Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Did you write this in the wrong thread?

No.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Cereal. Because a real bowl of cereal is not the same thing as a serving of cereal, at least not in my world. I would eat a giant bowl with lots of milk and it turns out a bowl of cereal was like 500 calories.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been aware of/counting calories for forever, so not too many shockers, but just recently I got a wake up with Sonic's shakes. They are ridiculously high in calories and low in flavor. I can have a triple scoop of super premium ice cream from my favorite ice cream place for less calories than a lot of Sonic's shakes.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    biggest shoker was how small a single serving of peanut butter is. A tablespoon!!!!! WHAAAAAA!!! I was always globbing the stuff on.

Oh, and that there were 17 servings in a 750 mil of alchol! That's friggin 1870 cals in that bottle of rum. With a 12 back of bud light, another 1560, That's a one pound gain for that weekend day!!! Let alone all the food we ate!!" <-- omg, 2 be 20 again!!!

here was another one- one of my staples today- cottage cheese..... there are fewer cals and "more protein" in low fat than full fat! Whaaaaaat!! I am a whole fooder- but not with cottage cheese.

I could go on and on

oh- how about the 130 cals, per tablespoon of blue cheese dressing. per TABLESPOON!!! hahaha Back in the day I would eat my salad completely white with dressing. Just an extra 3,4 or 500 cals. haha Today I love Vinegar and oil (about 30 cals a serving)

ok, enuff outta me
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I didn't eat as much as i think i did, actually.

Oh, and salad calories. Dang.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds( sunflower, pumpkin, etc)
    Cheddar
    Cereals
    Pastry
    Fruit juice( from the shelf).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Did you write this in the wrong thread?

No.

Nice attempt at derailing the thread. I'm not biting, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything. Even veggies, I always expected them to be very low calories... I guess they are, compared to other things, but still 80 calories for 100g of peas... and that's not a lot of food.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The calorie counts when eating out are truly shocking but not surprising. I got a lemonade chiller at DQ, which does not have ice cream it in - and it was over 700 calories. OMG, lol.

For at home shockers I think I had two. The serving size for almonds is much much smaller than I would have anticipated.

Grapes have way more calories than I would have guessed - and they were not something I really portioned out for myself.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Large cookie dough blizzard: 1300 calories. D:
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches! A decent tuna melt is around 700 calories if I make it at home. That can easily go up in a diner if the bread is buttered and toasted on the grill and they're not stingy with the mayonnaise. Besides that, the melt is then typically served with a side of fries and ketchup.

I always thought of bread as just being there to hold the sandwich. I am not willing to spend that many calories on what I pretty much just consider an envelope. Unless it's a really good envelope. Like ciabatta. Different story entirely.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My chili's compromise is the enchilada soup (440 calls) and a frozen margarita (350ish)
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches and salads were my big thing. After I dropped 80+ pounds in college, I took a job in a bakery, and though i stayed away from the sweets, I had a sandwich breakfast/lunch) and salad (dinner) everyday (I was a shift manager, so it was free).

The sandwiches had 600-900 calories each. The salads were around the same, if not more.

At 2,500-3,500 calories a day, I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight when I was doing so well -not- eating the pastries, cookies and cakes we sold.

America needs a serious wake up call, and nutrition classes in our educational system.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how many calories were in several of the things I was eating on a regular basis. Happily, though, I was also surprised at how relatively easy it was to find lower calorie options that worked for me. Instead of 900 calories (per person) for the pizza my boyfriend and I used to split, we now get a thin crust version that has 350 calories per half to split and eat that with a side salad. I eat a lot of packaged and pre made stuff because I don't like to cook and I have found that there are tons of lower calorie but still yummy options. At this point I am not concerning myself with sodium or other things like that, just purely counting calories. So far, so good!
  • kjd153
    kjd153 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burritos - tasty and made from quality ingredients - but still over 1000 calories WITHOUT the addition of meat. It pains me to only be able to eat half and getting it in a bowl is just not as fun. Also, I think anyone that has ever tracked what they put in a salad from a salad bar gets the shock of a lifetime.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Large cookie dough blizzard: 1300 calories. D:

OMG. I had forgotten about DQ. I haven't gone there since the last time I counted calories and found out what's in a blizzard. I live about 4 blocks from one and whenever our local ice cream place (also within walking distance) is closed, my husband always suggests DQ and I'm like, "uh...or maybe we should just wait and get ice cream next week when our usual place is open."

How do they pack that many calories into those cups? Our local place is far from low fat, but they can't even come close to a DQ blizzard.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Grapes surprised me as well, but other fruit actually went the other way - strawberries, pineapple, mango, peaches, apricots, tangerines - all fewer calories than I expected. I was a bit paranoid about sweet fruit, I guess. I also thought beef was the answer to all protein woes, but it turns out chicken breast actually has more protein than a steak.
  • arcanaconsulting
    Options
    Peanut butter. Also, bagels.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bread. Just bread.
  • AndyN87
    AndyN87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Biggest shocker has been things like dressings, BBQ sauce, etc that all add up insanely quick. Thankfully I do like mustard..... but something like honey mustard has a ton of calories in it.