Is walking a legitimate exercise?

Options

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i was fat in 8th grade and that summer i ate reasonably and became a golf caddie (so i'd walk 5 miles a day, 7 days a week) and i went from 185 at like 5'6 to 153 at 5'8 just over 2-3 months
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I sure hope the 98 miles I walked last month was an exercise, or I sure wasted a lot of time!

Funny. Nope, you didn't waste any time. However, having to explain how walking could be exercise may be a waste of time.
    And kudos on 98 miles - wow.

Yes
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so, I did 2 hours at a brisk pace on the treadmill this morning!
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it to be on the same level as running for my body and I don't independently log it. However, I aim to get ~10,000 steps a day with my FitBit which inputs some of this back into MFP as exercise.

I have Fibromyalgia and running is really hard on my body on certain days. Walking is an alternative to sitting around watching Netflix because I feel too ****ty to do much else.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run marathons in the mud & get chased by zombies, but my knees won't let me.

Five years of eating better & walking helped me lose 40 pounds ...... after that I joined a gym for biking, elliptical, weights, yoga & Zumba ...... but walking is still my exercise of choice :heart:
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't consider it to be on the same level as running for my body and I don't independently log it. However, I aim to get ~10,000 steps a day with my FitBit which inputs some of this back into MFP as exercise.

I have Fibromyalgia and running is really hard on my body on certain days. Walking is an alternative to sitting around watching Netflix because I feel too ****ty to do much else.

I disagree with that part. I can't do much running right now. Doctor's orders because my knees have been replaced with a bunch of junkyard scrap metal. Initially I thought walking was stupid. I now walk 10-12 miles, uphill, 6 days a week. Even at my best there's no way I could run that. Does walking take longer? Yes. Given how long I can sustain either exercise, does walking burn more calories than running? You bet it does.
  • MoosyGoosy
    MoosyGoosy Posts: 44
    Options
    Walking is great. So many people in my friend group just walk everywhere they need to go, and they're all fit and healthy (even though they eat a whole pizza for a single meal).

If you regularly walk 7 km to get to town and 7 km back, it doesnt even feel like exercise because you're going somewhere you need to go! Plus you're usually with a friend (and drunk).
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Race walking is an olympic event. There are thousands of people around the globe who are in great shape, and use walking as their primary form of exercise. You can walk for a stroll, but if you want to you can REALLY push walking into a conditioning exercise that will challenge the hell out of you. Speed or race walking works your body in a completely different way than running or jogging. Two of my best friends are runners, both are lighter than me, yet they can not keep up with me when I'm walking at a fast pace (and that's slower than my full on exercise pace). Other speed walkers have similar stories.

For those interested in walking as a form of serious, challenging exercise, check this site out:
    http://www.racewalk.com/howto/introduction.asp

But you do not have to take it to the point of speed walking in order to get many of the benefits of walking. It's a great form of exercise, period.
    I have met far too many old people (I mean, like... *really* old people) who credit loads of walking with their continued abilities to do things like live independently and, ya know... continue being actually alive, to think that walking isn't good enough as exercise. If all you do is walk, you're still way better off than you would be if all you do is hang out watching TV.

My grandmother, who is 88 this month, has had walking as her sole form of exercise for several decades. I was told she actually use to be heavier but, along with her older sister, went on a diet back in the 70s and slimmed down. Walking is the only exercise she does.

She's in better shape, and is more active and agile, than the majority of her 10 children.
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i had an injured foot with other health problems that affected my ability to walk,, and i gained 3 lbs,, never the less i did what i could,, and to move is better than not moving,, you know. So ya walking is defiantly exercise!! Congrats on them 2 miles!
  • sandmama
    sandmama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost 30 pounds along with a diet deficit. It wasn't even super fast. I put both kids on their bikes, the Chihuahua on a leash and we would walk 2 miles around the neighborhood every evening.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not at this point anymore for me.
    Walking level 4mph is barely hitting 90 bpm HR, the line usually for splitting non-exercise and exercise.

If I wear a 20 lb backpack, now up to 120. Add hills, 130-140.
    Now that's getting me to the top of my Recovery HR zone.

So at any of those points it a good exercise for recovery from day prior and it's workout.

But it's not a workout that will cause any improvement on it's own for me. Burns a few more calories, but not much more for the time involved.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great place to start. I push myself on my walks, and at some point pushing myself is going to get me into jogging and then into running.

Thats what did it for me! walking.... but I would get impatient and started jogging. NOW I walk for pleasure and jog and run to push myself. Walking is a GREAT form of exercise, as long as it is raising your heart rate. To tone or sculpt you need other exercises but walking is a great cardio work out.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Walking fast is actually better than running if you have joint problems.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of people saying "walking won't get you in shape", and "that's not exercise". What's your view on this subject? I walked two miles today. Was that exercise?

Did you push yourself? For some people walking two miles is work. For others it's not. I don't call it exercise for me. For you it may be. It depends.

What I was gonna say. :)
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I took off a decent amount of weight several years back with nothing but eating right and walking. I was dealing with some kind of injury (forget what), and put on some weight. I wasn't able to run for a while, but walking regularly helped big time. So, yes, it IS exercise.
  • TheWorstHorse
    TheWorstHorse Posts: 185
    Options
    I walked my first twenty pounds off after surgery; it was all i was allowed to do. starting with five minutes a day and working my way up to an hour and gradually increasing the pace. I have lost thirty pounds so far and while I doing more intense cardio now, I still walk everyday. Some days, like today, it is the only exercise I get.

Yes, it is exercise. Yes, it improves your cardiac and general fitness. And yes, you can lose weight through a combination of calorie intake management and walking, without any other exercise.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Boy I sure hope so, because if it doesn't then the 70+ pounds I've lost walking and eating right are a lie.

Exactly what I was going to say, except I've lost a little bit more.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's how I stayed in shape while preggers with both boys. I didn't want to kick box or overheat myself with a traditional workout. BTW, that was a personal choice every woman needs to make her own.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. So many people in my friend group just walk everywhere they need to go, and they're all fit and healthy (even though they eat a whole pizza for a single meal).

If you regularly walk 7 km to get to town and 7 km back, it doesnt even feel like exercise because you're going somewhere you need to go! Plus you're usually with a friend (and drunk).

That's one of the million things I love about living in NYC. One of the reasons we collectively stay thinner, despite living in one of the food capitals of the world, is all the walking.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 hours a week minimum. It probably despite 3 gym sessions a week the walking probably burns the majority of my calories. The faster the pace you go the more you will burn to be sure. But you will still burn as long as your not pc plodding along.