Can NOT stay within calories

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sounds like metabolic damage. It takes a long time to heal, but luckily you don't have to get fat from the "healing" like people claim. Just up your calories eating mostly fruits and veggies, 3000 Calories a day, 80% carbs, 10% fats, 10% protein. Don't forget carbs, did I say 80%?? yes! And don't mix sugar with your fats, because thats how you store them. If you keep your fats and protein low your body will energize itself off of your own tissue, but all your cells (including your brain!) will be fueled by glucose! Your hormones causing possible metabolic damage will be regulated. But this isn't to lose weight in a couple months, I'm talking how you overcome the root issue. Read 80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham.

Please ignore this nonsense.

All the other posts have had great advice.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am overwhelmed by the response! Thank you all so much. I am going to come back and open my diary and respond to everyone as soon as I get my little guy down for his nap. Just didn't want y'all to think I wasn't listening. Real quick though...my diary is not super accurate. I literally only started logging last week...so anything beyond the 1st is inaccurate and even the stuff after is guesses. I have a kitchen scale coming in the mail to log more accurately.

Kitchen scales will make a huge difference. Once you know exactly how much you are eating you'll be able to see where to adjust. I second or third the eat more protein, it really does help you feel fuller esp combined with fats.
  • dscampbell1979
    dscampbell1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am eating back most of my exercise calories. In fact those calories are my motivation to run just a little farther ;)

I think upping my calories to 2000 would make me so much more satisfied. And I love the idea of calorie cycling. I think I could get on board with that.

Eggs for breakfast sounds like a great idea also. I've always felt more satisfied after a breakfast with eggs. I gave up breakfast this week to save my calories for lunch and dinner. Maybe that is backfiring.

Is there an app I can use for the TDEE method or a way to input in mfp?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am overwhelmed by the response! Thank you all so much. I am going to come back and open my diary and respond to everyone as soon as I get my little guy down for his nap. Just didn't want y'all to think I wasn't listening. Real quick though...my diary is not super accurate. I literally only started logging last week...so anything beyond the 1st is inaccurate and even the stuff after is guesses. I have a kitchen scale coming in the mail to log more accurately.

Kitchen scales will make a huge difference. Once you know exactly how much you are eating you'll be able to see where to adjust. I second or third the eat more protein, it really does help you feel fuller esp combined with fats.

This.
    That is why I asked how you were measuring - while I believe a lot of people overestimate, it is possible you are underestimating.
    My other concern is not accounting for your activity level.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I am eating back most of my exercise calories. In fact those calories are my motivation to run just a little farther ;)

I think upping my calories to 2000 would make me so much more satisfied. And I love the idea of calorie cycling. I think I could get on board with that.

Eggs for breakfast sounds like a great idea also. I've always felt more satisfied after a breakfast with eggs. I gave up breakfast this week to save my calories for lunch and dinner. Maybe that is backfiring.

You can check out his link, it walks you through all of that.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

At the bottom of this link (included in the one above) there is instructions on where to change
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I am glad to see you are accounting for your exercise as well.
    Also keep in mind that these numbers are all estimates. It doesn't hurt to bump up your numbers a bit and see where that takes you, especially if you are struggling to hit the numbers given.
  • dscampbell1979
    Options
    Also where can I find non meat sources of protein. I'm not anti meat. I do eat plenty just obviously not enough to meet my goals.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

There are several formulas and websites that you could use to calculate an estimate for your TDEE. For example: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

You would then edit your goals in the MFP settings for and just not log your exercise. If you have so few pounds to lose, I'd guess you'd want to set MFP to TDEE -10%
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Also where can I find non meat sources of protein. I'm not anti meat. I do eat plenty just obviously not enough to meet my goals.

Greek yogurt.
    Eggs.
    Protein powder if you want.
    Beans.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you ate 1000 calories at dinner and near 1000 calories in snacks a day ago. You could knock off about 400 of those calories by dropping the coke (switch to diet if you like).
  • EvanKeel
    Options

If you're looking for sources that are strictly protein (and don't include significant amounts of fat and/or carbs), whey protein powder is probably a good choice.

Technically I think milk is cheaper per g of protein, but it also contains carbs...and fats depending on the milk you get. Which is all fine, but I sometimes find that the whey powder is easier to fit into my daily macros.
  • dscampbell1979
    Options
    Is protein powder healthy? Safe? Having never done any research on it I guess I had always assumed it was a " fitness gimmick." Is this not the case?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What are you fat settings? Protein doesn't keep me full the way that fat does, or better yet, fat plus protein. (Nuts really help me.)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is protein powder healthy? Safe? Having never done any research on it I guess I had always assumed it was a " fitness gimmick." Is this not the case?

