Wheat free /Gluten free diet

Options

Replies

• MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No. The only time I tried low carb I had no energy at all. Just lift the things and eat the food and have PATIENCE! No need for fad diets unless there is a medical reason.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to do it: DON'T!

That is, unless you enjoy spending ridiculous amounts of money on food that doesn't taste good, has hard and rough textures and costs 3-5x as much as it's gluten-filled counterpart.

As for weight loss: It doesn't nothing you can't do while eating gluten.

I eat (mostly) gluten-free now because I have a gluten allergy. I would give anything to be able to eat gluten again (among other food allergies). It's so not worth it if you don't have to do it.

^^^THIS!

I was originally told by my doctor that i might have a gluten intolerance when we were trying to figure out what my issues were, turns out it was dairy, but for that bit of time i was eating gluten free it did nothing for weight loss and tasted gross and cost too much money, so ya, don't do it unless you have too!!
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Personally I say ignore those who are basing their responses on an instant dislike of "fad" diets without regard for its health effects.

The evidence for and against gluten, wheat, etc. being harmful or not to our health is mixed so you can't say for sure one way or the other that it's definitely ok or good, or that it's bad. That said, there's absolutely no damage cutting these things out of your diet can do to your health physically; about the worst thing that can happen is you find it unsustainable given your lifestyle, in whcih case you simply go back to eating gluten, wheat, etc.

Personally I say try it out and experiment for yourself. Do you want to go completely gluten and wheat free or just cut out some big offenders? Personally I've been trying to cut out grains, focusing for the moment on breads and processed foods. Bread was easy as I never horribly enjoyed it (other than good bakery bread like baguettes, which were always a rare thing), and processed foods are a work in progress. I love pasta but don't mind the grain free versions like brown rice pasta so I'm perfectly happy with that switch as well. But I wouldn't substitute for a product I didn't like; I'm fine with a moderate approach of still having some grains when I feel like it.

As for those who say gluten free doesn't taste good, has bad texture, is ridiculously expensive, etc. - gluten free doesn't require you to simply substitute gluten filled products with their heavily processed gluten free replacements. You can totally enjoy gluten free or grain free, etc. by simply avoiding those kinds of products entirely or for the most part - just eat vegetables, fruits, meats, seeds, nuts, etc. etc. rather than swapping normal bread for gluten free bread, etc. If that's the only problem you have with gluten free I think the OP is fine to try it out for herself.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating gluten (99%) about 5 years ago.
    Feel so much better ! Lost 10 lbs after the first five weeks.
    No more bloated, painful stomach.
    And a list of other things as well.
    I don't buy GF bread, pasta, etc.
    If I really want those things I will eat a little and always reminds me afterwards why I stopped.
    You might want to try this. I was amazed.
    Make a list right now of health related concerns that you think about on a daily basis ex bloated stomach, fatigue, weight gain, sinus issues.... rate each thing on a scale of 1-10 on how often you think about it. 10 being constantly. Put the list away. And pull it out a couple months from now and do it again.

I know a lot of people advise against this or don't even know what gluten is.
    But, if it works for YOU and you feel better, why not ?
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free for 2 years now and should have been most my life! It causes terrible pain and discomfort and bowel issues...being gluten free has helped me drop/keep weight off because empty carbs have gluten in them !
    which means I don't eat donoughts, cake, bagels, etc....

I agree with many people above when I say don't go gluten free if you don't need to - however you can start eliminating carbs and focus on good carbs that are in veggies !
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. YES I do feel a difference already, believe it or not! I initially wanted to try this because I have a sensitive stomach and the past few weeks was cramping, bloated, bowel problems (actually have battled with this my whole life on and off), and just feeling sick after eating bagels sometimes. At first I thought it was what I was putting on my bagels or bread...like cheese ( I don't drink milk but I eat cheese...Milk not good for me) but then I realized maybe it could be an allergy to wheat or gluten. I did have an allergist tell me once that I was allergic to wheat but this was several years ago and I pretty much ignored it.

You don't have to get your carbs from bread! I'm eating rice and vegetables and protein, nuts, beans...etc..

