Help me pick a vacation spot!

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What's with all the Sea World hate? I've been wanting to go since I was like eight years old!

We may just be big kids, but Sea World is a blast. It's all the PETA folk that have a problem with it.

All of the "romantic" vacation ideas bore the hell out of me. If we wanted to lay around and have sex all day, we'd do that at home. We don't have children, so we go on vacation to do stuff, not do each other.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    You're much more likely to be bored at an all-inclusive resort in Cabo than you are on the cruise, seriously.

Take the cruise, and scrap that "interior room" nonsense! Exterior room with a balcony, it's totally worth it!

(Save the tourist trap that is Orlando for when you do have kids)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I say Cabo while you have the chance!:happy:
    After you have kids, things get a little more...complicated.

If I ever have the chance to vacation again I'd like to go to
    Charleston, South Carolina
    or Key West, Florida
    or go back to Sorrento, Italy...for the food. :love:
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What's with all the Sea World hate? I've been wanting to go since I was like eight years old!

The whales. Many people watched Blackfish and decided Sea World was not something they wanted to support. I don't like Sea World for a variety of reasons, one of which is that here in San Antonio teenage lifeguards often complain that they are not given breaks or water adequately. It is referred to as Slave World. But that's for another website and discussion...

If you really want to see whales it is best to see them in their natural habitat, which is entirely possible. :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    You're much more likely to be bored at an all-inclusive resort in Cabo than you are on the cruise, seriously.

Take the cruise, and scrap that "interior room" nonsense! Exterior room with a balcony, it's totally worth it!

(Save the tourist trap that is Orlando for when you do have kids)

I'm sure it is worth it, but there's the issue of affording it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I say Cabo while you have the chance!:happy:
    After you have kids, things get a little more...complicated.

If I ever have the chance to vacation again I'd like to go to
    Charleston, South Carolina
    or Key West, Florida
    or go back to Sorrento, Italy...for the food. :love:

Well, living in South Carolina, I've been to Charleston about a zillion times. It's nice maybe once or twice, especially if you're into beaches, shopping, and historical tours, but it gets mighty old after awhile. The aquarium there sucks, so be forewarned.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I vote for the cruise. You get to see several different places in a short time, so you won't be bored.

Regarding the food issue, I've cruised on Carnival several times and enjoyed the food very much. There are lots of different options. When you eat in the dining room, you can always send it back if you don't like it and order something different. Alcohol can be expensive, but they will let you bring a bottle of wine on when you board. So if you just want a glass of wine before dinner you're all set. :)

If you're cruising out of a FL port, you should be able to get a balcony stateroom on a 5 or 6 day Caribbean cruise for $800 or less per person. That might leave a little room in your budget for some excursions. THAT's where the fun is! Enjoy!!!
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I got bored out of my mind on the only cruise i took, and it was a nice one. I prefer the freedom of being able to go where i want, when I want. the best part of the cruise for me was when we stopped at various islands (on a schedule, though).

If you're not looking for a romantic vacation, I'd go to Orlando, rent a car and not worry about a spur-of-the-moment idea throwing you off budget

just a minority opinion thrown in....
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would go with option 2!

My husband and I went to Mexico for our honeymoon years ago, it was awesome! We did an all-inclusive as well. The food was not bad. They actually made more American entrees over Mexican entrees.

They had lots of activities going on and then you could also sign up for additional activities. We did pay for some additional activities, but it isn’t a must. I would check your hotel to see what activities are included in your package.

I would also like to say, from a mother of two, go now…you can go back to Florida when you have kids but a trip to Mexico might be a bit tougher. Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy your vacation!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I got bored out of my mind on the only cruise i took, and it was a nice one. I prefer the freedom of being able to go where i want, when I want. the best part of the cruise for me was when we stopped at various islands (on a schedule, though).

If you're not looking for a romantic vacation, I'd go to Orlando, rent a car and not worry about a spur-of-the-moment idea throwing you off budget

just a minority opinion thrown in....

That's what I'm thinking. I like being able to get in the car and drive around or go eat at a restaurant of our choice. No need to rent a car, though. We'd be making the 8 hour drive there and back. Saves a bunch on air fare.
  • tengounnombre
    tengounnombre Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the Blackfish propaganda supporters, I'm from Orlando and I vote against it. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but the fact that you've been here before and have thoughts that you'll be back with kids make me say to wait until then. Orlando doesn't change that much over a few years' time and will still be just as good -- if not better -- when you're able to experience it with your offspring.

I think the cruise would be your best bet. There's something going on almost every minute of the day there, plus all of the excursions (which are often extra costs, but there are things to do for 6-8 hours that are only $10 or so a person), and the shows... And the food is so varied that even the pickiest eater I know (seriously only eats 4-5 dishes and cereal / bread. Yeah.) found enough to eat that she gained 15lbs in 5 days lol.

Plus, cost inclusive makes things a lot easier to budget for.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the cruise, the drinks are very expensive and you can’t even walk onboard with a bottle of water.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Cabo! Just sounds the most fun to me.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    100% cabo - you'll be fine with the food and the all-inclusives are awesome. When my husband and I went to Riviera Maya we spent NO extra money.

