Eating "Clean"

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, check out www.ewg.org which does a list of those produce items which you should buy organic whenever you can. GL!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've never consciously thought of "eating clean" but I do avoid as much of the processed, pre-packaged stuff as I can. I've almost become phobic of the unnecessary chemicals they add. I love using Corn Pops and Gorilla Munch as an example. Corn Pops has a huge list of ingredients while Gorilla Munch has three (corn, salt, cane sugar). Gorilla Munch tastes the same, maybe better, and has the same shelf life. I digress...

I'm not a huge fan of veg but I do love my broccoli. As boring as it can be, I stick to what I love. My diet is restrictive on fruit, but again for the amount of fruit I can eat I stick to what I love. The bf and I have experimented with stuff like plantain, avocado, or dragon fruit by buying only one and seeing if we like it. That's a good place to start.
    So I had to look it up and compare. Corn Pops doesn't have a "huge list of ingredients." 3 main ingredients, (corn, sugar, and soluble fiber,) and a few minor ingredients (salt, molasses, annatto, starch, coconut oil,) and a preservative (BHT.)

That's not a "huge list" by any means. They aren't even scary words.

As for a nutritional comparison, same number of calories, same amount of sugar, and Corn Pops has more fiber and more vitamins. I would say Corn Pops is actually the more nutritious choice.
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    Options
    So I had to look it up and compare. Corn Pops doesn't have a "huge list of ingredients." 3 main ingredients, (corn, sugar, and soluble fiber,) and a few minor ingredients (salt, molasses, annatto, starch, coconut oil,) and a preservative (BHT.)

As for a nutritional comparison, same number of calories, same amount of sugar, and Corn Pops has more fiber and more vitamins. I would say Corn Pops is actually the more nutritious choice.

When I was reading In Defense of Food, Pollan mentions this. A few rules for eating include things like:

1. Don't eat anything your grandmother didn't.
    2. Don't eat ingredients your grandmother wouldn't recognize.
    3. Pick your food from the periphery of the grocery store, and not in the middle. (Most of the things in the middle of the grocery store are processed chemical foods... the stuff in the periphery include vegetables, simple breads, dairy and meat.
    4. If you can't pronounce it easily, don't eat it. (This, of course doesn't apply to the interestingly-named quinoa).

Strike that... make it your GREAT-grandmother.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

When I was reading In Defense of Food, Pollan mentions this. A few rules for eating include things like:

3. Pick your food from the periphery of the grocery store, and not in the middle. (Most of the things in the middle of the grocery store are processed chemical foods... the stuff in the periphery include vegetables, simple breads, dairy and meat.
    4. If you can't pronounce it easily, don't eat it. (This, of course doesn't apply to the interestingly-named quinoa).

stupidest rules ever!

i honestly don't understand how anybody can be so gullible as to buy into this nonsense.

there is nothing to fear about food.

the huge diversity of food choices today is a good thing.

where food is placed in a grocery store is a silly way to choose your meals.

if you can't pronounce something, you need to go take a remedial English class at your local community college.

...ugh! there so much stupidity that passes for profundity these days. SMDH.
  • enitsirhck
    enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried about it and want to give your daughter some valuable lessons, try finding farms you can make a day-trip to. Grass-fed beef, pastured animals (don't let anyone try to tell you about "grass fed" chickens, those things will eat anything they can get), vegetable farms, etc. See if you can find a farmer who does a co-op or food delivery that is transparent about what they use in growing their produce. Pesticides don't have to be bad, but it's always nice to have peace of mind about where your food comes from.

This would also be wonderful for your daughter to understand that lettuces don't grow at the grocery store and that chickens aren't born nugget shaped. It may seem "cruel" to make her realize the meat she eats was once a fluffy sheep or clucking chicken, but it might help her really start to consider, even from a child's point of view, where her food comes from and what the "cost" is of what she chooses to eat, and naturally she will have many questions and you'll be right there to help her figure out the answers.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

stupidest rules ever!

My grandma had pretty awesome food, all the time. Chocolate chip cookies and Coke for breakfast. :heart:
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Eating "Clean"

1. Turn on tap to get a nice stream of water.
    2. Place food underneath stream of water and rub or scrub as needed.

:laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

stupidest rules ever!

i honestly don't understand how anybody can be so gullible as to buy into this nonsense.

there is nothing to fear about food.

the huge diversity of food choices today is a good thing.

where food is placed in a grocery store is a silly way to choose your meals.

if you can't pronounce something, you need to go take a remedial English class at your local community college.

...ugh! there so much stupidity that passes for profundity these days. SMDH.
    Especially when you take into account the obvious facts, like the fact that my grandmother is still alive, and still eats food, so I'm sure she recognizes modern food. Or the fact that farmers have engineered pigs and chickens to a point that they would be unrecognizable to someone 50 or 60 years ago.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    he-will-have-some-h2o-too-comic_large.jpg
  • SarErb
    SarErb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So there are a couple of things on here that do concern me.

