is black coffee considered water?

Options

Replies

• onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ah now coffee is meant to be fine and hydrating ( not as hydrating as water, but like the posters above pointed out, the water content is meant to outweigh the diuretic effect it has)- or so the research has told me. However, erm, sorry to say this, but when I have a few cups of coffee in the am the pee hydration tests fails.... but maybe I just drink way too much!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Coffee slows down your metabolism. Drinking early in the morning do now help you on your fitness journey.
    Since your body is over 90% water you need water, not including in your drinks. Don't forget that the calories in coffee counts toward your daily intake.

psulemon keeps messaging me to be nice (an MFP mod)

But when I read posts like this, how is it possible?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee. I have a hard time getting in water. Is it ok to count black coffee or tea as a water ?

On the mornings my wife makes the coffee - I consider it about as close to water as one can get with coffee. :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

Tell me, how many calories does black coffee have? How quickly will those black coffee calories add up?

4 calories per 8 ounce cup. But I'm sure you could have looked it up faster than I told you.

It adds up as quickly as my morning is slow.

So a person with a 500 calorie deficit would have to drink 125 eight ounce cups before blowing their deficit. Good to know.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If I drink it from a cup or glass, I count it as water. If I use a spoon (soups, etc) I do not count it. I usually get 9-10 cups of water anyway (love seeing the splash over in my diary) and typically 5-6 of them are plain water so I don't worry too much about it. I generally count my morning coffee as 1 cup of water even though I may end up with closer to 2 cups of coffee.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

Tell me, how many calories does black coffee have? How quickly will those black coffee calories add up?

4 calories per 8 ounce cup. But I'm sure you could have looked it up faster than I told you.

So a person with a 500 calorie deficit would have to drink 125 eight ounce cups before blowing their deficit. Good to know.

I'm screwed!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is considered black coffee.

Water is considered water.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Please search the forums before posting duplicate threads. This thread was posted 1 month ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1219932-how-do-you-count-coffee
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is considered black coffee.

Water is considered water.

so that fact that ALL of the liquid is water is meaningless?
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would say no. The reason we are encouraged to drink 8 glasses of water a day is to make sure that we are hydrated. Caffeinated coffee actually does the opposite - it dehydrates you, so I don't think it counts, sorry!

Myth.

^^^ this
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    Please search the forums before posting duplicate threads. This thread was posted 1 month ago.

O noes, ze forum gestapo have arrived!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This is definitely why my weight loss has slowed. But maybe that .25 oz of extra urine I'm losing will even it out? I know I burn more than 4 calories with all the extra trips to the bathroom.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yup.

Water comes from anything that has water in it: coffee, tea, juice, pop, fruit, veggies, etc

MFP really needs to take out the water log in the diary because it perpetuates this 8 glasses of plain water myth.

"There's nothing magical about water from a glass of water as opposed to water from a food or any other beverage," Barr said.

Drinking caffeinated beverages such as tea and coffee do not lead to dehydration, said Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a nephrologist at the University of Pennsylvania who reviewed research claims on drinking eight glasses of water and studied how the kidneys handle it"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • Headingforhealthier
    Options
    I only count water that came from the top of Mt. Olympus and was strained through a Greek god's loin cloth.

^^ Truthiness.
  • Tejaco
    Tejaco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends in terms of what. It seems to have a tiny amount of calories, which water does not, but they are darn near negligible unless you add sugar and cream.

Don't worry about the diuretic effect. Anything is a diuretic if it makes you pee, so in that sense, water is a diuretic. What matters is if it causes you to lose more fluid than it puts in. Caffeine can do that at first, for people who haven't drunk caffeine for a long while, but for most of us, we build a tolerance and it doesn't affect us that way (though maybe it might interact with medicines, I wouldn't know). Here's just one of many studies citing that caffeine does not cause more fluid loss than the liquid going in.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

Even before they debunked the "caffeine dehydrates you" myth, I already knew it wasn't true. Anyone who's had a hangover knows what dehydration feels like, and caffeine never does that.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee as water but I do count my iced green teas as water - no calories and very little caffeine. I say whatever works for you, works for you. I also don't pay much attention to the number of cups of water - I pay more attention to my body, look for signs of dehydration (headaches, "hunger pains" when you feel you shouldn't be hungry, etc) and watch the color of my urine. Works for me so far!
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just count it.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I only count water that came from the top of Mt. Olympus and was strained through a Greek god's loin cloth.

^^ Truthiness.

Nice one!
  • boxingfun75
    boxingfun75 Posts: 11
    Options

O noes, ze forum gestapo have arrived!

This made me laugh!