Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    bread, and shredded cheese. When you weigh it on a food scale, it's a tiny amount. I was probably using 3-4 times a serving size, and thinking I was having one serving. Those calories add up fast!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamers.
    Shredded cheese.
    Breakfast cereal. Now I just eat eggs for breakfast.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Tortillas.

How can one stinkin tortilla be 2-300 calories??? O___O
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    hardees 1/3 western extra bacon thinkburger 1010 cals bacon cheddar fries 530 cals 5 piece chicken tenders 440 cals.

thats a lot!!! ugh makes me not hungry lol
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    YES!! Everything shocked me. My Sis and I went on a healthy eating bend about a year ago buying only non processed, Cooking at home etc. Didn't lose an ounce. Then I started logging on here mid February, turns out I was eating way too much. And don't get me wrong, avacado is healthy but who knew it was like 300 cals? Id eat two sometimes in a day figuring it was the same as eating any other fruit/veg
    ETA I'm surprised everyone in the world is not fat. Portion sizes are ridiculous!
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burritos - tasty and made from quality ingredients - but still over 1000 calories WITHOUT the addition of meat. It pains me to only be able to eat half and getting it in a bowl is just not as fun. Also, I think anyone that has ever tracked what they put in a salad from a salad bar gets the shock of a lifetime.

I eat Chipotle ALL THE TIME and it's way, way less than 1000 calories, even with meat. What are you putting in that thing!? My current favorite is a bit bland for most folks, but it's great calorie-wise, & isn't bad for protein either. I do a burrito bowl w/chicken, white rice, black beans & guacamole - all for a total of 685 calories...and I usually only eat half that! Freakin' delish! (I try to avoid their salsas when I can convince myself to do so due to the HUGE amount of sodium in them, but I do often switch between the pico and the green tomatillo salsa.)

Anyways, it's pretty rare for me to be fully shocked by food out there. I think the biggest surprises I've found have mostly been about healthy stuff, like veggies and fruits. All that brainwashing we got in school about eating 'clean', but they forgot to mention that you can still get fat eating only 'healthy' foods...
  • ashleezona
    ashleezona Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Milkshakes from Sonic. Even the mini milkshakes, which seemed like such a good and healthy choice, are about 450 cals. I mean, what do they make it with, pure lard?

I bought a pint of ice cream to make shakes at home, thinking this would be plenty enough ice cream to make three shakes...but once I got it in the blender, it went down to nothing! We each had about a shot glass worth of milkshake to drink. Once I realized how much ice cream it actually takes to make a shake, I decided I would just have the ice cream!
  • metalkim85
    metalkim85 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, I know they're dipped in grease and fried, but ohhhh god are they good.

If I wanted cheese sticks I have to be really careful what else I eat. I'm sure a 4 piece is probably 800 calories.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Cereal. Because a real bowl of cereal is not the same thing as a serving of cereal, at least not in my world. I would eat a giant bowl with lots of milk and it turns out a bowl of cereal was like 500 calories.

This, I poured my "normal" portion in a bowl and then weighed the cereal.. it was like 4 or 5 servings.. 450 calories not including the milk. I was shocked for sure! And to make matters worse I would dump about 250 calories of granola on top because I thought it was healthy... and I was dieting..
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic mixed drinks. They add up fast !
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not really about calories, but I couldn't believe how much salt was in take-out food. I legit had no idea. One of my (former) favorites was the chicken basket at DQ with gravy. 2.6 grams (2570mg!!) of salt!! :huh:

Edit: Spelling
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Tortillas.

How can one stinkin tortilla be 2-300 calories??? O___O

Because those oh so tasty tortillas are basically just flour and lard with a touch of baking powder and salt. I know, I hate it too...
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    funnel cakes ----takeout pizza ---mayonase ---salad dressing---butter----jimmydean flap sticks
    poptarts---- fast foood especially mc donalds

snacks almost any kind of cake is packed with calories mainly >little debbies & tastycake <i cant name them all but alot of things got me eversence looking out for calories iam a strict one most times may not seem like alot 2 u but it is to me :0
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    How many calories are actually in Muppet meat... #mindblown
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    splenda/ artificial sweeteners...it turns out its not the "no calorie sweetener" they claim to be, its actually 4 calories and 1 carb a packet and I use like 20-25 - I drink between 4-6 16oz cups of coffee &/or tea a day each with 4-5 packets, plus one in my oatmeal/ yogurt, etc. so needless to say that stuff adds up.
  • RageEight
    RageEight Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The entire Cheese Cake Factory menu. Went there for a work function once, so I glanced at what was available, and insta-crapped. I figured I'd order the fish and chips, or something. Yeah, the full/dinner size is 2k calories if I remember right.
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Porridge and cereals :O
    I used to eat bowls of porridge with muesli but then found out how much 50g really is O.o
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the calories that shocked me it was the portion sizes they gave for the calories.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Rice. Quinoa. Peanut butter. Mayo. Butter.
  • Siriku
    Siriku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bread.

Bread is also my biggest weakness...if I could kick it, this fat loss thing would go a lot smoother.