How long in the gym...

Options
Hello! New(ish) to working out, and would like advise from amateur body builders or fitness aficionados on how long do you normally spend in the gym in your typical session.

I am overweight cca 28% body fat and my goal is twofold, getting lean and build muscle (definition mainly).

So what's a good time? 30m, 45m, 2h? What if you were to break it down in sets and reps? I personally can only commit to 3 sessions a week, but doing my cardio outdoors on the other days, running, walking and swimming sometimes.

Would love to hear people's view and actual routines that work for you.

Thank you,
Ciprian

Replies

• RossUK88
    RossUK88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    However long it takes to finish a work out really.
    A few times I've finished a workout and it feels like I've been in there only 20 minutes (actual time of 45mins) and felt like I needed to do more despite being completely drained of energy.

I tend to do 5 different exercises for the muscle group I'm working on with 3 to 5 sets, throw in some cardio after and I'm done.

If you come out of the gym with some energy left, you weren't in there long enough is my view.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I you are going to do 3 days/week I would suggest a full body routine. Check out the book/routine, starting strength, or stronglifts 5x5. Starting strength will take a little less time as there are less working sets, but very similar programs. Should take you 40-45mins, depending on rest/recovery needed between sets, my need up to an hour at most.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the routines in New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. These are whole body routines and I work out 3 days per week. The workouts change every 4 weeks approximately. Each workout phase has two or more routines that are alternated. Each workout takes 60-70 minutes. These workouts require some upfront planning time but the results are worth it!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm only in the gym for 15 minutes. I'm more about building a habit to go 3 times a week now, depends on my mood, energy and schedule how long I go.

Most of the times I average around 45 minutes total
  • tpncc
    tpncc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do 30-45 min. each session. One of the hardest adjustments was learning to not 'hang around' the gym. Instead, have your program in hand, go in, do the reps and get out. After a while, you'll appreciate the extra time available for the rest of your day. Sorry #RossUK88, but if you smoke each session, you're ripe for burn-out in a few weeks. The 'spend all your energy' approach just doesn't work for most.

As far as the program, look up Dan John on YouTube, web. He is the Godfather of Squats and Ultimate Strength. Started following his programs about a year ago and have made huge gains, flexibility and am much happier about my self and my workouts.

I stick with the five major movements instead of Arm-day, leg-day, back-day, no life-day... Do an exercise in each of the five major movements and you are good to go in 30 - 45 min.

1) Loaded carry - Farmer's Walk, suitcase, waiter carry, or combos.
    2) Squat - always squat... Loaded or unloaded - Look up Squat 101 to avoid all the mistakes.
    3) Hinge motion - kettle swings, Oly progressions,
    4) Pull motion - Rows, pull ups
    5) Pushes - push ups, bench (incline is my choice of self torture)

A typical workout for me is:
    Farmer's walk - 150 - 270 lbs 60 feet up stop 60 back. Length of the gym. Working up to 120 stop and 120.
    Squat - 20-30 unloaded to work flexibility. 5 sets of 3/5 at 180 - 270.
    Hinge - KB swings - 50 swings each hand at 35lb -- Snatch progressions or Clean progressions weight is light to moderate
    Pull - Low row and bar hang, pull up. I can now do 3 wide grip pullups (I still weigh 270) working on 10
    Push - incline bench - 5 sets at 5/7 to 3/5 135 warmup then 225/275/315/275/225

I was horrible at trying to remember if today is legday, back, neck, right forearm and left calf with abs thrown in day. And there was always someone doing curls in the squat rack when I needed to front squat. But moving from body parts to motions simplified my workout and my mood.

I did not start seriously working out until I was 55, almost 57 now. Weighed 320 and could not walk up and down stairs. Hard time breathing and was miserable. Went to see my gym training and got into body building routine and really hated it. I was spending more time planning my workouts than actually working out.

I am now 270, running up and down stairs, flexibility is much better, bench press 335, squat 415, deadlift 455. Still learning the Oly lifts, but love them. Snatching a little over 150 and cleaning around 250.. Light, but good for me.