Organic VS GMO,/commercial...The difference is HUGE in production practices, not necessarily in "weaker chemicals = more chemicals" but in expected yield, time commitment, breeds of plants, etc, but it IS better for you. I'm not a crazy internet researcher, but I am a farmer. We don't sell commercially, just enough to keep us through the growing season, and supplement our diets, but I do know a lot of the commercial practices. They are necessary, because our population couldn't be supported by other means; however, if you have a choice, choose wisely. We still go to the grocery store every week. If you can get to the farmers market, go. If you can't, see about joining a CSA, as many deliver. Or get in touch with a local farmer and buy directly from the farm, especially if you're looking to get healthy meat. For most people, a weekly trip "to the country" is not feasible, but an extra freezer full of a side of beef/pork/a few chickens from one trip is well worth it. We don't raise our own cattle, but we buy from someone who does, and split it between my family, and four other relations. If you buy from a farmer, you can usually have the butcher make custom cuts (8oz steak instead of 12oz), but the bottom line is when you go to the freezer you know where your food came from. The farmer we buy from only gives antibiotics when the animals are actually sick, and no growth hormones. The last turkey I bought was running around on Friday afternoon, and we were eating it the next Sunday - no comparison in taste to the last butterball I bought. Eggs are MUCH better if you can find someone who raises chickens locally, and allows their hens free range. You'll see the difference in the yolk, and you'll taste the difference.

Your daughter is old enough that she can do a lot of the cooking, too. Have her help you plan the meals, and even if you eat cucumber 3 days in a row, it's a start in the right direction. We had a 12 and a 15 year old live with us until the younger one was a junior in high school. We started out having them help with picking out the meals, to help cooking the meals, to one night a week we just turned the kitchen over to them, and they cooked (sometimes hard to eat with a straight face...but they were so proud!) What I learned with them, was nothing worked cold turkey. We didn't drink soda, but they came from a house where all they drank was Pepsi and Mt. Dew. Instead of completely stopping them, we limited it to one 2 liter a shopping trip, until eventually they didn't even notice we stopped buying.

To add to the broken record, baby steps. Cook with whole food when you can.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    he-will-have-some-h2o-too-comic_large.jpg

It took me a second, but now I'm dying! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to what I love, otherwise I'm setting myself up to fail.

Me too!! :drinker:
  • kluvins
    kluvins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to Prevention.com they are doing a 28 day "eating clean" challenge. They have recipes posted and advice. Also, you can buy Eating Clean for Dummies. I'm trying to eat clean as well.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Go to Prevention.com they are doing a 28 day "eating clean" challenge. They have recipes posted and advice. Also, you can buy Eating Clean for Dummies. I'm trying to eat clean as well.

LOL'ing at the unintended irony of that book title.

keep in mind, i have no problem with the foods that are considered "clean", just the zealotry of some of the adherents of this diet and the wholly unsubstantiated claims some make about how "clean" foods cure a whole range of medical conditions. also, it makes me sad that some people end up with eating disorders because they try to "eat clean" and fail.
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

stupidest rules ever!

My grandma had pretty awesome food, all the time. Chocolate chip cookies and Coke for breakfast. :heart:

Your grandmother's coke didn't have high fructose corn syrup made from GMO's.

Why is there such an obesity epidemic in adults and children in this country? It's obvious because of what is in our food!
  • Serah87
    Options

stupidest rules ever!

Why is there such an obesity epidemic in adults and children in this country? It's obvious because of what is in our food!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We got fat because we ate to much food and sit in front of the tv and computer all day long!!!!!
  • Serah87
    Options
    I had heart issues and I cured it almost 100% by eating all that "bad" food!!!! :drinker:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

stupidest rules ever!

Wrong! It is lack of activity. People sit around way too much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've never consciously thought of "eating clean" but I do avoid as much of the processed, pre-packaged stuff as I can. I've almost become phobic of the unnecessary chemicals they add. I love using Corn Pops and Gorilla Munch as an example. Corn Pops has a huge list of ingredients while Gorilla Munch has three (corn, salt, cane sugar). Gorilla Munch tastes the same, maybe better, and has the same shelf life. I digress...

I'm not a huge fan of veg but I do love my broccoli. As boring as it can be, I stick to what I love. My diet is restrictive on fruit, but again for the amount of fruit I can eat I stick to what I love. The bf and I have experimented with stuff like plantain, avocado, or dragon fruit by buying only one and seeing if we like it. That's a good place to start.

Sugar Pops are tops!

BIG_WOODY_WOODPECKER_SUGAR_POPS_cereal_box-186x256.jpg

:heart: