropped into the high 60's during the day and 40-50's at night, so instead of a salmon salad when Karen comes thursday I am doing an asian shrimp soup and a noodle salad with pineapple/apricot crepes for dessert. Then salmon crepes for my mom for Mom's day.

Well tomorrow is a busy day and I am having lunch with my last boss - in 2008 I worked for our local newspaper as the manager of Telecom, got laid off and bought this embroidery business - well the boss that laid me off was laid off himself a couple of months later and we have stayed in touch - so we are meeting for lunch - he suggested a Mediterranean restaurant, and I said sure, looked it up online - so it's mediterranean sorta - eggplant pizza, fallafal pizza, meatball kabobs.... I picked a couple of things I think would work - no nutrition info on line, so it's a bit of a guess but it will be ok.

Smiles Kim
    in N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Last night I looked for some flax seed at Walmart and couldn't find any except for some Kashi go lean crunch which is almonds, honey and flax seed. So I thought i would give it a try. Tonight was the first night having it in my yogurt. My quacker oats product I was using had some pretty good size clusters but the moisture of the yogurt would let me kind of break them up with my spoon but this flax seed didn't work that way. So tomorrow I will have to break it up with a meat tenderizer or something before I put it inmy bowl. I guess there is less honey in it because it just didn't taste of sweet. I guess that should be a good thing. The carbahydrates were about the same in the Quacker vs the Kashi except that that the serving size for the Quacker was 1/2 cup and the Kashi 2/3 cup. I use half the serving, it would be to much for the 1/2 cup yogurt. So I may have to go back to the drawing board is breaking up these huge clusters doesn't work. I looked at Walmart.com and they do sell flax on line only. Sams sells some at the store. I'lll have to look when I pick up my medicine.

Michelle, so glad you heard from your son, he was thinking about you.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi VitF
    Vicki:flowerforyou: so much of great advice, hope you get over the pain ASAP, please be careful next time, maybe the rider didn’t realize you had not settled down before the bike moved

Sylvia :flowerforyou: hope you are fine and it didn’t sound like a joke, but I applaud your ability to laugh at yourself

Joyce :smile: that’s a nice way to deal with our belongings

Pat :grumble: that would throw me off too, I like Joyce’s suggestion, but be discreet before he thinks something else

Namacheri:brokenheart: that’s sad about your fishes, hope the rest do very well

Rori :love: My mom is doing well, thanks. In fact she is visiting my sisters in the USA, so had gone to help her pack and shut the house etc.I agree no harm in talking, maybe there’s something better waiting. Love to hear about your experiments in the kitchen, cheers!

Carol:smile: hope your son’s college works out and the medicals too. Good job planning the snack

Cindy in OK I remember Laurel and Hardy, they were so funny at that time :bigsmile:

Kim :smile: glad you are taking care of your back, it can be painful in so many ways
    l
    Katla :flowerforyou: seems like a good day nearly 7000 steps

Meg :flowerforyou: :love: sending you hugs and best wishes, the girls made terrible mistakes, but its your example which will steer them away from stupidity in future, take care of yourself
    Michelle :smile: great burn from your workout and good job on the sunscreen

Deedee!!!!!! Awesome NSVs:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    Yanniejannie !!!! :heart:
    Margaret !!!!!:drinker:

Janemartin hope the day turns out well :flowerforyou:

Bonnie:smile: that sounds like a great amount of cycling! Sorry about MIL

Heather such an inspiration! Happy anniversary!:flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:

Barbie:bigsmile: thanks for straightening out the priorities ! you are so right, to eat right and exercise should be our priority, this group is the bonus

Renny :bigsmile: you look glorious in these pics! Love the red dress!
    As for me, getting back on track, finished with an hour of yoga this morning and will do weights in the evening..planning to eat wisely:bigsmile:
    Best wishes to all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!:flowerforyou:

Katla - A Bank Holiday is indeed a day when the banks are closed as are most other public facilities like post offices, schools, doctors etc. Offices are nearly always shut. Of course the service industries have to work, so most shops, restaurants and most transport is running. We have two Bank Holidays in May. In France they have at least three and if one falls on a Thursday or a Tuesday a lot of people "faire un pont", which means "make a bridge" and take the intervening day off. The newspapers there are always complaining about the damage this does to the economy and school attendance. Over here ours are always on a Monday, apart from Boxing Day and New Year's Day. There is another one at the end of August. I have heard that Americans have less holiday than anyone else.