Hope this helps, it only gets better.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym because it's nice enough to run outside and my pole dancing gives me excellent strength training.
    Dance can go from 50 minutes to 3 hours depending on the day and how much time I have available. I also work for an hour or so on the pole at home.
    It varies for me depending on how much time I have. I aim for 45 minutes-1 hour generally speaking.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the varied responses... keep them coming :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my weight training takes about 75mins...SL 5x5

my cardio (walk) or HIIT is usually 30mins

Bike rides (when they start) will vary

Swimming...again will vary...

In total I usually exercise 8-10 hours a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Till I'm done.

Which is usually the better part of 2 hours- add in dance or cardio and it's easily 3.
  • JohnIVC
    JohnIVC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Weight Days - Strong lifts 3 days a week = 40 mins + 20min cardio

Cardrio days - 3 days a week - 45 minutes + cool down

Never at the gym much more than an hour
  • JohnIVC
    JohnIVC Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Weight Days - Strong lifts 3 days a week = 40 mins + 20min cardio

Cardrio days - 3 days a week - 45 minutes + cool down

Never at the gym much more than an hour
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 40-45minutes. I do 3 sessions of Stronglifts 5x5 a week. I take shorter breaks on my first exercise (Squats) and longer breaks on my second and third exercise (OHP takes the longest breaks cause they are hardest for me) because I'm more tired at that time.
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    It really depends.
    I usually spend about 45 minutes during weight training days (usually 2 days a week), but that could be longer depending on how packed the gym is. (I usually start with a 3 minute cardio, and end with a cool down stretch and maybe a walk on the treadmill)
    On my one cardio day I usually do about 30 minutes and a cool down.
    On top of that, I try to do one day of a 15 minute core work out at home.

Sometimes I feel like I never want to leave (I never thought I would ever say that!), especially on weight days. Once I start not finishing sets because I hit failure on days like that, I stretch and leave.

I'm just a beginner, and my schedule as a college student is never the same week to week so sometimes I work out less sometimes more. But I'm planning on upping my days in the gym very soon.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Find a good workout routine that has you lifting 3x/week. Since you're new to this, Full Body workouts are going to give you the best results. As mentioned, programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc. are excellent beginner programs for building strength and can be done in an hour or less for a newbie.

Personally, when I lift it takes 60-70 minutes to complete the workout/s. Usually I do HIIT for cardio (on a it's own day) so that takes no longer than 20-30 minutes, unless I decide to do something like a bike ride which is usually 60+ minutes.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do 30-45 min. each session. One of the hardest adjustments was learning to not 'hang around' the gym. Instead, have your program in hand, go in, do the reps and get out. After a while, you'll appreciate the extra time available for the rest of your day. Sorry #RossUK88, but if you smoke each session, you're ripe for burn-out in a few weeks. The 'spend all your energy' approach just doesn't work for most.

I like this, I'm the same way
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week (one muscle group per day alternating legs and abs) and my workout can be from 60-70 minutes depending on what I'm doing.

I'm not "hanging around" the gym either however I am taking my time and when I lift and doing several exercises to hit the targeted muscle so by time I'm done with my workout I'm pretty fatigued.

I used to do cardio before I lifted but now I've switched (training for a race) and have been doing it in the afternoon and I like it better. It breaks up the day and it's another bonus workout. I plan on keeping that schedule.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm in there for 45 minutes. Other days, it's 3 hours. All depends on my energy levels and time. I work out my whole body about 4 days a week with weights, with the other days being just outdoor running with maybe some elliptical
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Lol, I work in the gym so till my sessions are done.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For working out though, 30-45 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Took me 2 hours in the stupid gym last night...not only was I dragging my *kitten*, but people were driving me nuts. It was a rough one, but I usually spend about 60 minutes to 90 minutes in the gym mixing weights and cardio. I try and get 90 minutes in if I'm doing yoga and cardio.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing stronglifts 5x5 and I'm at the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings before work. Workout A (squats, bench, row takes me about 45 minutes), Workout B (squats, press, deadlift) takes me about 30 minutes. Then I add in additional arm exercises like curls, extensions, and kickbacks and some ab workouts like hanging leg raises. My additional exercises usually take about 30 mins. Plus I like to stretch before and after. Sometimes I sleep in late and only have time to do my program routine, like this morning.

In sum: anywhere from 30 mins to 1.5 hours