How do you guys motivate yourself to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options
    Find things that you enjoy...try things you think you won't enjoy because sometimes you'll surprise yourself, and keep a good variety going. Even your favorite type of workout will no longer be fun or terribly helpful if you focus on it 24/7. I'm a very visual person; I like having inspiration board(s) with some fitness goals, little reminders, etc. Also, I make my goals fit the "SMART" criteria...Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time oriented. Holding yourself accountable on multiple levels like that will help avoid having goals that are too abstract or don't feel rewarding as you're progressing.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's tough. Like right now for example I have to do a brick and it's drizzly outside so I am trying to muster up the energy to get my *kitten* out there and do my run and bike. While I could do it inside I am sick of hitting the TM and trainer (plus it doesn't help me much for the race).

But in all honesty sometimes you just have to suck it up and just go. Think about how good you'll feel when it's done.
  • Dozer91
    Dozer91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It looks like everyone is saying the same things but I personally sports train instead of workout. I play hockey, box and swim. I take lessons for each. That way I work on seeing improvement in my skills not on the scale. Its more rewarding for me. I guess the common theme here is to try to find something you like to do and do it. Focus on fun not calories. Make small goals like running a 5K or joining a team. Good Luck!
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm one of those people who enjoys exercising while I'm doing it, but the hard part is getting started. Also because I have plantar fasciitis I'm restricted in what I can do - no long walks, running, or stairs. So I have to get my exercise in formal workouts instead of walking miles a day like I used to.

So I've made it a routine. Monday and Thursday I do spin class, Wednesday I swim with a friend. Every morning I do 10 minutes of weight training, rotating between core, arms, and legs. It's gotten to be automatic for me.

Another motivator for me is this game called HabitRPG. It's a role playing game that you play by getting things done. If I'm not motivated to exercise, I know that I'll hurt my team members if I don't click that box.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Step 1 Take My Shirt Off
    Step 2 Look In the Mirror
    Step 3 Turn Sideways
    Step 4 Shake Head In Disappointment
    Step 5 Go Burn More Calories
    Step 6 *Have An Awesome Playlist (optional)

* May result in more calories burned than originally planned and/or overuse injuries.

Pretty much this.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Step 1 Take My Shirt Off
    Step 3 Turn Sideways

* May result in more calories burned than originally planned and/or overuse injuries.

Pretty much this.

Yep, this method is also effective.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

So I've made it a routine. Monday and Thursday I do spin class, Wednesday I swim with a friend. Every morning I do 10 minutes of weight training, rotating between core, arms, and legs. It's gotten to be automatic for me.

This is what I was going to suggest. I'd recommend finding something that you enjoy doing to start with, and then do it regularly, consistently for 30 days. Even if its something you enjoy you;ll find it tough to make yourself do it at first. I've read that it takes a human about 30 days of consistently doing something to make a habit out of it, so if you start out slow with something that you can enjoy you'll be able to last long enough so you don't have to force yourself to do it as much, and can move on to other/maybe more intense workouts.

I started out my fitness journey with Insanity, and once I managed to get through month 1, the "recovery" week felt like I was cheating since I'd made the hard workouts a habit. After I finished that I started a habit of hitting the gym for weight lifting in the morning before work 2x a week. Getting up at 5:30 to go lift heavy stuff was hard at first, but now its a habit and I've trained my brain that Wednesday is deadlift day so I'd better be ready to enjoy it.

Start with something you can stick with, and make it a habit. Once you do that you don't have to motivate yourself at all, your body does it without conscious thought.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Step 1 Take My Shirt Off
    Step 3 Turn Sideways

Pretty much this.

Yep, this method is also effective.

ETA: remember what I used to look like and know I don't want to look like again
    and Step 5a - Go Lift Heavy Things / Put Them Down / Repeat
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Having a great playlist is the key to having a great workout/run!!!! I always feel like a super woman after a run so that kinda drives me too.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just find working out fun. I really like strength training, that's what gets me the most excited. Good music, good atmosphere at the gym, seeing results in the mirror, the scale, your power, the "lifter's high", just something fun to do
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    my motivation is totally selfish... I want to look and feel good. I know if i don't exercise I am going to gain weight b/c I LOVE to eat. When I don't exercise I feel blah and my mind tends to wander and want to eat all bad things. Again, it is selfish but I want it for me. I am my own motivation.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I see myself naked :indifferent:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I like to eat.
    and whilst they say you can't outrun a bad diet, you sure can buy yourself some leeway :happy: