Is walking a legitimate exercise?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Whenever geebusuks or others say that it doesn't count,
    When have I said it "doesn't count"?
    Pretty sure I haven't as it wasn't my opinion really.

So, here's a thought, if other say something you don't like, rather than just ignoring them, perhaps you should at least take the time to READ what they said, rather than just making assumptions. Might help you understand the situation a little better ;).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So, if there is a form of exercise that is "better" than another form that disqualifies it as being exercise at all?
    Indeed; right back at you!

So; eating is exercise?

If you look in the MFP database for exercise you'll find walking at different speeds. You will NOT find eating, so I guess it's not. :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't list "sprinting" as exercise either.
    Oh well, obviously that "HIIT" workout was wasted :P.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Seems people mean different things by 'exercise'.

Some people say 'walking burns calories, so it's exercise'.

Others say 'walking doesn't raise your heart rate, so it isn't exercise'.

This is a Silly Argument. Moderate walking is clearly a form of exercise, in the sense that it burns calories and requires your body to be in a higher level of activity than sitting on your behind. But it is not a high-intensity cardiovascular workout. If the kind of 'exercise' you want is something that challenges your heart and lungs, you need to look elsewhere.

Having an argument about what is or isn't 'exercise' when you're using different definitions for the word isn't getting anyone anywhere. Your time would be much better spent going for a walk...
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    This thread is a little daft (the replies anyhow).. Of course walking is an exercise. ... crawling is an exercise.

Whether or not you do it to an intensity level each time to benefit your weight loss goals significantly is a different question entirely.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of people saying "walking won't get you in shape", and "that's not exercise". What's your view on this subject? I walked two miles today. Was that exercise?

So to summarise 8 pages...

It depends what outcomes you're expecting from it. You can accont for walking in your base activity level, or you can set your activity level to sedentary and account for every step.

Yes, walking consumes calories so can contribute to a calorie defecit.

Depending on the speed that you're walking it has potential to help your endurace but it's not going to help you develop your ability to convert fuel.

For me, I'll count a 3-5 km walk to work at a good pace, I wouldn't count 2km or where it's heavily congested and I can't get my pace up.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of people saying "walking won't get you in shape", and "that's not exercise". What's your view on this subject? I walked two miles today. Was that exercise?

My view is this: consider those countries where the main mode of transportation is walking and how fit they are. Walking up and down hills makes it even a better workout. Getting your mile under 15 minutes for 5 miles makes it even better. When I was 25 I decided to put together a workout that I could do in my 70's and 80's (that was 30 years ago). One workout was speed walking, Nordic Track Skier along with push ups and crunches. In my opinion too many folks do their workout for looks rather than for life. You can have both, but my emphasis is for life.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't list "sprinting" as exercise either.
    Oh well, obviously that "HIIT" workout was wasted :P.

Come on guy---you know you find that under running----at least I hope you do. :smile:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise. Great form of exercise too.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    look at my ticker - that should end the guestion, and to thumb my nose , about half that is the "walk in place" exercises many people thumb thier noses at ....

yes it works, i know i will do more as i can , and thats the part that matters to me the most.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    walking is the only exercise i can do so too right its exercise!! :smile:
  • NutellaByTheSpoon
    Options
    Brisk walking is
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    seriously ? you have to ask?

YES...heck YES :-D
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options

ANYTHING that works to get your heart rate up is exercise, whether it's walking, running, or moving furniture. Some exercising is supposedly more efficient than others, but people just need to learn to STFU when they don't know what they're talking about.

For example, I knew a woman once who lost over a hundred pounds by buying a good treadmill and using it (religiously) 5 to 7 miles every single day... Her diet didn't change (though she was reportedly "less hungry" after using the treadmill every night), she just toned and got in shape by being relentless in her workouts...

Wayne
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Anything that makes you sweat and raises your heart rate for at least 30 minutes or so is good exercise and good for your heart. Thing about walking is that we get good at it quickly so we need to increase our intensity regularly. Walking is good for anyone as a starting point. As time goes by add a bit more pace and extra incline, maybe jog at intervals. Keep on sweating and keep on reaching that bit further : )
  • abnpaul
    abnpaul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Because my recent bout of plantar-fasciitis took a surgery and almost two years to fully recover, I learned the value of extensive walking; it takes a lot more time than running, but I found it to be beneficial and very peaceful too! Dedicated use of MFP has kept me more focused and noticing results!
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds in 3 months with nothing but counting calories and walking.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Whenever geebusuks or others say that it doesn't count,
    When have I said it "doesn't count"?
    Pretty sure I haven't as it wasn't my opinion really.

So, here's a thought, if other say something you don't like, rather than just ignoring them, perhaps you should at least take the time to READ what they said, rather than just making assumptions. Might help you understand the situation a little better ;).

This thread is 8 pages long. No one has time to follow all your posts. And while later you did reiterate what you apparently intended your point to be, it was actually very unclear (and annoying).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    TIL some people feel very strongly about walking.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps 6 days per week...