Michele - I don't believe there are any exercises thst you can do for loose skin. I have some on my tummy, but the worst of it is on my lymphodema arm. Apart from being fat it was also swollen with fluid, so now it has shrunk it is very baggy!:laugh: I do put cream on it, but I just have to live with it. Such a shame as the muscles underneath are now nicely defined and in much better shape than they have ever been, even when I was young. I always hated my arms and had serious arm envy of friends with shapely arms. Now, if I have my clothes on they look very nice! ! ! !:laugh:

Deedee - I love you getting those compliments. You go girl! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker:
    Like you I consider it impolite not to be cheerful with strangers and always have a ready smile. Men like that, I think.:bigsmile: I was never "pretty" as a young woman and always considered myself "plain", but I learnt by the age of about 13 that a happy smile goes a very long way with boys.:tongue: In the last two weeks I have been told by happily married men, in a kind of sheepish, embarrassed way, that I am "looking very well". I think that is socially acceptable speak for looking good.:drinker: :laugh: You are entitled to flirt all you like of course. I just have to smile and say, "Thank you, I am very well." :laugh:

Quite a lot of "fallers" recently. Joyce, Vicki, Sylvia and maybe others. I'm sure young people fall too, but we feel it more.:sad:

Rori - what a compliment to be headhunted! ! ! Yes, do have a discussion. :flowerforyou: One of my son's jobs was as a headhunter. He was headhunted for it! :laugh:

Namacheri - how heartbreaking for you with the fish. Devastating! I bet you knew each one individually.:brokenheart: :cry: HUGS.:flowerforyou:

Well my friends, I am off to France tomorrow morning. At least we now have a car with a big trunk so we can just throw stuff in and not have to squeeze supplies etc. We will be taking basic cooking stuff as it is self catering, but buy all fresh stuff over there. I will pick a big bunch of herbs today from the garden to take as I'm not sure what is in the garden of the house over there. I have my chilli I froze for the first night's meal and will just empty the fridge and take all that. I'm looking forward to our Sunday lunch at the nearest posh restaurant. :bigsmile:

Yesterday's lunch was lovely, but I ate and drank too much of course. I came back and did an extra session on the machines!:tongue: Still over, but limited the damage!:laugh: Not up this morning. Hooray!

Speak again tonight. We have no internet in the holiday house, so if I can't find a café it will be a week of silence from me. What a relief, you say!:laugh:

Heather in flowery Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    morning morning..
    I just woke up at 6 am, fell asleep at 7 pm, got 10 hrs of sleep:noway:
    I like getting to the gym early so will skip today and racewalk,,, if I exercise everyday and eat right I an do this...
    I dont go into work until 2 pm today so have alot of stuff to do...laundry and make the DH dinner and lunch...
    having my lemon water and then will get dressed and race walk for 45 minutes
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I have no time this morning:sad: ! I will try to check back in sometime today and chat a bit..I have so much to say:tongue::laugh: !

I`ve read all the posts:bigsmile: and thinking of you all:heart: and wishing you a wonderful day:flowerforyou: ! Ladies that are falling, do take care please!!! Hoping everyone is doing okay today:flowerforyou: !

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    So glad we are almost through the week. It's kinda sad that I live for week-ends but I do. I sure wish they didn't pass so quickly. I haven't heard anything from either daughter about Mother's day so we'll have to see. I believe DD#2 has to work, it is her last day as she turned in her notice due to the third child being due next month.
    I really need to get some work done around the outside of my house. This is when I miss having a husband. I need the porch, the window frames and the frame around the garage repainted, the door between my house and garage needs repaired because it won't shut and lock, things like that. I can get them done myself but it takes time and it seems I don't ever have that to spare.

Welcome Lily

Cindy OK, so glad your floors are done and are beautiful.

Vicki GI NE, you sure sound busy. I do hope you are feeling OK after your fall, not to sore.

Joyce IN, I’ve spoken with the police several times, I think next time instead of calling them I will try to use my phone to snap a picture. He is always gone by the time the police get there and he always appears in the morning before work when I need to leave and not wait around for the police.

Kim S Cal, I do check before going out but never see him. He must watch until he hears the garage door. I don’t know if he is a neighbor but I do know he has bothered other women in my neighborhood.

Meg Omaho, My heart goes out to you. You are right, you have to take care of yourself. We are here for you.

Bonnie NC, Sounds like you have your hands full with your MIL. Does DH help when he’s home?

Rori Colorado, No suggestions for water but I like your idea of cooking from scratch. I have been logging in a book how I feel after eating and am noticing that I feel more joint pain and much foggier when I eat processed foods.