I just feel a difference, even though I just started this yesterday! I woke up with energy, did not even want my coffee...had tea instead. I have an egg and cheese omelet for breakfast. I feel alert, my stomach feels more relaxed , and I actually lost .4 lbs...but my main reason is not just to lose weight but also to feel good!
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease and have been gluten free for 10 years. I have been a little overweight most of that time. However, I have done paleo the last month and lost 10lbs. I have lots of other food allergies too and paleo works better for me than just being gluten free. If you're trying gf for weight loss you have to be careful because a lot of it is higher carb or calories. If it's for medical reasons try paleo. I wish I had known about it a lot sooner!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. YES I do feel a difference already, believe it or not! I initially wanted to try this because I have a sensitive stomach and the past few weeks was cramping, bloated, bowel problems (actually have battled with this my whole life on and off), and just feeling sick after eating bagels sometimes. At first I thought it was what I was putting on my bagels or bread...like cheese ( I don't drink milk but I eat cheese...Milk not good for me) but then I realized maybe it could be an allergy to wheat or gluten. I did have an allergist tell me once that I was allergic to wheat but this was several years ago and I pretty much ignored it.

You don't have to get your carbs from bread! I'm eating rice and vegetables and protein, nuts, beans...etc..

I just feel a difference, even though I just started this yesterday! I woke up with energy, did not even want my coffee...had tea instead. I have an egg and cheese omelet for breakfast. I feel alert, my stomach feels more relaxed , and I actually lost .4 lbs...but my main reason is not just to lose weight but also to feel good!

I'm glad the placebo effect is so strong for you. Congratulations on your .4 lb loss and good luck.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to do it: DON'T!

That is, unless you enjoy spending ridiculous amounts of money on food that doesn't taste good, has hard and rough textures and costs 3-5x as much as it's gluten-filled counterpart.

As for weight loss: It doesn't nothing you can't do while eating gluten.

I eat (mostly) gluten-free now because I have a gluten allergy. I would give anything to be able to eat gluten again (among other food allergies). It's so not worth it if you don't have to do it.

I don't recall my omelette and bacon I had for breakfast this morning to be spending ridiculous amounts on food or not taste good.............

The meatballs and salad I had for supper last night was pretty tasty too.

The banana and Noosa yogurt I ate earlier didn't have any rough edges on it.

<roll eyes>

If people learned how to shop there wouldn't be ridiculous amounts of money being spent on food.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    lol I should have expected some arguments on here because it is MFP forums...

For me, I am going natural. I'm not eating any pre-packaged "gluten-free" versions of bread or substitutes. I guess it's a mix between Paleo and GF. I haven't spent any more money on foods than I have before...Why? Cause I already have fruits, vegetables, in my diet...I'm just cutting out the wheat....NO biggie really!

To all the haters out there, do your research. If genetically modified food is good for you, then go ahead and eat all the wheat you want. If you don't have an intolerance then it won't hurt you, but I'm all about being healthy and putting foods in me that are pure and clean. The Wheat Belly book was written by a Cardiologist! It's not a diet fad. It's based on scientific evidence! Whether you believe in this diet or not, this is a fact.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Well, I started yesterday and I am feeling great, so I am all for it! My mind is more clear, I have energy, and no cravings! My stomach pains have gone away and just feel lighter. I even dropped .4 lbs ..compared to the day before. I was hoping for some positive responses but I respect all of your opinions and experiences. I'm reading the Wheat Belly book and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I will never eat bread again but I can definitely tell the difference in the way I was feeling prior to how I feel now....and it's only been one day!

You can tell all that in a day?

My thoughts exactly! I wake up some days, with more energy than the day before, without cravings and with a clear mind...I might even weigh a few 100 grams less than other days - but I have never given up gluten.... LOL....
    And how does not agreeing with your silly idea make people "haters"?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    As for the book? Well - you might want to read some more...."The book inspired analyses which compare Davis' conclusions with the current evidence-base published in the established scientific literature. One analysis found that Davis used some data that was associated, but did not prove causality (false analogy), compared food data that is not naturally comparable (that is, incommensurable), made false assertions, ignored studies that disproved some of his claims, made assertions that were not backed up by any case studies, made self-contradictory statements and while he made some statements that were true, they were not catastrophic as he claimed. Most of the true claims he makes do not smear wheat at all, such as increasing one's intake of fruits and vegetables and avoiding deep fried foods. One reviewer cited a recent review of studies on refined grains, which concluded: "The great majority [of studies] found no associations between the intake of refined-grain foods and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, weight gain, or overall mortality."
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think going gluten free helps some people, mainly because it cuts a lot (most) of processed food (calorie heavy foods) out of someone's diet and 'forces' them to eat more veggies, meat, and fruits. You know, real food. I do believe that moderation is fine, but those who are prone to binging can't always handle moderation.

