super high heart rate and fainting

Options

Replies

• laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Please people I am not stupid and understand my current diet is not healthy. but after not getting any answers on my chest pains I needed to try something to get the weight off another 10lbs and back to normal eating.

Now back to the issue at hand.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    700 calories? And you workout? Sorry man, but there's a reason why people who eat like this and over exercise die of heart complications. Your view of how to lose fat and get fit are skewed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It was a plan to try get rid of the body fat that caused it in the first place. with 6 months of tests and no results it seemed like it was worth a try. now this is not a long term plan

So you self diagnosed that it was "body fat that caused it in the first place" and made a conscious decision to partake in an admittedly unhealthy diet that could exacerbate the coronary issues?
  • laynerich15
    Options
    700 calories? And you workout? Sorry man, but there's a reason why people who eat like this and over exercise die of heart complications. Your view of how to lose fat and get fit are skewed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It was a plan to try get rid of the body fat that caused it in the first place. with 6 months of tests and no results it seemed like it was worth a try. now this is not a long term plan

So you self diagnosed that it was "body fat that caused it in the first place" and made a conscious decision to partake in an admittedly unhealthy diet that could exacerbate the coronary issues?

Yeah ok it sounds pretty bad when you put it that way.

But I guess the answer would be yes. after being told my heart is ok and ignoring that my heart rate was rising that high I needed to do something. as per my original post, I was always very fit (Could always run and not that its good was very skinny). the only thing that had really changed when this started was a lot of weight gain.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Seek help!!! ASAP!!!! 700 calories for a man is NEVER a good ideal!!!! :grumble:
  • laynerich15
    Options
    Oh and was working pretty well until this morning. resting chest pains had gone down by at least 70% and hadn't had a heart rate issue on the treadmill for a while. today I simply went from 6.5kph(last few weeks heart rate sat on 123bpm) to 6.8kph and heart rate went nuts.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    google a condition called ......A-FIB.....

i have that and am dealing with it...i take a script med called Flecainide

it just comes on me from time to time....

it feels like a drum is beating in my upper chest ...right at my throat....

my heart beat goes over 200 beats a min and lasts from 3 to 4 mins up to 15 mins...some times more...

i just sit still and take some deep breaths.... i cant put a cause to it...it will happen at different times and when im doing different things....

i slept good last night adn got up to take the dog out and walked to the front door and it hit me.....

i take my blood pressure and pulse when it happens...always...my pulse goes crazy, my blood pressure always goes down....

time to go to doctor....that dang heart could easily explode if you are not careful....

hope it helps a little
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Do you have anxiety or have you ever had panic attacks before? Maybe you have an exercise induced anxiety? Or possibly exercise induced asthma that keeps you from breathing properly while you're working out? Since it only seems to happen when you're working out and for the rest of the day you're fine.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a different doctor. Sometimes people have to go to several different doctors before one of them can figure it out!! Sadly doctors are just people too lol :(

Are you taking any supplements? I think a lot of pro-weight loss/pro-muscle building supplements have caffeine or other stimulants in them!
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you considered exercise induced tachycardia? I have Tachycardia and done various heart ultrasounds, EKGs and heart monitors and all they confirm is that my heart rate is too fast but it is otherwise completely healthy. You may not need something to be structurally wrong to have an arrhythmia. When I exercise I use a heart rate monitor and it isn't rare at all to be doing high-medium exertion and have my HR be 180-190. You should have it looked into because it can be fatal.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    RN here...a few thoughts:

Start by eating more calories and cutting out the exercise. Walk if you must exercises.
    Call your doctor back, see a different doctor, or go to the ER next time it happens. Get a referral for a cardiologist (heart doctor). Chest pain has been ongoing...seen a cardiologist? Had an exercise stress test? EKG's are just snapshots of what your heart is doing AT THAT MOMENT. Exercise Stress Tests - you get on a treadmill and exercise while they watch your heart - fail it and they have a few options - usually an IV med to stress your heart and/or a heart cath. Since you're fit enough that you shouldn't fail the Exercise Stress Test, I'm guessing they'd want a heart cath. Dude, you got SOMETHING going on with your heart.

Again, eat something...'normal' people might not get sick from cutting calories that severely BRIEFLY, but YOU have some underlying problem. NO ONE should be passing out or feeling fainthearted, and NO ONE can sustain a heart rate above 160 - eventually something is going to give.

(and this doesn't sound like Afib to me. A fib is more irregular than what he is experiencing).
  • efink85
    efink85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor or a mp3 player strapped to your arm? It could be too tight. My dad had this same problem, he thought he was having a heart attack but it turned out he had over tightened his mp3 player so it wouldn't fall off while he was running at the gym.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a different doctor. Sometimes people have to go to several different doctors before one of them can figure it out!! Sadly doctors are just people too lol :(

This.
    I work in a Hospital, I know a lots of doctors and even them sometimes recommend to look for a second opinion. I always pay for a PPO medical insurance so I can see a physician without referral. What you have is very serious and lowering your calories is not the answer. I am a woman and your weight is same as mine and a lot of people already said and that I am skinny. Also ask for blood work too.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Get your dumb *kitten* to a cardiologist, today. Not tomorrow, not when you have time, NOW.

You'll ask for both a 3D sonogram and a 24-48 hour monitoring device.

Your solution is in one of those.

Or, keep doing what you're doing, and when you inevitably stop logging on it'll be because your heart exploded under the strain.