Michele NC, Funny what they say about a son, I have two daughters and I get bummed at how busy the oldest is and how little I hear from her anymore. She and I talked daily when the grandkids were small.

Out of coffee and I guess I should get to work anyway.
    Take care all, wishing good health and happiness to all!
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Slow and steady is the way I guess. The side effects of the anti cancer drug tamoxifen is weight gain so I guess if I am even down half a pound that is a win.

I was 60 yesterday and my bosses insisted in buying me lunch so guess where my planned salad went!!! Better luck today

Susan
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Beautiful Ladies!

No time right now, I have a hair appointment and must rush. After that we are returning the unused flooring. I will catch up later. Wishing each of you a beautiful day!

Cindy in OK:flowerforyou:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! A quick visit to say some stuff before I forget...

Sylvia - I don't know how vigilant you are about drinking water, but my blood pressure dropped considerably for a while and, even though I did need to decrease a med, the doctor did warn me that dehydration would cause the low blood pressure. Indeed, I had not been drinking like I usually do because I was dealing with biopsies and surgeries for myself in addition to dealing with my son. As far as eating the chocolate, if your instincts led you to that, it may have been because your blood sugar was low. Just my thoughts...

Michele - I usually try to pack a snack that is easily portable and quick and discreet to eat. That usually means a protein bar or a 100 calorie pack of almonds. Sometimes the children in the waiting room are without food while waiting for testing so I try not to eat unless I have to. It is always an odd feeling when waiting there anyway because most of the children are infants and preschool aged and Andrew is 6'3" with a full beard. However, it has been recommended that we keep him in pediatrics as long as possible because the care is more individualized and response time is better is an appointment is needed. We just always share a few laughs with the staff because the nurses can't reach the top of his head to measure him and they do a double take when the walk into the room and see him.

Well, I'm off to get some work done and breakfast eaten before I head to Durham. Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi all, not posting much; I'm very sad about Charlie the cat, who will be put to sleep tomorrow. He has no real chance of getting better and he's getting weaker. He still purrs if I pet him, etc. I just don't want to wait until he's so ill he can't get up or something like that. It's hard.
    Cynthia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Aw, so sad about Charlie. There are some things a person never forgets. I had Cocoa the cat for 21 years. Didn't take her when she was put to "sleep" but I can still remember her smell 25+ years later. I held Gypsy the cat when they gave her the shot, she was 19. It's been almost 2 years and I'll never forget that last little breath. Was still glad I was there for her when I didn't think I could do it. Be strong. xo

Speaking of emotions, the first Mother's Day without a mother has been much harder than I ever expected.

Just finished my workout and have to get busy. Will check in later.

xo- Gloria from soggy Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Kim - the pink bike is for my older granddaughter. The younger girl got one for her birthday and last time they were over she had a ball trying to learn to ride. The older girl was sad because she didn't have one. She used to, but it got left behind in a "fleeing town in the middle of the night" move. They are coming over to play after school today, and I can't wait to see her face when she sees it. I hope she can remember how to ride because it doesn't have training wheels. The little guy doesn't have one either, so with my next paycheck I'll get him one. In the meantime I got him a soccer ball.

Carol-I think you are right about the water. In the hospital my BP dropped because I was dehydrated. I was in such a rush to get things done yesterday I didn't take any water with me. And it was hot and sunny outside. Three of my BP meds tell me to stay out of the sun, so that could be part of it too. The chocolate was the pharmacist's idea. He may have suspected my blood sugar was low. I think the water helped more than the chocolate, but chocolate sure can't hurt!

Cynthia - I'm so sorry about Charlie. It's really hard to go through that. Hugs!

We are leaving for Minnesota tomorrow morning, so I have a lot more to do today to get ready. Already I've done a load of laundry and a load of dishes. I cleaned out the refrigerator, so there dishes from that and tonight's supper will create lots of dirty dishes, so I'll need to run one more load. And run the vacuum. I love to come home from a trip to a clean house.

I bought all kinds of crafty stuff so the kids can make something for their two moms and their other grandma, so that will be fun this afternoon. Bought a low temp glue gun. Hopefully they can use it without getting burned.

Well, I have to get busy. I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - I am so sorry about your Charlie. It does hurt when we lose a furbaby. :brokenheart: (((((hugs)))))

Gloria - I don't even want to imagine Mother's Day without my mother. This will be a year of firsts and, as I understand it, they will all be difficult. All I can say is that I'm thinking of you and to squeeze your little Aaron extra long for the joy that brings.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there, happy Weds.

