Tea Drinkers - How to you make your hot tea?

Options
I'm considering switching from coffee in the morning to tea.

I usually fill up a travel mug with coffee, add 1 T sugar free French Vanilla creamer, and 8 packets of Splenda (anti-Splenda people, shhhhh). I was thinking of using some unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of the creamer in my tea. Thoughts?

I've had hot tea in the past, but I usually boil water in a pot with tea bags, add milk and sugar, and I enjoyed that. At work, I'll have to get hot water from the coffee maker, let a tea bag sit in it, and then add whatever I'd like.

So, how do you make your hot tea? What do you put in it?

Also, for a tall travel cup, should I use one or two tea bags?

Replies

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I drink tea every morning and all day long. I have a few boxes of assorted teas at my desk. I don't like my tea very strong so I use one tea bag in my very large mug. I am addicted to tea... there is so much more variety than with coffee... I add milk to my chai tea and it is amazing :) Oh and I use truvia to sweeten my tea :) I am actually sipping on a cup of pear green tea right now
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I heat tap water in the microwave, then drop a teabag into it. Done.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

same here. Once in a great while I add almond milk to chai tea but usually not. I find sugar or sweetener in my tea to be unnecessary (although I generally DO sweeten my coffee).
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hot water from the coffee maker? Eww!

I get water from the water cooler and microwave it, then make my tea as usual. Never tried creamer in my tea but I've gotten used to skipping it in my coffee to cut out the calories.

I sometimes use 2 tea bags if it's a bigger cup, but you make be able to get away with one if you're not too picky.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    8 packets of Splenda... wow!

You should use one teabag for 250 ml, give or take, so it depends on how big your travel mug is. However, I would caution against brewing tea in a plastic mug. No idea why but it never comes out tasty that way...

Personally I don't put milk, sweeten it with sweet-n-low (basically saccharin) and drop an ice cube in it because I don't like it super hot. Everyone's different though.

ETA : sometimes I add a dash of lemon, but not often.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Boil the kettle, pour boiling water over tea bag. Let it sit for a bit.

Then I normally add soy or regular milk, and sweetener.

Love tea: vanilla chai and sticky toffee are my current favourites. Almost like a 5 calorie warm dessert :)
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have an electric teapot. Heat the water then pour over the teabags in the cup. For a large travel mug I use 2 teabags but then I don't let it steep too long before I remove the bags. I don't like leaving the bags in the water more than 5 minutes max.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I buy a variety of different flavors (orange spice black tea, blueberry white tea, etc). I just pour some hot water (also from the coffee machine at work), put the tea bag in for a bit, remove tea bag, and consume :) I don't add anything else to it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

same here. Once in a great while I add almond milk to chai tea but usually not. I find sugar or sweetener in my tea to be unnecessary (although I generally DO sweeten my coffee).

It took me awhile to learn to drink my coffee black. I do still like it with a little milk and unsweetened coco powder once in awhile, but I can't imagine dumping sugar in it now, and I've always thought creamer was an abomination.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Same here, but I add honey and lemon juice for my daily teas.

When I want something more special, I use my Teavana stuff and my Teavana tea steeper thing.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tea water heated in the microwave never has the same taste or clarity as boiled water, poured over a teabag, which is then steeped and discarded. I always use boiled water. If it was for work, I would probably invest in an electric kettle. I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my tea.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Boil kettle -> add teabag to cup -> pour boiling water in cup -> either leave teabag or remove after a few minutes -> add milk if having regular tea -> enjoy
    Trust me, I'm English. I know my tea.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    put teabag in mug

add hot water to mug

jiggle teabag around until the tea is the desired colour

remove teabag

drink

note: if the tea needs to be drunk quickly, then add cold water after removing the teabag
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I don't like creamer/milk/soy in my tea because I drink very flavored teas. Right now I am mainly drinking tea forte coconut truffle. I also really like black vanilla tea.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Boil water first. Then add jasmine green tea bags (2) to 4 cups of water. Steep 3 minutes then pour over a little ice.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Water should be BOILING to correctly make Tea.

P.S if it doesn't have Tea in it (those fruity things) then it's NOT Tea - it's just a fruit Infusion.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can add Truvia sweetner or Ragave organic nectar. I add nonfat milk sometimes (1/3 cup). It's delicious to me lukewarm or iced. I drink it all day long. That's how I get in my water :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hot, not boiling water, add tea bags. Brew 5 minutes. Allow to cool. Drink.
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    8 packets of splenda?! What's the point of having the coffee if you can't taste it? lol