Our minds and bodies are not all identical.

I went GF for two months and after the initial feeling like a crazy b*tch (about 4 days), I felt fabulous. I now have more energy, my brain is clearer, and I'm generally much happier. And then I lost 20 lbs. When I tried adding gluten back, I found that I felt disgusting afterwards, along with being more sluggish.

So people can say that its unnecessary and that it doesn't work, or that it "actually" works because of X,Y,Z... but they have no idea how things are reacting within my body chemically. If you want to try it, then try it. And if it works for you, then it works. Until the person on the forum saying it doesn't work is a doctor who has examined me... they can have their OPINION on how my body functions.
    It's amazing to me how many people here on the forums think they're freaking experts, just because they researched something or because something else worked for them.
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    oh boy.. i posted this same thing earlier in the week and got so many replies that were so offensive and snarky. I also could tell one day into it that i felt better. THe bloated, uncomfortable feeling was gone. Im on day 3, and plan on continuing. People will harass you on here until you feel bad about yourself, just stick to your guns. You know you best.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, I started yesterday and I am feeling great, so I am all for it! My mind is more clear, I have energy, and no cravings! My stomach pains have gone away and just feel lighter. I even dropped .4 lbs ..compared to the day before. I was hoping for some positive responses but I respect all of your opinions and experiences. I'm reading the Wheat Belly book and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I will never eat bread again but I can definitely tell the difference in the way I was feeling prior to how I feel now....and it's only been one day!

Placebo effect and specious reasoning.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

If you're constipated or having bowel problems, introduce more fat into your diet. It works wonders.

ETA: And you do realize, that .4 pounds in a day is not fat loss, right? And how do you know your boundless energy and alertness in one day isn't from a good night's sleep, or good exercise, or something like that?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For those wondering about gluten and weight gain. Look at my ticker and see my diary. I eat pure gluten every day, just about.
    It has nothing to do with weight loss. It is low carb and full of protein.
    1240C224_VitalWheatGluten_s_450.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lol I should have expected some arguments on here because it is MFP forums...

For me, I am going natural. I'm not eating any pre-packaged "gluten-free" versions of bread or substitutes. I guess it's a mix between Paleo and GF. I haven't spent any more money on foods than I have before...Why? Cause I already have fruits, vegetables, in my diet...I'm just cutting out the wheat....NO biggie really!

To all the haters out there, do your research. If genetically modified food is good for you, then go ahead and eat all the wheat you want. If you don't have an intolerance then it won't hurt you, but I'm all about being healthy and putting foods in me that are pure and clean. The Wheat Belly book was written by a Cardiologist! It's not a diet fad. It's based on scientific evidence! Whether you believe in this diet or not, this is a fact.

Your statements make absolutely no sense. Gluten is not just in wheat. It's in barley and rye too, so no beer if you give up gluten.

As for the "do your research" statement, I'm willing to bet half the people here have done more than you have. And what does genetically modified food have to do with gluten, wheat, or anything in this thread?

Oh, and cardiologist =/= nutrition expert. Did you read the scientific studies he based his book on?
  • chubalina
    chubalina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It looks like you may have a gluten intolerance if you are feeling better eliminating it and no longer have stomach pains.
    I never thought I had a gluten intolerance until I removed it from my diet and then trying to re add it in I was so sick after only 3 weeks of eating gluten free. Now that I don't eat wheat I love that I don't feel tired after eat, my stomach doesn't hurt. Free donuts and pizza at the office - well I don't eat wheat so skipping on those. So yes I do feel I eat a lot cleaner cutting gluten out. I don't buy a lot of processed Gluten Free products, I just don't eat bread anymore. You get used to it, I know I have! Good luck and add me as a friend if you would like :)