My trip was great, had wonderful time with my mom and family, it was such fun seeing everyone. I ate too much as is usually the case when I visit there. This too shall pass. :bigsmile:

My dear friends, I need some help here in a big way :flowerforyou: Calling all positive thinkers and prayer warriors to gather forces! Some of you might recall my great niece Mairah, now 10 yrs old, had a brain tumor removed last year, but I'm sorry to report the cancer has returned and she'll go for another brain surgery soon, followed by radiation. The particular cancer is one of the worst, the chances of recovery slim, especially when it makes a comeback like this. :brokenheart: All we can do is hope, and wait, and send an army of love and prayers. Thank you in advance.

:smile: jb in beautiful, sunny Portland
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Thursday Morning {or} Evening To All;

:happy: Carol> I had the same trouble with my BPressure..had to drop a pill fr a med { we tried several till we got the right one}..I would get *fainting symptoms* several times a day..do not get them as much now..{once or twice every 2 wks}

:happy: Susan> Happy Happy 60th!! 1108154deo8hm0wi2.gif....I have several pills that can cause weigt gain and it is a struggle to lose lb's

:happy: Heather > Enjoy your trip!!

:happy: Sylvia > That must have been scary..I have done this at home but not outside anywhere...I get frustrated and embarrassed..even tho I know it is not my fault...take care!

:happy: Joyce > What a super way of each member getting something of their GM's to have..simple and less stress..

:happy: Rori> I use the Crystal Lights to flavor my water..

:happy: Bonnie> 22 miles is a *short* bike ride :noway: :noway: ...Not for me..a foot and I would be on the ground groaning :blushing:

:happy: Sometimes our children hurt us and it doesn't hurt to let them know it...I pray yours will come back asking forgiveness and giving love :heart:

:happy: Kim > Glad your back is doing better!

:happy: Namacheri > Sorry about your fish...

:happy: Jane > hope the ultrasound comes back good...

:happy: Vicki> Grandkids are super fun to be with :heart:

:happy: Cynthia > Sorry about your cat..they are our fur babies..sending soothing thoughts..

:happy: Gloria> Think about all the good times you had with your mom....know that she knew you loved her...light a candle in memory...my DH has his first one this year too...it will be sad but also the happy times will help...:heart:

I still am not exercising like I should be..just exhausted all the time...will have a nap later...Have a great Sunshiny Day to all!! :heart:

Liz fr Halifax NS
    725699m2w4tw2kc9.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Vicki GINE: I’m sure I’ve mentioned that we have friends who were in the CMA for several years. Due to declining health they sold their motorcycle and are now avid RV travelers. I doubt I told you the story of the first time we ever encountered the CMA in person. It was about 10 years ago, give or take. We’d gone to Montana to visit our daughter, had a grand time seeing Yellowstone, and were on our way home. Driving through a long stretch of Idaho wilderness in the Craters of the Moon area we came into an intense rainstorm. We finally spotted a little restaurant at a crossroads and pulled in. The parking lot was full of big motorcycles and we wondered what we were getting into, but we went in anyway. Bottom line, we “got into” a restaurant filled with the nicest people we’d met in a long while. They introduced themselves and told us all about the CMA.:flowerforyou:

Janemartin: I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good news from the ultrasound.:flowerforyou:

Namacheri: What kind of fish do you have in your ponds? I’m sorry you lost so many when the pump died. I hope it never happens to you again.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I am so glad you heard from Bryan! :bigsmile: I don’t know why I missed that important fact when I read your message yesterday. As I looked for the step counting app I finally realized that it was an update from MFP and they sent it out to people with phones that have the ability to report motion.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Thanks for explaining the Bank Holidays. We have a number of national holidays and many have been shifted to Fridays or Mondays if they don’t fall naturally adjacent to a weekend. The Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years are celebrated on their correct date regardless of weekends. Enjoy your trip to France! :flowerforyou:

Patty: I hope you get a clear picture of your flasher so you can give it to the police.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: So sorry to hear about your kitty. Sending virtual hugs.:cry::flowerforyou:

Sylvia: We got our DGD a little pink ”bike” for her third birthday. It looks like a bike but has no pedals. The child sits on the seat and pushes with their feet. The “bike” eventually teaches them to balance on a real bike without resorting to training wheels.:flowerforyou:

JB: I do remember our prayers for Mariah. I’m putting your whole family in my prayers now, and hope you get a miracle.:flowerforyou:

DH wants to go to the beach for an overnight and says we need to go today or we’ll miss the good weather there. I hope we can get off our duffies and go.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day~~
    Dr called with the results from ultrasound,have to see gyn dr.
    Have a good one-70`s today.
    hugs
    jane