Protein powders are for people who struggle to get in enough protein with food. It's not a "gimmick," just a food supplement.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Uh, not to sound stupid, but if you weight 143 lbs and are 5' 9" tall why the hell do you want to lose weight? I'm 5' 9" tall, 145 lbs and athletic. People comment on how thin I am. I'm actually muscular, lanky and about 20-30lbs heavier than they think I am. I suggest you rethink weight loss and give some real thought to recomp/weight lifting to shrink down your waist (or whatever parts you're thinking to shrink). My measurements are 36D, 26.5 35. You can have a small waist, keep your bust, and not starve yourself skinny!
  • dscampbell1979
    Options
    Your diary says you ate 1000 calories at dinner and near 1000 calories in snacks a day ago. You could knock off about 400 of those calories by dropping the coke (switch to diet if you like).

Ha! Yes! The coke was from a rare night of having drinks with friends. I've not convinced myself yet that the dangers of artificial sweeteners is worth saving the calories. It's not a regular thing so I guess it wouldn't hurt to switch.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

Not all protein powders have the same combination of fats/carbs/protein. I like ON gold standard Whey.

In general, though, protein powder is just protein. It's food, and nothing else. It doesn't have any magical fitness or weight loss powers. It's just a way for people to get protein in a slightly more convenient form. I could eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, but sometimes I don't want to deal with it, and I'd rather have a chocolate protein shake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

It can be gimmicky but I just look at it as an easy way to hit my protein goal. It can also be pretty cost effective too. It doesn't do anything magical in way of building muscle or losing weight (as some people imply), it is simply a protein source, just like a piece of chicken. It does tend to be lower calorie with a lot of protein in one serving - I think mine is like 120 calories for 20+ grams of protein.
    I haven't seen anything reliable that suggests it is unhealthy or unsafe.

ETA - I was typing at the same time as the guy above. LOL at the "magical" in both posts.
  • dscampbell1979
    Options
    Uh, not to sound stupid, but if you weight 143 lbs and are 5' 9" tall why the hell do you want to lose weight? I'm 5' 9" tall, 145 lbs and athletic. People comment on how thin I am. I'm actually muscular, lanky and about 20-30lbs heavier than they think I am. I suggest you rethink weight loss and give some real thought to recomp/weight lifting to shrink down your waist (or whatever parts you're thinking to shrink). My measurements are 36D, 26.5 35. You can have a small waist, keep your bust, and not starve yourself skinny!

I am thin and get told constantly that I need to just eat a cheeseburger. I don't necessarily want to lose weight. The advice I've been reading on here says I can't get rid of the " baby belly" and saddlebags unless I lose weight. Is this not true? I'm hoping to start lifting heavy weights within the next few weeks to build muscle. Will this get rid of the belly? Your measurements are what I aspire to! I am 36D, 29, 38. This is why I thought I had to lose weight.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Ha! Yes! The coke was from a rare night of having drinks with friends. I've not convinced myself yet that the dangers of artificial sweeteners is worth saving the calories. It's not a regular thing so I guess it wouldn't hurt to switch.

I'd skip the diet and make the switch to Zevia! It is a stevia sweetened cola, tastes lovely and (for me) is a solid replacement on the rate occasion I find myself wanting a cola.

Also - re: non meat sources of protein: I like cheese. I know not everyone is a big fan because it is an unusually high calorie/fat way to get protein, but I love it and I have string cheese, havarti, mazarella, and feta incorporated into my diet on a regular basis. As long as I'm within my caloric goal I'm okay, and to be honest I just really like cheese and I want to have a long-term diet where I can continue to eat it healthfully! I even have it on my lower days... shhhh.

Also for protein powder - go to Whole Foods and grab a few of the their veg-based ones if you are unsure. Not only do they have a wide variety, but almost all of them have single serving sample-sizes so you can narrow down which ones you like and which you don't. They have incredibly high quality, organic ingredients and could be a nice gateway for introducing you to that world. If you are looking for a whey protein, Muscle Milk tastes the best hands down. But it is higher calorie and fat than a lot of the aforementioned veg-based ones and they don't have sample sizes readily available so you will be stuck with that one gallon flavor if you like it or not.
  • dscampbell1979
    Options

Not all protein powders have the same combination of fats/carbs/protein. I like ON gold standard Whey.

In general, though, protein powder is just protein. It's food, and nothing else. It doesn't have any magical fitness or weight loss powers. It's just a way for people to get protein in a slightly more convenient form. I could eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, but sometimes I don't want to deal with it, and I'd rather have a chocolate protein shake.

Mmmmm chocolate protein shake! You had me at chocolate! I think the "magic" is why I have never looked into it lol