Orlando = save for the kids and you've already been there, Cruise = went on one FOR FREE once to great destinations and was SO annoyed with all the trashy people on the boat. I was a few years younger than you and everyone was much older than me, constantly stuffing their faces and there was a lot of skeet shooting - all the time - which does not make the pool deck relaxing and nobody to hang out with because everyone else was with groups. Go to the Ocean in Mexico while you can without kids - drink mudslides and lounge in the pool and dip in the ocean. If you can go to an adults-only resort I would highly recommend it.

HAVE FUN - you look great and you're going to rock a bikini!!
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cruise! You will NOT be bored, plus the food is amazing!

As for Sea World, I've had an annual pass to the San Diego Sea World for at least 15 years. The cruelty to animals thing is PETA talking. Sea World rescues and rehabilitates more sea life than most people will ever know about.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I vote for the cruise too. The theme parks are great and I've been to all of them in Florida many times but you've been there, done that. And you will do that again with kids (although a MUCH different experience!)

Never been to Cabo but I've done all inclusives in Jamaica and been to Mexico several times. I tend to be "frugal" so if I've already paid for something I'm sure as heck not going to go somewhere else and pay again (such as leaving the resort for dinner or other activities). So if the food isn't good, I'd still be eating it rather than going elsewhere! I think you'd get bored at an all inclusive especially since you do live in the South. It would be one thing if you were from Minnesota and recovering from this past winter and all you want to do is chill on the beach, snorkel and lounge but you guys sound more active than that.

I've been on a bunch of cruises on most of the major cruiselines and do think that would be your best bet.. Carnival is NOT bad. It has a bad rap because of the issues last year (and I was on one of those cruises and would still sail with them again) and because it does such a huge volume of business you get quite the cross section of folks. (makes for some great people watching!) Additionally, if you go on one of their shorter sailings or over a school break (doesn't sound like your window though) it can be quite the party scene.

Go to cruise.com and enter your dates. Then pick an itinerary that has places you want to go and few sea days (although I love the sea days for the relaxation part!). Check out Cruisecritic.com for recent reviews of the ships you are looking at and go on the forums there for every piece of information you would ever want about cruising. I really suggest you try and at least get an oceanview if a balcony is out of your price range but I've got a friend who fits their entire family of 4 in an inside cabin and saves her money for excursions! (somebody in my family would die if we tried that!) Once you've chosen an itinerary, find some cool, unique excursions to do. You do NOT have to do them through the ship and that's where cruiscritic can come in handy.

Food is very subjective on a cruise but what I found was the "better" cruiselines were trying to give Top Chef quality food experiences for 2-3000 people and it didn't take. Carnival on the other hand just made good food. I'd say Outback level vs. a high end steakhouse. I have never gone hungry on any cruise I've been on and neither have my picky kids or complaining husband. Some of the food is absolutely delicious!

Can you tell I love cruises and think you should go on one lol?!

Come back and let us know what you decide!!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the cruise, the drinks are very expensive and you can’t even walk onboard with a bottle of water.

Not true and most cruiselines I've been on allow 1-2 bottles of wine per of age passenger. I think Royal Caribbean may not but Princess, Carnival and Holland America allow it as well as soda. Mixed drinks are expensive though (unless you find a way to smuggle your own.....)
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    now I want to go on a cruise. But really I already have kids and we do our trips camping with family, at a lake cabin, or to cool places for kids and such right now (and Egypt every couple of years to visit my husband's family).

But...

When my kids are old enough to dump on my folks for awhile my husband and I are off to Rome without them as the only time we were there we had my daughter and I was expecting my son and we both loved it so much that we said we will be back without the kids. Probably can do it in a couple of years so I should start saving :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I would opt for Cabo. Cabo is great...lots of fun. I like traveling to Mexico and Central American countries (I love Belize just as a side note).

I personally find cruises to be boring and I don't like the fact that you pull into port and just have a couple hours or whatever...I like to spend a lot more time at actual destinations and taking in the culture and seeing more than just the tourist boardwalk where you dock. I know a lot of people who cruise and they're all, "yeah...I've been to Roatan, Honduras (another of my favorites)...and I'm like, "yeah, no...you pulled into port for a couple hours and then were off...you saw about 1/100th of the island and witnessed very little of the culture...so you really haven't "been there." To that end, I would also not opt for an all inclusive resort that I would likely never or rarely leave...I like being out and about.

Hold off on Orlando until you have kids and they're a bit older...that'll be fun; we're looking forward to that in another 2 years or so.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    OPTION TWO
    Things to do: We'd be staying at an all-inclusive resort on the beach.
    Significance: We've never been out of the country on vacation and it seems like a pretty popular vacation spot.
    Pros: It's a new experience for both of us, a nice resort, food and flight included in the price. It would be about $2200 for the package. Unlike Orlando, it's a place we probably won't go with kids.
    Cons: We'd have to be really careful what we spend while we're there, because $2000 was our original budget. We're worried we won't like the food at the resort, but we'd be stuck with it. We're concerned about other costs that we may not be considering. I'm also worried about being bored - I'm not a "go on vacation to relax" type of person. I want to go do fun stuff!

This, right here. Keep in mind though.. just because you have kids doesn't mean you can't travel out of the country. It might be so for the first year and a half or so for convenience sake but introducing a child to other cultures at a very young age will do nothing but benefit them as they grow up. I have many, many friends who travel every year and bring their kids with them, just a thought!