Your call.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Um, eat!

Food is our friend.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I won't go into your diet choice but I say definitely see your doctor/s again. In March 2013 at the age of 32 I blacked out while walking, went to A&E because my ankle swelled up really badly but they were more worried about why I had blacked out, long story short - I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter, I quickly deteriorated & spent 9 months of last year housebound because the smallest amount of exertion sent my heart rate sky high, made my lips turn blue & would have me on the edge of fainting (what happens is that your hearts electrical signal that tells it to beat re-fires too soon, ie while beat 1 is still travelling round the heart beat 2 is triggered etc etc) I had what is called a Radio-Frequency Ablation in Nov & a small device fitted which monitors my heart rate. I hope this helps & I hope your doctor/s find the cause of and treat your problem soon.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I had chest pains a few years ago that freaked me out. Anything that involved increased adrenaline brought it on. It ended up to be something like acid reflux. It didn't feel like that. It felt like heart problems. But testing showed that my heart was fine. The doctor tried me first on diazepam (valium) daily for a month, which reduced my problems but didn't get rid of them. Then we tried Zantac twice a day for a month and that finally got rid of the pains completely. Coffee, alcohol, fatty foods and stress can bring them back. Good luck.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Your previous chest pains and your current fainting problems might be unrelated.

At 700 calories, your body is starving. There is such a thing as starvation mode, not saying you won't loose weight, but there are very serious side effects. Your body needs food to survive. A lot of your new symptoms sound like severe iron deficiency which can be caused by a low calorie diet. Iron is stored, and even if you eat enough, sometimes it can't be adsorbed. If your starving your body and your iron stores are depleted, it was definitely cause what you are talking about.

Please start eating more food. It might not help the chest pain, but it will help what your experiencing now. And you might be doing further damage to your heart if you stay low calorie.

I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas about the chest pain. I was getting weird chest pain but I am positive it was related to my posture. It went away as quickly as it came on. Sometimes the problem isn't where you think it is. If your heart tests are okay, then the pain feels like its in your chest but caused by something else.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The best solution would be to see your doctor again and tell them to explore more options, or go see another doctor for a second opinion. I'm sure we've all seen The Biggest Loser where they start to exercise and they work themselves too hard and they end up passing out - but they're all seriously obese. If you were very obese I wouldn't necessarily be as concerned about what you're saying, but because you were never obese in the first place, this doesn't make sense to me (obviously keep in mind that I am not a doctor).

The pain in the left side of your chest though sounds like my asthma. When I get asthma pains it's generally concentrated on the left side, although sometimes it can be on the right, but it's not normally. I'll get pains that are sort of hard to describe. it kind of feels like the pain is branching out from somewhere and spreading across the side of my chest. There's nothing that I can do for it other than take my inhaler and breathe through my nose and that generally helps. Asthma would also make a bit of sense because when you exercise, a lot of people do not continue to breath properly. Asthmatics already have issue with getting oxygen throughout their body so when we exercise, we have to be more careful that we're breathing through our nose and focusing on getting enough air in. And because of that, my heart rate tends to shoot up while exercises more than other peoples'. However, my heart rate generally spikes to maybe 150 and then it normally doesn't go higher than that. Here's some info from WebMD:

During normal breathing, the air we take in is first warmed and moistened by the nasal passages. Because people tend to breathe through their mouths when they exercise, they are inhaling colder and drier air.

In exercise-induced asthma, the muscle bands around the airways are sensitive to these changes in temperature and humidity and react by contracting, which narrows the airway. This results in symptoms of exercised-induced asthma, which include:
    Coughing with asthma
    Tightening of the chest
    Wheezing
    Unusual fatigue while exercising
    Shortness of breath when exercising

But arrhythmia also sounds like a possibility. There are certain symptoms of that that can overlap with symptoms of asthma.

And of course, you should definitely be eating more food to fuel your workouts. Regardless of if it's happened before, it's clearly contributing to your symptoms from this morning.
  • BookMaven79
    BookMaven79 Posts: 41
    Options
    - cardiologist and a myriad of tests, including monitoring for several days to weeks
    - endocrinologist
    - chiropractor (when my back is out of place, my heart rate goes sky high. Adjustment, and it's fine again)
    - consider panic attacks/anxiety
    - have you had your blood sugar levels tested?
    - do you have symptoms of GERD?
    - you need to eat
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    RN here...a few thoughts:

Start by eating more calories and cutting out the exercise. Walk if you must exercises.
    Call your doctor back, see a different doctor, or go to the ER next time it happens. Get a referral for a cardiologist (heart doctor). Chest pain has been ongoing...seen a cardiologist? Had an exercise stress test? EKG's are just snapshots of what your heart is doing AT THAT MOMENT. Exercise Stress Tests - you get on a treadmill and exercise while they watch your heart - fail it and they have a few options - usually an IV med to stress your heart and/or a heart cath. Since you're fit enough that you shouldn't fail the Exercise Stress Test, I'm guessing they'd want a heart cath. Dude, you got SOMETHING going on with your heart.

Again, eat something...'normal' people might not get sick from cutting calories that severely BRIEFLY, but YOU have some underlying problem. NO ONE should be passing out or feeling fainthearted, and NO ONE can sustain a heart rate above 160 - eventually something is going to give.

(and this doesn't sound like Afib to me. A fib is more irregular than what he is experiencing).

I work out with my heartrate 170-180 all the time. Heart rates are relative.